Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The last smoke in Amsterdam

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I would go for the professional couple spending less. I've spoken to groups of lads over on boozy weekends and the amount of money they drop is incredible. Usually close to a grand just for the weekend. You'll be hard pressed to find a hotel room that's not a slum for less than 150 a night. They arrive on the friday and get mashed and probably drop another 100 on booze, taxis, grub. Saturday they'll get breakfast and a pint, that's about 25 right there. Then they'll go and take in a few sights. Trust me not all the "weekend warriors" are the dregs of society. They might be blue collar guys but a lot of them are sound and want to explore the city. If they are football guys they'll want to go out and do the tour of the Johan Cruyff Ajax Stadium and maybe buy some merchandise. Some will even have a mooch around the flower market and take a one hour canal cruise. Some will actually (heaven forbid) have gone online and heard about the Anne Frank house or the Van Gogh museum and decide that this is the perfect way to kill an hour or 2 in the afternoon before going back on the sauce. They'll pile into some steakhouse in the early evening and drop 60 or 70 a head on a dinner. Then go bar hopping. Probably hit the RLD and sample a lady of the night Then go clubbing or whatnot and get kebab soakage as the night comes to an end the taxis back to the hotel again. Sunday is a similar affair......full Irish in the pub and then stay on if there's a match on and have more pints. Trust me drinking in Amsterdam isn't far off Temple Bar prices with 6.50 for a pint being the norm. They'll probably pick up some souvenirs for the wife, mother, gf like kitschy delft clogs or a t-shirt with a big penis on it. And then head to the airport.

The professional couple by comparison will have a coffee and croissant, then spend the day walking around taking selfies and maybe sit on a terrace nursing a glass of wine for 2 hours. They might browse a few antique shops or take the train out to Zaanschans to see the windmills. Have dinner and stroll a bit more and then call it a day.

I've visted about 6 times, 5 with the lads before I was married and once with the wife. I definitely would agree with that. Lads weekends will spend a lot of money. Couples, a lot less.

I would have thought Amsterdam had it down nicely, the lads on the beer are mainly confined to the RLD. You can visit amsterdam and have a nice weekend and not go into the RLD and you wouldn't even know about the "reputation".

As for the money spend, put it like this, I might not have ever visited if it wasn't for the coffee shops. So that's 6 trips they got out of me. Wonder how many people never visit because of the RLD? Probably not many. It's a major tourist attraction, even for couples people want a look.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

We might have met unknowingly :D

Actually I'm not a weed smoker per se.

One does not need to be a weed smoker to have bumped into each other :D

Well, I've been to Amsterdam about 30 times. Originally, it was a small group of guys, two smokers, one not. Cafes, restaurants, etc. There wasn't much drinking going on, because, frankly, we could do that at home. The focus was more on the smoking and the bakeries. Some RLD action but, honestly, once you've been there a few times, you quickly lose interest in the scam nature of the place. It was usually easier to hook up with other tourists anyway.

Since then, I've usually went there single, meeting friends who live there. Again, very little in the way of drinking. Some clubbing with the usual party drugs, but mostly, it consists of walking around, chatting, while being slightly toasted.

TBH I haven't seen much of this "lad" party heavy drinking atmosphere that's spoken of here. The vast majority of people I met were "on something" but it wasn't the case of people being overly rowdy, like you'd find in Ibiza or the Greek Islands.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well, I've been to Amsterdam about 30 times. Originally, it was a small group of guys, two smokers, one not. Cafes, restaurants, etc. There wasn't much drinking going on, because, frankly, we could do that at home. The focus was more on the smoking and the bakeries. Some RLD action but, honestly, once you've been there a few times, you quickly lose interest in the scam nature of the place. It was usually easier to hook up with other tourists anyway.

Since then, I've usually went there single, meeting friends who live there. Again, very little in the way of drinking. Some clubbing with the usual party drugs, but mostly, it consists of walking around, chatting, while being slightly toasted.

TBH I haven't seen much of this "lad" party heavy drinking atmosphere that's spoken of here. The vast majority of people I met were "on something" but it wasn't the case of people being overly rowdy, like you'd find in Ibiza or the Greek Islands.

