Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

We are a loser country. A servile, booticking little loser country. One reason the mask mandate was lifted in England was because it became apparent a good percentage of people were no longer bothering with them anyway. I went out for pints yesterday, I'd put on my good cologne and thought, **** this, I'm not having the mask rub it off me, I'm **** triple vaxxed (one minor bout of Covid, two vaccines) I was the only one on the bus not wearing it, one girl about 15 even told her fella "he's no mask on I'm not sitting there" (yet she's probably off to a gathering of 15- 30 other teenagers later on that evening. Logic eh).

As a people we are an embarrassment. We get given these rules because we don't challenge them. How can a nurse wearing medical grade PPE spread Covid between several patients but a 5 euro piece of cloth will protect bus passengers?

Must say btw pub was great yesterday, relative normality and not as dead as it was on July 26th as more people are now allowed in. Just wish there had been a big bang come one come all re opening rather than drip feeding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

My town centre was packed at 2.30am last nite, seems that most of the pubs are ignoring the 11.30 closing and rightly so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

That's the way it's going to be though, no "Freedom Day" moment but more of a gradual return to normality. Pubs are slowly but surely starting to fill up again from what I've seen and experienced.

As for others lamenting the lack of spontaneity, etc. that was always going to be the case, I don't know why anyone was expecting any different. The rules and regulations are temporary, and slowly people will start ignoring them and using common sense, and eventually they will be removed altogether. For now, I'm just grateful that I can go for a pint indoors and meet a few people, watch matches, and talk a bit of shite! Music and all the rest will come eventually.

Best thing this country can do is give an almighty middle finger to NPHET and the weirdos terrified of the mythical long Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,585 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Provide some verifiable evidence proving Long Covid does not exist or do not post in this thread again

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,585 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

crooked cockney villain is now threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 37,906 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

God help pubs all over Mayo (and Dublin) when they win the All Ireland final

Even covid himself would ignore them for that week and have a little holiday (only a joke lads relax)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I've definitely seen an uptick in trade of the few weeks my new place has been open and staff are getting more accustomed to taking orders, putting them through, grabbing tickets and making drinks and sending them out. It is a huge change to how things were done and reminds me of a stint I did in the States years ago. Honestly I kinda love dealing with a printer and I'll actually miss it when we're back to "2 vodka and cokes, and eh do you know what tom is drinking?" "Who's Tom and why didn't you ask them before coming to the bar?" "Oh and also a pint of guinness".

The rule allowing outdoor live music but not indoor is crazy though and caused so much heartache Saturday night with people going out for a smoke and staying outside and having to be told constantly that they can't congregate there and have to return to a table and if they want to sit outside we can try and hold a table if one opens up. Whoever thought this was a good idea, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Here’s hoping by this time next month we will be back to normal pub trading hours and late night bars. This 11:30pm closing is a killer.

• Advertisement

Gonna miss the house parties after the 11.30 closing time 😥

Will they be looking at extending pubs hours with the aim of going back to regular hours

23.30 close is shite

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Literally no actual information in that. What reopening date are they thinking about considering pubs have been open for a month??

Be nice to have the pubs back to proper hours by end of November if not before that but the elephant in the room will be the festivies of the times

October- Mid term/Halloween (there was no pubs open for that time last year)

November/December- full steam ahead Christmas/New Years celebrations but unlike 2020 no need for the €9 meal and no time limit

There will be pent up demand and who can blame people after the last 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 14,622 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Just a quick tip on the pub closing hours go out an hour earlier. Problem solved. It's not ideal but better better than focusing on that point.

I have no doubt you are a good and genuine person but you appear to have got sucked up in these threads always looking for negative news and inventing scenarios to get worried about. I can see how other posters might get frustrated reading the negativity and react.

Pubs are open now and from reading your other posts you have your pub passport. Go and enjoy yourself and not worry about things outside your control.

The government or NPHET are not out to get you or restrict your freedoms they are just trying to keep hospital levels at a level they can manage nothing more nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You'll get over it, for want of a better phrase.

A little later than I'd like as well but what can we do about that, nothing. Sure you'll be spoiled for choice that weekend with clubs as well

But in all seriousness In the grand scheme of things there's more important things to be eased first to be honest as much as we'd all like a late pint. If the cabinet want to move that 22nd forward a few weeks though it would be much appreciated (if any of them read boards) but getting closed sectors open and activities that aren't currently allowed would be a priority for me personally over an extra hour in the pub, even though its a pain in the arse

Post edited by stephenjmcd on

Get yourself a local, they'll sort you out for a late pint.

For a lad obsessed with drinking, you don't seem to have anywhere to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭PommieBast

• Advertisement

Not sure how true this is but apparently my local vinters polled owners on the issue and few were in any rush to push for its removal (11.30 kick out). I honestly don't think they can get the staff at the moment. Few can even open 7 days. It isn't like normal times where you can even have a one person show on midweek either. Need to check certs, take phone numbers, take orders and bring them to tables etc. which is making it even harder as the staff you already can't get are needed to do more cumulative hours in the week.

I'd hate the 23.30 close to be permanent

Would kill off nightclubs and late bars but thinks a certain cohert would be content with that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Of course it's not permanent, you've literally stated why it's not.

Programme for government includes later licensing hours

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Its not going to be permanent, nowhere has that being suggested, seriously why do you always bring up non existent issues?

Has there been any indication of a relaxation and when of the indoor hospitality rules? ie table service only, 6 at a table etc

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The 6 to a table thing is the big one for me, I'd wait for the 11:30 thing if it meant getting rid of the 6 rule. The enforcement of this is sporadic but it's irritating when it is enforced.

Haven't heard anything. I could see the table of six thing going easy enough but not sure how much actual impact that would have. It also comes with the unseen issue that the bigger the table is the longer it takes to split bills (but that's only a minor issue) and people have started to move back to using cash which can get messy in that situation. Guilty of that myself a few times recently. It'll be one thing I can't wait to get back to because I'm a paranoid weirdo about bank statements telling people where I spend my money :D

As for table service, I don't see an alternative until social distancing rules are gone and I'd wager they're the last thing to go. Picture a busy Saturday night in your local and the crowd of people waiting to order at the bar and now try and find space to put them into a socially distanced queue which would be a drab affair too. I really don't get the hate for table service tbh. You don't have to leave the table to order a drink and if you get good at it you can order in time to have your next drink arrive as you finish the last one even on busy nights (just order sooner) As someone who only really ever went to pubs on quieter nights cause I had to work the busier ones, the one busy night I'd take off for a friends party it would drive me mad how long people can wait at a bar for a drink

Not too bothered myself though i do prefer sitting at a bar but i used run pub poker tournaments and we hoping to get started again but if the 6 to a table rule and no moving between table rule is still being applied it makes it awkward.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah massively prefer sitting at a bar when given the chance!

I feel your pain. I like to go play magic (card game) in a local shop once a week and we still can't but if his shop was a restaurant or a bar 6 of us could sit around a table playing. The niche activities are always likely to suffer from the rules I guess. Never crossed my mind about poker but yeah can see why that would be difficult, hopefully things can get back open soon so those kind of things are back by accident basically.

Advertisement