Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will you go first?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I haven’t been home to Ireland now in over a year and my grandparents are old and not in the best of health. We’re not a hugely sentimental family but I do miss them both hugely, as well as my mother. I miss sitting in the kitchen over cups of tea and slices of homemade bread nattering. I’d love a few pints of Guinness in the local pub and a stroll around the mountains nearby. Whatsapp and FaceTime etc are all well and good but there’s no real substitute, it’s very frustrating as well because they’re only an hour away. I’ll probably sack off ‘foreign’ travel this year and concentrate on spending as much time at home with the family

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Killing everyone over 29 years old ?

Isn't that what the Corona virus was supposed to do? ;)

🙈🙉🙊

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Brian? wrote: »
    What kind of engineering? Eindhoven is probably the place for you.

Mechanical/Manufacturing and currently in Telecomms. Yep Eindhoven or at least the area around it would suit perfectly. Been contacted by a heap of recruitment agencies from in and around there too without sticking the neck out and it seems to be quite a little hive of manufacturing. On the doorstep of Efteling too and easy access to Germany, France, Belgium etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mechanical/Manufacturing and currently in Telecomms. Yep Eindhoven or at least the area around it would suit perfectly. Been contacted by a heap of recruitment agencies from in and around there too without sticking the neck out and it seems to be quite a little hive of manufacturing. On the doorstep of Efteling too and easy access to Germany, France, Belgium etc

If you're serious about the move send me a PM. Stay away from the agencies, they'll pay you less to do the same job as if you're direct hired. They'll tell you it's easier get hired with them, when it isn't.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Candie wrote: »
    Straight to the airport and on to see my family. I am going to hug every one of them for hours - especially my dad and gran, whether they want me to or not.

I want my baby to meet the other side of his family, I'm sure he thinks they live in the screen or phone. On the way to the airport I might drop by the pool and swim until I can't anymore.

Then I want to meet up with friends I haven't seen and miss terribly.

Then I want us to have the honeymoon we didn't have, and I'm happy to go almost anywhere for that.

Then I want to have an overnight away by myself, as I haven't been alone for a single moment for almost a year now and I miss me.

I don't care where I go, I just want to know I can go anywhere.

Great post Candie. Your baby thinking your family live in a screen properly made me laugh:)

I'd like to go to Rhodes for a week, beautiful island with lovely people, beaches, food and of course weather.

I plan on meeting my sisters in Thailand next year too but ill have a newborn baby and god knows how the world will look but id even be happy with a trip to Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

My folks live in Spain so im going for a few months to work from there. I was told by HR in work that i'm not allowed leave Ireland while working even though I am working from home but I couldnt give a bollocks at this stage, they'll never find out. I'm hoping to go around May/June if its possible. They're currently only letting residents in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭thomil

At the risk of bringing down the mood in this thread, the first thing I‘ll visit is actually my parents‘ grave. I’ve never been there since their respective funerals.

Their passing really knocked me out and by the time I finally mustered the courage to go and visit it, COVID had struck. I‘m not really looking forward to it, but it‘s something I just have to do.

After that, my friends in Frankfurt, then on to Hamburg.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

thomil wrote: »
    At the risk of bringing down the mood in this thread, the first thing I‘ll visit is actually my parents‘ grave. I’ve never been there since their respective funerals.

Their passing really knocked me out and by the time I finally mustered the courage to go and visit it, COVID had struck. I‘m not really looking forward to it, but it‘s something I just have to do.

That’s rough. Sorry for your loss.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    That’s rough. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks. Things are getting better.

The one „good“ thing about the chain of events, which also included having my apartment lease terminated and finally my team at work being shut down that when COVID rolled around, my mind was already well used to dealing with disasters. I‘d been in a mental state of emergency for over two years when the lockdowns came in. For me, it literally felt like just another day in the office…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

thomil wrote: »

Visiting graves is currently allowed. Although if it's far away you might not feel comfortable. My dad died 2 years ago this July, I still haven't been able to bring myself to go to the graveyard.

