Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Was in Mabel Lane last week for lunch too and it was very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

How was the service in Mabel Lane? I feel the food has gotten much better recently but the service has always been pretty poor. Most of the time you can get over it but the odd time it can genuinely ruin the meal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

It was fine. We waited a little while to order, but I'll give them a pass given it's Mothers' Day and there were two big matches on. The food service was actually remarkably quick - we were both surprised at how quickly our food came. The kids' meal had a small dessert included. That took a while to come, which wasn't ideal with a toddler getting annoyed and a baby wanting a nap!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭scrotist

Any good vegetarian options around? Ate a lot of meat the last week and need a cleanse.

Doesn't have to be an extremist vegetarian place. Some omnivore spot with good veg options is fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had a bowl of braised beef soup noodles in Noodlee, Western Road, yesterday. It was a really good bowl of food for €9.90. There's a couple of more interesting items on the menu on the counter, too, like chicken feet and pork feet that don't seem to be on online menus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

Did I see some negative feedback here on Haveli recently? Search function not returning anything. Haven't been in years and considering trying it this weekend. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

It’s overrated, in my opinion.

I get the impression it’s a spin on Indian food rather than authentic Indian food.

From my three visits, they charge sit down prices for takeaway, a low quantity of meat in the curries, boring rice, boring naan, sauces taste basic enough.

It’s popular, but doesn’t get a thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I reviewed it.

Was always a regular for both sit in and takeaway prior to covid. Since then, they've decided they only do takeaway. It has changed a lot since.

Meat amounts are poor, and poor quality. Very expensive. Charged me the full menu price for tikka sauce as they don't do a tofu option. So like €14ish for carton of sauce.

Very mean with pompadom, charge per half, and as per usual with Indian food here, extra for rice.

You wouldn't see much change from ,€100 for 3/4 mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

Looking for restaurant recommendations for places that have high tables with high stools/chairs. Alternatively a snug with a step up in to it. The reason is that my sister has mobility issues at the moment and can't stand up from a normal chair but could easily get down off a high stool/chair. Would really appreciate any input.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Mabel Lane had plenty of tall tables with tall seats from memory. Salt may have some, too. Goldbergs has some to be sure, you’d have to make a specific request. Elbow Lane has stools along the bar where we had a meal once, can’t recall the other tables. Rising Sons also stools at bar. That’s all off the top of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Barrys in douglas have a fair amount in the back section. Just had their bread and butter pudding which was very nice.

I'll have a think about some others

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Got delivery from Boxt https://www.boxtpizza.ie/ fine Pizza and priced nicely. Better half was disappointed that they don't have 30 Pizza options like Dominos, but she also puts pineapple on pizza. (just saying) Still she approves of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Been in the city a couple of times recently (unusual for me these days) and tried a couple of lunch options.

Liberty Grill: I hadn't been in years, but used to always really enjoy it. Pleased to say it was still as delicious as ever. Would definitely return!

Spitjack: I think I was there once, not long after it opened, and I was underwhelmed. The menu looked lovely this time though, so we tried it. I continue to be underwhelmed. The setting was nice, but the service was pretty non-existent and the food was bland and disappointing. I would not return, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Yep I think Liberty Grill is far superior. They have the best brunch in the city. Reasonable and the staff are lovely.

@Faith was there loud pop music blaring in Spitjack?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Spitjack has always been fairly average

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I actually recognised one person from when I used to go there a lot a good few years ago, so it's lovely to see staff retention. And the prices really were reasonable! I'd argue that 51 Cornmarket is truly the best brunch in the city, though.

@the beer revolu - I don't recall the music, so I'd say it wasn't intrusively loud at the time we were there (~1.30 on a Friday).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Went to the Anglers Rest today. Lovely venue but the food and service were really only ok, couldn’t say I’d recommend. Used to enjoy going out there but left feeling disappointed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

The Pie Guys - english market - we got the chicken and mushroom pies - and side salads - OMG the pie - the flavours - my mouth was watering with the aromas coming from the oven (we got them frozen to cook at home). unreal - if you have not tried I highly recommend.. we have had loads of them but this was the best so far - and the pastry is soo good..

Post edited by sporina on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Damn, I've been meaning to try those pies @sporina... can they be cooked from frozen in an air fryer, or do they need an oven? If oven, is there a time/temperature guideline? I don't want to burn them!

I live only 10 minutes walk from the English Market, I should really call down at lunch time and get those pies!

• Advertisement

no idea about air fryer - don't have one - oven - 180 deg/about 35 mins.. cooked other stuff while we wer at it #economical.. so divine - you gotta try - you can buy them ready to eat too - with sides from the english market and black market - soo good - and i'm fussy

Thank you! Can't wait to try them soon, 👊 for the recommend. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

The pies are really nice, specifically the butter chicken pie.

I’d recommend buying the pie on its own though; their “meal” is just the same pie with a few soggy potatoes and a tiny salad, not worth the extra cost.

I love that typo - The Guy Guys! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

Lea's at Gluksman over weekend for brunch - Highly recommend ! Lovely Spot !!!

Did you need to book, or are they accepting walk ins now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

I booked it few days beforehand - it was pretty busy sat around noon . ... not sure of the walk in policy TBH , id book to be on safe side

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

not a restaurant but OMG the queue for the O'Flynn's stall was past Mr. Bell's when I was in TEM at 1.30 yday avo.. and they didn't look like tourists - great to see a local biz thrive that that..

• Advertisement

Remember when we all lost our minds over the €9.50 sandwiches in Masseytown, a couple of years ago?

Well now they range from €10.50 to €15.40 with most being €12.65! That's quite a jump from a pretty high point, already. It's like they came in with €10 sandwiches which shocked everyone at the time but this soon became a pretty normal price for a decent sandwich around town. So now, they increase their prices considerably. It will be interesting to see if their customers follow along.

Advertisement