In my few trips over my first one about 12 years ago was the only one I seen anyone really off their faces. It was late at night and it was more than weed they took. Any other time I was there it was relaxed and seen no major issues. The last time I went over was a group of lads for a birthday for 8/9 days. We walked around, cafes and pubs and even managed to visit Harleem which was a lovely spot to walk around the day we were there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Kimbot wrote: »
    In my few trips over my first one about 12 years ago was the only one I seen anyone really off their faces. It was late at night and it was more than weed they took. Any other time I was there it was relaxed and seen no major issues. The last time I went over was a group of lads for a birthday for 8/9 days. We walked around, cafes and pubs and even managed to visit Harleem which was a lovely spot to walk around the day we were there :)

I've stayed in Haarlem the last few times I was over there. It's a lovely peaceful spot. I'd love to live there.

I was over there a few years ago. I'd booked the first night in Amsterdam and a few nights in haarlem.

My one night there was the same time as this.
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/world-cup-2018/2407256/two-england-fans-jailed-for-football-riots-in-amsterdam-before-friendly-with-holland/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I highlighted it in your original post.

In the 20 years that I have been getting off the train at Centraal Station, or Amsterdam RAI or off the Metro at Waterlooplein on my way home from work I have never once been met by the smell of weed in the air.

The only smells I seem to recall are if someone is eating a bag of French Fries or a Febo burger.

Sorry, didn't spot your highlight (due to using dark mode) so thanks for responding.

When I lived in Holland people could smoke on trains and on station platforms and I was often hit by the smell as you got off the train. I have no reason to make this up.

Of course that's changed now with smoking regulations. I'm only talking about Centraal Station and not the others you mentioned.
    You would often smell walking on the street too as people (mostly tourists) do walk around smoking a spliff.

Agree with your other post about money spent by weekend lads on the lash but I suppose the idea is that the money is only going to a certain sector and going for the higher end will maybe bring in more.

Either way the economy cannot be everything and you have to consider other factors in the city such as aesthetics, policing, environment etc.

I also think the RLD has major links to organsied crime and the trafficking so can understand they want to eliminate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Cienciano wrote: »
    I've visted about 6 times, 5 with the lads before I was married and once with the wife. I definitely would agree with that. Lads weekends will spend a lot of money. Couples, a lot less.

I would have thought Amsterdam had it down nicely, the lads on the beer are mainly confined to the RLD. You can visit amsterdam and have a nice weekend and not go into the RLD and you wouldn't even know about the "reputation".

As for the money spend, put it like this, I might not have ever visited if it wasn't for the coffee shops. So that's 6 trips they got out of me. Wonder how many people never visit because of the RLD? Probably not many. It's a major tourist attraction, even for couples people want a look.

Amsterdam has this reputation for being this sex and drug Mecca. It's not. I mention to people that I live here (between here and Dublin) and their ears prick up saying "Wow, that must be insane" as if I spend my waking hours snorting coke off womens tits.

It's as if you were to say to somebody that you live in Ireland or Scotland and they say "Wow.....what's it like to spend every day swimming in whiskey?".

Berlin and Hamburg have a much more raunchy sex scene. Swinger clubs, live sex shows where YES people from the audience do sometimes get brought up on stage and shag the woman, fetish clubs, etc. I think Amsterdam is pretty tame compared to a lot of so-called sex destinations.

+1

When I first moved to Amsterdam I sampled the ladies of the evening a few times. But as you mentioned that's gets stale very quickly and it was more just to get it over and done with. Out of my system you might say. Much more fun to go to some rock bar and hook-up with an Aussie backpacker girl for a laugh and a roll in the hay.

Go to any spot in Ireland or the UK where people go boozing at night and the place is carnage at midnight. Fights, girls vomiting while their mates are staggering up the street in their bare feet with the stilletoes in hand stepping over broken glass and rivers of piss. Guys passed out covered in kebab sauce or blood or both.

You would never see that in Amsterdam.

Kimbot wrote: »

Friend of mine just bought a lovely little house in Haarlem about a 2 minute walk from the cathedral and about a 6 minute walk from the train station. 250k

Jammy bastard!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't spot your highlight (due to using dark mode) so thanks for responding.

When I lived in Holland people could smoke on trains and on station platforms and I was often hit by the smell as you got off the train. I have no reason to make this up.

Of course that's changed now with smoking regulations. I'm only talking about Centraal Station and not the others you mentioned.
    You would often smell walking on the street too as people (mostly tourists) do walk around smoking a spliff.

