Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sambowden

hey, i wondered this with mine - I got it 2:45pm on Monday 26th, I checked it just before midnight on the following Sunday and it failed and then I checked again just after midnight (i.e. 0:05am on Monday 2nd) and it passed as valid. so ya, yours will be valid at the stroke of midnight, wont have to wait until lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

If I could thank this twice I would! That’s exactly what I was hoping someone had done. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Oh Jesus Christ.

Six months from May is November. Hopefully by then this QR code nonsense is gone by then anyway as I've two mates who are refusing to get the vaccine and I wouldn't mind a pint with them.

The thread I opened on it really is an eye opener to media manipulation. I'll get my second vaccine because I've taken dodgier substances than a vaccine, but the ignorance of people who can't fathom why people refuse to take it is hilarious, it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

wonder what NPHETS excuse will be for not allowing the 11.30pm curfew to end

'Too risky as peoples inhabitations will be lowered and potential spreading of the virus in nightclubs etc'

You should probably distance yourself from idiots rather than go for a pint with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

NPHET are slowly but surely becoming yesterday's news. Nobody will give a toss what they have to say in a few weeks when we're all vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i would be surprised if pubs dont have a jukebox playing away at least, gardai wont be enforcing the music thing, around me you wouldnt get a garda car for a few hours or the next day anyway if you wanted one to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

Pubs in my town having live music, guards couldn't give a ****. They are in the pubs when off work

yeah i imagined it would be nearly up to pubs to stick their neck out when in rural towns and villages id think you would be a long time waitng for a gaurd to come in and pull the plug on a dj or a lad with a guitar. id imagine the restrictions will offically be in place til late november but things like music , sitting at the bar will be half expected to just peter out themselves over the next couple of weeks.

A friend of mine was at a wedding at a popular hotel in the midlands last weekend where they had a DJ and everyone was out dancing. Said the craic was mighty. Was something like the old times

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It is a real depressing state of our industry that never seems to go away and why I'd never start a pub in Ireland. You are wrapped around the local guards little fingers. Garda Pat wants to bring down a few of his mates for late drinks and you want to say no? Ok, then garda Pat will be down tomorrow in uniform to question you on the music being played by the lad in the corner, and he'll be back at 11.35 to make sure there isn't any customers left on the premises.

It's hard to see them agreeing to get rid of the 23.30 curfew

It boggles my mind that this is still in place. It feels like a carry over of when pubs were opening as restaurants and tables had time limits, therefore most kitchens would well have been closed by then. My only guess is they don't want outdoor drinking to carry on much later but really it isn't a huge difference from normal times. It is the same kick out time as a Sunday and half an hour earlier than Mon - Thurs (so like 1 pint). It only really has an impact on Friday and Saturday nights, and people can just go out earlier on a Saturday if they want to get on it so it doesn't make much impact there.

I definitely can't see them letting late bars and niteclubs open yet though so I wouldn't go expecting 3am kick outs. What I wouldn't give for 24 hour licensing :(

Sure everyone is congregating outside the pubs

The government really are a bunch of headless chickens

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yep, because pre covid no one ever gathered in the smoking area......

Honestly the public have to own their part to play in our archaic licensing laws and kick hours. If even half of the effort that is put into lobbying bartenders on a Saturday night to change the licensing hours in this country was directed at the law makers of the country instead we might be a bit more progressive. This is something that has bugged me long before covid.

I do hope the 11.30 is scrapped soon, right now 12-8 shifts are a bit crap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭Glebee

Go out early on a Saturday because its early closing time but then at closing time head for a house party because its too early to go home and you have a goo on you, is what happening alot in my circle...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Thats happened to me a good few times and I'm too old for house parties at this stage, I still have wound up in a few.

Where the 12:30 last order, 1 or slightly after kick out time, I was always straight home and into bed.

A few weeks ago I said here that there would be some media furore when a video gets out of young people having fun in a rural pub, right on time, some session in the Healy Rae's pub gets sent to the media by some absolute lowlife.

I'm actually getting bored of how much I've correctly predicted on all this tbh.

Problem is, we have Paul Reid claiming today we will reach peak vaccination by late August, yet the likes of Electric Picnic a month later is still cancelled, and the All Ireland is at 50%.

So if we reach peak vaccine, but don't get our freedom restored on that day, exactly when do we, and what is the justification for not having it from September 1st?

When can we attend a traditional pub- walk in, no taking of details, order at the bar, sit at the bar, talk to whoever I want, stand in the corner because it's so packed there are no seats, match on the projector screen, band playing after that, on to a nightclub or disco bar followed by a busy Supermacs and a crowded Nightlink home if you wish...you know, a night out?

Various forms of the above are now the norm throughout most of Europe, mostly, to my knowledge, countries with lower vaccination rates than us. Yet we have absolutely nothing beyond that a plan for nightlife might be drafted, not enacted, drafted, by early September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭saabsaab

When the Delta variant 'burns out' soon with all the vaxs we should be at herd immunity?

Not even Leo fully understands his own guidelines

well i think the genie is well and truly out of the bottle now, i expect in more rural towns where gardai are not prowling around picking low hanging fruit that there will be very little adherance to any restrictions now live music is back for outside that means set the guy up in a little marquee at the back door nd speaker inside , im sure DJs can now play away in beer gardens or set up just outside the door, basically you can have an outdoor nightclub surely now? either way theres going to be no one inspecting these charades from now on. i would expect full normality bar opening hours in a weeks time in most pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It's not going to burn out. Vaccinated people can still contract Covid and transmit it to others. The vaccine only gives you a good chance of not getting seriously ill with Covid and being hospitalised.

Not your ornery onager

My god the horror of that! So a vaccinated person can contract it, not get sick, pass it onto another vaccinated person who won't get sick, who will pass it onto yet another vaccinated person, etc, etc, etc.

Once the population is vaccinated at large, in general, people will not be getting sick from this disease. Of course there will be a few outliers, but in no way does that justify any restrictions. Time for people to let go of their unhealty obsession with Covid, "de numbers", and get on with living their lives. Those who don't want to should stay hunkered down in their bunkers until they feel safe to return to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Vaccinated people are less likely to catch it or transmit it.. As Delta travels through the vaccinated population it should confer more immunity bit like a booster shot. This may lead to it having nowhere to go and 'burning out'. We have to hope no other variant takes over.

Are they scanning QR codes or just asking for certificat ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm in North Dublin and they are scanning certs

Yep, every pub I was in last weekend was doing scanning and taking contact details, albeit the odd one forgot to check ID.

Gotta be honest, didn't enjoy myself. It's all too sanitised, a week before hand I was drinking at the bar on a stool in packed London pubs. Most places were empty and all.

• Advertisement

Have to say my experience has been the complete opposite. Rural village, 5 pubs, only 2 of which are enforcing the regulations and even so, they are quite liberal with the rules. Being in the other 3 pubs is like taking a step back to 2019, sit at the bar, talk to whoever you like. All busy and doing well, the one conclusion I've reached is people are eager to get out and about again.

Advertisement