Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

• 15-02-2021 6:04pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

First thread has exceeded 10000 pists so is closed.
    This thread is for restaurant recommendations nothing else. Any personal insults will result in a thread ban, the last thread was descending into farce.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Carrigaline Court Valintines dinner was excellent, 2 mains, 2 desserts and a bottle of wine, well done Gerry Healy and team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭shawki

Genuine question, Has the cornstore improved/changed hands in recent years?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

shawki wrote: »

Not that I'm aware of, on either.

I think it's owned by the same crowd as Coqbull. They seem to have places in Limerick too.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40117295.html

You wouldn't hear much about Coqbull. I wasn't very impressed with it the couple of times I was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭shawki

Mardyke wrote: »
    Not that I'm aware of, on either.

I think it's owned by the same crowd as Coqbull. They seem to have places in Limerick too.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40117295.html

You wouldn't hear much about Coqbull. I wasn't very impressed with it the couple of times I was there.

Maybe it’s time to forgive and forget and give Cornstore another go. My last experience was not positive but people outside of boards keep recommending it to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I was there during the summer. Was just meh. Overpriced. Saying that I do like their cocktails.

I went for an interview for a waitressing job there when I was a student (this is about 10 years ago now...) and the owner/manager was horrible. Not going to get into specifics on a public forum but let’s just say staff were not treated very well. Didn’t take the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Haven't been to the cornstore in years but I found it decent when I did. Not really sure why I haven't been back. Just not my bag, really. Same as Market Lane is good but I never bother going.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

Cornstore has the best chicken wings in cork, worth going for that alone. The only place that matches their wings is elephant and castle.
    Was last in Cornstore in the summer and it was nicely spaced out and friendly staff so highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Well I just went in town for a few rolls from masseytown for me and the lads in the office. Absolutely phenomenal.

All rolls are €7.50 and they are a fine size with I'm happy to report full of meat. We halved up the rolls and all had a sample of each. Roast pork, roast ham and roast chicken. I thought the roast pork was the pick - crackling pork, mayo, red onion, peppers and chutney.

Well done to them, something really simple but different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Snap I was there myself as well. Wanted to try the wagyu beef roll but they didn't have anyway. Went with the ham roll instead, no complaints at all but it didn't change my life :)

opus wrote: »
    Snap I was there myself as well. Wanted to try the wagyu beef roll but they didn't have anyway. Went with the ham roll instead, no complaints at all but it didn't change my life :)

Oh I didnt see a beef, guess I'll have to go back tomorrow for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭sporina

rob316 wrote: »
    Well I just went in town for a few rolls from masseytown for me and the lads in the office. Absolutely phenomenal.

All rolls are €7.50 and they are a fine size with I'm happy to report full of meat. We halved up the rolls and all had a sample of each. Roast pork, roast ham and roast chicken. I thought the roast pork was the pick - crackling pork, mayo, red onion, peppers and chutney.

checked out their fb page - wow looks great.. and yes something different.. looks quality - thinking about it now, surprised it hasn't been done before.. Bracken's will be missed but I hope they do well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

How was the bread in Masseytown?

What puts me off O'Flynns sausages is the poor quality bread rolls. Sausages themselves are good.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    How was the bread in Masseytown?

What puts me off O'Flynns sausages is the poor quality bread rolls. Sausages themselves are good.

Very good its the proper rustic bread like you get in the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

rob316 wrote: »

Oh fab. Must give them a go. Was chatting to the owner the other day when I got a coffee from there. Nice guy!

The only time I had pork crackling was in Deep South, I didn't like it at all, hard as rock. Couldn't eat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Oh fab. Must give them a go. Was chatting to the owner the other day when I got a coffee from there. Nice guy!

Ah he's from Macroom and Macroom never reared a fool.
    Was wondering about the name Masseytown, see he's Tom and Marion Creedon's son. My brother knew Tom:
    https://www.echolive.ie/corklives/arid-40209731.html

Wish him well and will call when I've got my vaccine.

The only time I had pork crackling was in Deep South, I didn't like it at all, hard as rock. Couldn't eat it.