Agree with your other post about money spent by weekend lads on the lash but I suppose the idea is that the money is only going to a certain sector and going for the higher end will maybe bring in more.

Either way the economy cannot be everything and you have to consider other factors in the city such as aesthetics, policing, environment etc.

I also think the RLD has major links to organsied crime and the trafficking so can understand they want to eliminate that.

You haven't been able to smoke on a train in the Netherlands since 2002, And even before that I don't think smoking weed was allowed. I certainly never experienced it. There are still a few designated smoking (tobacco) areas in some of the bigger train stations.

I dislike the smell of weed but I can get a waft of it pretty much anywhere in the street. No different to someone farting.

If there's one thing the Dutch should address it's the attitude of cyclists who think they own the world. I opened the door of a taxi onetime and a girl on a bike ploughed into it. She got up and started swearing that I should have been looking and all that crap. The two guys that she was with concurred with her complaints. I politely explained to them that the rules of the road state that you don't pass a stationary car on the inside and in fact on the outside you should allow for a metre should the driver's door open. I also mentioned that we could have a cop come over and verify this. They grumbled and huffed and puffed and fucked off.

Anyway, I digress, but thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Haarlem is a sweet spot, Patronaat fantastic music venue.

Friend of mine just bought a lovely little house in Haarlem about a 2 minute walk from the cathedral and about a 6 minute walk from the train station. 250k

Jammy bastard!

The catherdal was a really nice spot, they had a market on it when I was there and it was relaxing to just sit back with an ice cream in and around it :)

Berlin and Hamburg have a much more raunchy sex scene. Swinger clubs, live sex shows where YES people from the audience do sometimes get brought up on stage and shag the woman, fetish clubs, etc. I think Amsterdam is pretty tame compared to a lot of so-called sex destinations.

Totally agree on this. Berlin, and Hamburg are much better for getting your kicks off, and with a much wider range of choice than Amsterdam. Berlin especially. I'd give Munich an honorable mention, since some of their 'underground' clubs and countryside chateaux party houses, are just nuts. The Germans are like the Japanese. Just nutty when it comes to sex.

TBH, I've had more access to drugs and women (paid/unpaid) in Paris, and Barcelona, than Amsterdam.

Amsterdam simply carries a reputation.. and while it's a lovely city, there are far better options across Europe, if you really want to do drugs or get laid. Cheaper options too, and without many of the scams that exist there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Jammy bastard!

I'd move there tomorrow but prices I've seen are definitely higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Treppen wrote: »
    That's a bit of a tired stereotype.

You might be surprised that the many of the citizens partake in drug use also. But it was the first to break the mold so attracts the illegal elements, same as Nimbin in Australia.

But look at other cities in Holland which have decriminalised and you barely hear them get a mention.

I've heard they've cleaned Nimbin up... God that was a strange, strange little town

I've heard they've cleaned Nimbin up... God that was a strange, strange little town

I doubt they really can clean up Nimbin, since many of the hippies settled in the nearby areas.

Agreed. Strange town.. but some of the best shrooms I've ever had. Plus it made Brisbane, and surfers paradise far more fun to be in, once the tourist honeymoon feeling had gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I've never been to Australia, but it strikes me as a country totally obsessed with rules and being self-righteous about it. Have heard a few reports from people that they found it to be up-tight and basically a giant Singapore: rules, silly laws, and fines for so much as farting sideways.

Always thought Kiwis are a far more relaxed bunch.

Yurt! wrote: »
    I've never been to Australia, but it strikes me as a country totally obsessed with rules and being self-righteous about it. Have heard a few reports from people that they found it to be up-tight and basically a giant Singapore: rules, silly laws, and fines for so much as farting sideways.

Always thought Kiwis are a far more relaxed bunch.

Err... like anywhere there are differences depending where you are.

Queensland isn't terribly formal or self-righteous. TBH I found it to be the most relaxed area in Oz.. so much so that I spent three years working professionally in Brisbane, while also getting stoned, drinking, pool parties, surf parties, great bbq (facilities in parks which weren't vandalised), etc. They had certain rules but then considering the heaps of Irish/British who go there to party and fight, I can certainly understand their need for those rules.

But then, I've met a lot of people who think Brisbane and the surrounding area was boring compared to the rest of Oz... but between the wine producers, the hippies, and the surfers, the area could be a lot of fun. Not anything like how you've just described... unless it's changed that much in the last few years.

Advertisement