• Advertisement

@weldoninhio - First of all, sorry for your loss. As for visiting the grave, that is located in Speyer, Germany, which complicates matters a bit. I should have mentioned that earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I'll take a trip to Howth on the Dart. If the weather's good I'll take a 3 hour walk around Howth Peninsula before hitting the Bloody Stream pub for food and some creamy pints of Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I'm absolutely dying to get back to Ireland for a few weeks. I want to see my family, go to a hurling match that Galway are playing in, visit my holiday home, play some golf, have a few pints and a load of crab claws.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

When this neverending **** show of a pandemic eventually exits stage left, and we are once more allowed to depart this soggy Isle of mediocrity. What will your first destination be?

For us in the boot house we can't wait to get back to Efteling in the Netherlands, magical place, like Disney but darker, more European and not as much of a ripoff.

I loved Eftling! As did my then 5 and 8 year old sons. Been almost 20 years since we were there but we still laugh about how much fun the youngest got out of the farting stairs.
    Miaireland wrote: »
    Edinburgh. It is a city I worked in and visited regularly. I don't want to do anything wild. Just visit my favourite restaurants/coffee shops/parks/even travel on the bus route that took me to work.

This is my first place on the list for me. My sister lives there and had her first baby 4 weeks ago and am bursting to get my hands on her. We see her pretty much every day on WhatsApp but I want to smell her newborn smell, kiss her fluffy hair and feel her squirm in my arms.
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    Well I had to cancel my trip to Singapore/Malaysia and Thailand thanks to covid so maybe there

Stop...am missing my home in KL so bad. If I can't get back to Malaysia I am going to go to Thailand until I can get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Home to Ireland to say hello, drop off some presents, and then sod off to somewhere quiet, with animals. Africa, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

L1011 wrote: »
    I've got tickets to:

* a four day festival outside Amsterdam that is nominally the end of June but will be rescheduled imminently to the end of summer
    * a two day festival in Utrecht that is scheduled for September
    * a gig in Manchester that is scheduled for September

Whichever of those I can actually go to will probably be the first trip away.

I think you can scratch both the Dutch festivals. The lockdown here has been extended until June. They're hardly going to allow a festival to go ahead in the same month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I would just like to head across the road to the local hotel on a Friday evening with MrsBB.
    Settle in the bar, get presented with a bar food menu with no inclination of what I want to eat until I see what's on offer.
    Have a few drinks brought to the table.
    Have someone cook the food for me.
    Not have to think about washing up.
    Have no interruptions from kids or dogs.
    Order a taxi when we feel like leaving.
    Jog over the next morning to collect the car.

Would be happy out with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I would just like to head across the road to the local hotel on a Friday evening with MrsBB.
    Settle in the bar, get presented with a bar food menu with no inclination of what I want to eat until I see what's on offer.

I've never got a taxi across the road before, how much would that cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'd love to go to the "soggy Isle of mediocrity". It's been 18 months since I set foot on Irish soil.
    There's a bunch of grandparents who have not properly met their 3 month old big smiling bruiser of a grandson yet.
    Oh I'd love to go for a relaxing pint in Dublin, that could easily turn into a dozen and not have to worry about missing the train home.
    Then subject the kids to the drive west that I hated as a kid and let them see what proper beaches look like. Oh I'd love a surf although I doubt the old wetsuits still fit :/

Feenix wrote: »
    I've never got a taxi across the road before, how much would that cost?

€5/6 for a 2-mile journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Have 2 weeks to the DR booked in October. I couldn't give a fcuk at this stage - just booked it to have something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Dprk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭pgj2015

€5/6 for a 2-mile journey

hackney or illegal hackney? The minute the two of you get into the taxi the meter should read 7 euro. overall cost would be around 12 euro.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    hackney or illegal hackney? The minute the two of you get into the taxi the meter should read 7 euro. overall cost would be around 12 euro.

Booked from the taxi office, never paid those prices for a trip around the town where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Booked from the taxi office, never paid those prices for a trip around the town where I live.

ok. They must have loads of money doing it for 5 or 6 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭SeaMermaid

I can live without holidays abroad but this is what I miss the most. Eating out in the local on a weekend. It's was a relaxing activity and it helps to unwind after a long week.

Advertisement