Done properly, it's puffed up and crispy/crunchy, not hard.
    But not done right, it's like eating credit cards.
    I love love love crackling!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone get the monkfish goujons from the leaping salmon?

What’s the food like in Soho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

fin12 wrote: »
    What’s the food like in Soho?

For me its fairly average.

• Advertisement

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    For me its fairly average.

Ya I’ve just spotted one or two cocktails I’d like to get so was wondering about the food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

Got lunch from Sonny's deli today. It was very tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Delighted to hear Sonny's reopened! Must get a reuben in the next few weeks. My lockdown lunches at home are being pimped at the moment by crisps. (Yes, it's come to this level of boredom). But, have discovered that wheelies are great in a ham sandwich, snax do good things for a cheese sandwich and skips work in a tuna wrap . :D A fancy sandwich from Sonny's would be the business.

We ordered the Cask at home box for the weekend. First order of takeaway anything since last autumn. Will report back.

Aww that's a shame, shouldn't be rock-like. They got it wrong there. Should be crunchy , salty porkness. Like the crispy bit on a rather.

If you retry someday... Look out for porchetta on a menu (when things open up!) for crackling on the outside. It's pork wrapped around herbs /stuffing , slow cooked then crisped up. It's not a healthfood, but very tasty. Actually, I think O'Mahoney butchers do them if you cook at home.

pwurple wrote: »
    Delighted to hear Sonny's reopened! Must get a reuben in the next few weeks. My lockdown lunches at home are being pimped at the moment by crisps. (Yes, it's come to this level of boredom). But, have discovered that wheelies are great in a ham sandwich, snax do good things for a cheese sandwich and skips work in a tuna wrap . :D A fancy sandwich from Sonny's would be the business.

I've always maintained that there is more to a crisp sandwich (without getting into a debate on what are or aren't crisps) than cheese & Onion Tayto in white sliced bread with butter.
    I tip my hat at your experimentation !

We ordered the Cask at home box for the weekend. First order of takeaway anything since last autumn. Will report back.

I got the smoked chicken roll. Must go back for the reuben!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

Where would people recommend for a good Pad Thai???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Got Paddy The Farmers last week - the featherblade beef was melt in your mouth.

Would highly recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Aww that's a shame, shouldn't be rock-like. They got it wrong there. Should be crunchy , salty porkness. Like the crispy bit on a rather.

If you retry someday... Look out for porchetta on a menu (when things open up!) for crackling on the outside. It's pork wrapped around herbs /stuffing , slow cooked then crisped up. It's not a healthfood, but very tasty. Actually, I think O'Mahoney butchers do them if you cook at home.

Spitjack do it on takeaway if you're looking for it!

• Advertisement

Drdenise75 wrote: »

Koto maybe.

I like the one from Ramen but I know a lot of people on here don’t rate that place. I’d only buy it when it’s the 8 before 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Drdenise75 wrote: »

Kubo in Douglas is really nice I've had it a few times, you can be waiting a while for delivery when it is busy, so I usually collect my order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Luap wrote: »
    Got Paddy The Farmers last week - the featherblade beef was melt in your mouth.

Would highly recommend.

Damn you... :P

I've been successfully avoiding ordering out all through this crisis, but checking the menu made my mouth water..

Click and Collect seems to be offline, will try by phone later.

As promised, back to report on Cask cook at home.

We really enjoyed it. We set up a video call with some friends, we all ordered the same thing and tried to cook it together. Tapas is more challenging to figure out than the other 2 or 3 course options that restaurants have alright. But that's by it's nature, tapas is making multiple dishes, 6 here. But that was still a bit of craic and a break from lockdown. The box was 40 euro for 2 people.

I've uploaded a photo of the box, as we got it, packed. And a photo of me figuring out what went with each dish by laying it all out on a carboard box! There was a coloured dot on each box to match up with the colour of their printed instructions.

