Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DB Livery gone

Options
  • 25-02-2021 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The GTs are still getting repainted in the old livery for the time being at least so I'd say it will still be around for another 5-6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Why paint the GTs in the old (blue) livery but SGs in the new yellow/green? So far I've only seen SGs in the new livery.

What about EV, VG, VT and other older buses? I'm sure some will be sold as the newer fleet arrives but of those that will be retained, what's the plan for repaint - if any?

crosstownk wrote: »
    Why paint the GTs in the old (blue) livery but SGs in the new yellow/green? So far I've only seen SGs in the new livery.

What about EV, VG, VT and other older buses? I'm sure some will be sold as the newer fleet arrives but of those that will be retained, what's the plan for repaint - if any?

Just an update I have heard elsewhere that the NTA intend the new livery will be used on all PSO services in the state. So perhaps the GTs are actually supposed to be getting the new livery after all and the decision to repaint them in the old livery was either because of a misunderstanding by DB or a deliberate attempt by DB in order to hold onto their brand identity for as long as possible.

I'd imagine the argument behind keeping the EV, VG and VT in the old livery is that they won't have long enough left in service for them warrant a repaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

GT89 wrote: »
    Just an update I have heard elsewhere that the NTA intend the new livery will be used on all PSO services in the state. So perhaps the GTs are actually supposed to be getting the new livery after all and the decision to repaint them in the old livery was either because of a misunderstanding by DB or a deliberate attempt by DB in order to hold onto their brand identity for as long as possible.

I'd imagine the argument behind keeping the EV, VG and VT in the old livery is that they won't have long enough left in service for them warrant a repaint.

Yes indeed all PSO (except GAI I believe) services will get it eventually, the new BE LFs are also being delivered in this livery. However I understand that only buses with Euro6 engines will get the livery which is why the GTs continue to be repainted in the DB livery because only the "greenest" of the fleets will get the green livery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

GM228 wrote: »
    Yes indeed all PSO (except GAI I believe) services will get it eventually, the new BE LFs are also being delivered in this livery. However I understand that only buses with Euro6 engines will get the livery which is why the GTs continue to be repainted in the DB livery because only the "greenest" of the fleets will get the green livery.

I've heard that GAI will eventually get the new livery whenever their buses are due for repainting (mid-2022 at the earliest, but earlier if the NTA seek the funding to do it more quickly than that). Also, I've heard that the GTs may get it too.

They seem to be getting through the SGs very quickly. I see several in the new livery every day now. I even saw one in the background on an RTE News report just now.

.anon. wrote: »
    I've heard that GAI will eventually get the new livery whenever their buses are due for repainting (mid-2022 at the earliest, but earlier if the NTA seek the funding to do it more quickly than that). Also, I've heard that the GTs may get it too.

They seem to be getting through the SGs very quickly. I see several in the new livery every day now. I even saw one in the background on an RTE News report just now.

True I've seems to be a lot of buses in the new livery particularly on the 46a and the 155. Saw one with ads on the 13 for the first time last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Also the accompanying picture shows the wrong livery.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Littered with errors, but he's right about one thing - there's absolutely no need whatsoever for all the yellow. Or indeed any yellow at all. It's a great big bus, with an LED display on the front. Two-tone green would've been better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Littered with errors, but he's right about one thing - there's absolutely no need whatsoever for all the yellow. Or indeed any yellow at all. It's a great big bus, with an LED display on the front. Two-tone green would've been better.

True, especially since both DB and TFI (now) insist its for visibility yet no other bus company or legislation sees a need for it. If it was so important BE at least would have been repainted decades ago.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bg07 wrote: »
    Also the accompanying picture shows the wrong livery.

Why do I get the feeling that they specifically used the wrong picture, because the new livery actually looks very nice and most people seem to really like it, which would thus make the whole article look pretty stupid!

I do think there are nuggets in the article for discussion, but he seems to largely miss with the overall focus of the article.

For instance I agree that the bright yellow is unnecessary and he is correct that there is compelling psychological research that using too much high viz, people start to become blind to it and it loses it's usefulness.

This is something we have learned in the field of software design, that too many unnecessary warnings and pop-ups just teaches people to ignore them and click ok without thinking about it, which can be dangerous when something actually important comes up.

Buses don't need to be bright yellow, nor do people and kids out walking and cycling on city (note city, rural roads different story) footpaths need bright yellow. It is unnecessary and trains people to ignore it, which could be dangerous for the likes of Gardai, etc. who might need to stand in the middle of a road, stopping traffic, etc.

BTW similarly, these is why blue flashing emergency lights are legally limited to only emergency services. So that people don't get too use to it on the back of every builders truck, etc.

Having said all this. I do think that the new livery integrates it quiet well and looks very well overall.

bk wrote: »
    Why do I get the feeling that they specifically used the wrong picture, because the new livery actually looks very nice and most people seem to really like it, which would thus make the whole article look pretty stupid!

I do think there are nuggets in the article for discussion, but he seems to largely miss with the overall focus of the article.

For instance I agree that the bright yellow is unnecessary and he is correct that there is compelling psychological research that using too much high viz, people start to become blind to it and it loses it's usefulness.

This is something we have learned in the field of software design, that too many unnecessary warnings and pop-ups just teaches people to ignore them and click ok without thinking about it, which can be dangerous when something actually important comes up.

Buses don't need to be bright yellow, nor do people and kids out walking and cycling on city (note city, rural roads different story) footpaths need bright yellow. It is unnecessary and trains people to ignore it, which could be dangerous for the likes of Gardai, etc. who might need to stand in the middle of a road, stopping traffic, etc.

BTW similarly, these is why blue flashing emergency lights are legally limited to only emergency services. So that people don't get too use to it on the back of every builders truck, etc.

Having said all this. I do think that the new livery integrates it quiet well and looks very well overall.

The other thing the bright colours need to contrast with something dark. The blue and yellow DB livery and old TFI livery does this quite well as by using a bright colour with a dark colour makes the bright colour stand out more. Like the way many warning signs use black and yellow/amber as the black makes the bright colour stand out more rather than just the bright colour on it's own.

I wouldn't like to see two green back because it may look a bit outdated. I thought the old DB two tone livery gave the buses look like military vehicles. Why not have the yellow part of the bus white instead of yellow I think that would look quite good personally.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

GT89 wrote: »
    The other thing the bright colours need to contrast with something dark. The blue and yellow DB livery and old TFI livery does this quite well as by using a bright colour with a dark colour makes the bright colour stand out more. Like the way many warning signs use black and yellow/amber as the black makes the bright colour stand out more rather than just the bright colour on it's own.

While you are correct, in this case I think this is the point of the new livery.

It allows them to follow the letter of the demands from the disability groups, have yellow upfront, while creating a livery that overall is pretty nice and the yellow is relatively well integrated and doesn't stand out too much like it does on the Blue/Yellow GoAhead livery.

bk wrote: »
    While you are correct, in this case I think this is the point of the new livery.

It allows them to follow the letter of the demands from the disability groups, have yellow upfront, while creating a livery that overall is pretty nice and the yellow is relatively well integrated and doesn't stand out too much like it does on the Blue/Yellow GoAhead livery.

Yeah true but at least with the DB and GAI liveries there is something at the front of the bus to break up the yellow and provide a little bit of contrast at the front.

Interestingly, the Dublin Commuter Coalition did a survey on the new liveries and got the following results:
    The new TFI livery came out on top, with 65% of respondents saying they preferred the yellow and green design. The Dublin Bus livery received 26.5% of votes and the first attempt of the TFI livery was least favourable coming in at 8.5%.

Which feels in line with what most people I've asked have said, in fact if anything nearly everyone I've asked in the real world preferred the new livery.

Funny how the author of this article didn't mention this, despite seemingly having talked to DCC. Instead he said people are split. While technically true, 65% v 26.5% most people would consider that a resounding success.

Also the author said
    gushes the TFI website, which is decked out in the same wince-making shades
    , which having just looked is simply not true either. The website is 90% white, with about 5% green and no yellow. The only yellow is in the news ticker with a Covid19 sign and a picture of a bus. I have to say the TFI site is very modern and tasteful.

It feels to me that this author has an agenda. Very typical of Irish Times infrastructure coverage.

BTW Looking at pics again, the SG's actually look quiet nice, even from the front, not too much yellow, the black all around the display helps tone it done.

The issue is more with the new Enviro400ER's * which have too much yellow on the front and it is overwhelming. I wonder can they do something to tone it down.

BTW it still annoys me that they have called them PA's rather then the obvious choice of ER.

Advertisement