All of it was delicious, and we were completely stuffed, I couldn't finish all of mine. The beef chimichanga and lamb kofkas were really meaty. The patatas bravas had loads of flavour with the garlic and tomato sauces, but not as spicy as I like personally. I just chucked extra hot sauce on those myself. Prawn stew wasn't overpowered by the chorizo and the rice was like a bonus paella. Monkfish croquettes were lovely and light, was a lime sauce with it.

The chocolate empanadas were gorgeous, although we had a to take a break for a while before we could even consider eating those! Coated in a cinnamon sugar, very crispy. Reminded me of churros... although inside out! Stuffed with melted chocolate on the inside. Yum. The mousse they came with wasn't needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Oh I didn’t know Cask were doing cook at home. I got (already cooked) takeaway from them last year. Really enjoyed it but even that was confusing enough :-)

Don’t know if I’d be able for all that malarkey. Nice idea though with the video call & everything.

Got the €20 meal deal from Ecos. Main course, dessert and a drink. Was quite tasty.

• Advertisement

I've attached a photo of the sandwiches from Sonny's for anyone who hasn't had them. Unfortunately you do have to book in advance at the moment, limited supply, sell out quite quickly.

Banh mi is the near one, that's roast pork, pickled carrot, cucumber, red chilli, coriander, spring onions, mayo, chicken liver pate.

Second one there is the Reuben. Cured beef, emmental, gherkins, dill, russian dressing.

There is a lot of eating in them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

I've attached a photo of the sandwiches from Sonny's for anyone who hasn't had them. Unfortunately you do have to book in advance at the moment, limited supply, sell out quite quickly.

Banh mi is the near one, that's roast pork, pickled carrot, cucumber, red chilli, coriander, spring onions, mayo, chicken liver pate.

Second one there is the Reuben. Cured beef, emmental, gherkins, dill, russian dressing.

Best sandwiches in the city by a mile. Both of those are sensational. and reasonably priced for what you get.

We got 2 Banh mi's last week without pre-ordering (went down around 11:30 though). Maybe we just got lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

You were lucky! I was there the weekend before last at 12:30 & by the time I got to the top of the queue not only were all the Reubens gone but all the sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Thanks for this pwurple, sorted us today for lunch. Really really really loved Sonny's! Down home in Cork for work this week and I loved trying some new places for lunch and dinner. The Sonny's Reuben is unreal! Best sandwich seller in the city(ish)?

My old reliable Cafe Izz didn't let me down either. The falafel manoosheh! I will be dreaming about it for weeks.

My work colleagues insisted on going to Masseytown twice and while it tastes pretty good it is a strange set up. Both days we went the owner I'm assuming was far too interested in chatting to his friends while a chaotic queue formed. Not sure I'd rush back. I noted in another thread people were talking about the lack of prices. My brass-knecked colleague asked yesterday for a pricelist and was told there wasn't any...!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

Friends family got severe covid, stuck at home with 2 small kids with no car
    Anyone can suggest takeaway or ready made meals deliveries that are not hard on the stomach and suitable for kids 1-3 y.o in Dublin West?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Friends family got severe covid, stuck at home with 2 small kids with no car
    Anyone can suggest takeaway or ready made meals deliveries that are not hard on the stomach and suitable for kids 1-3 y.o in Dublin West?

You might have better luck in the relevant Dublin forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭PreCocious

Footoo wrote: »
    Best sandwiches in the city by a mile. Both of those are sensational. and reasonably priced for what you get.

We got 2 Banh mi's last week without pre-ordering (went down around 11:30 though). Maybe we just got lucky.

That was a stroke of luck - the Banh Mi usually sell out very quickly (even back in the pre Covid days).

I ordered online the week before last and got the Banh Mi (and reubens for the others) - hadn't had one for quite a while but they were as good as ever - bursting with taste and far from stingy with the fillings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

PreCocious wrote: »
    That was a stroke of luck - the Banh Mi usually sell out very quickly (even back in the pre Covid days).

I ordered online the week before last and got the Banh Mi (and reubens for the others) - hadn't had one for quite a while but they were as good as ever - bursting with taste and far from stingy with the fillings.

See I didn't even know they had an online ordering system.... Game changer.

PreCocious wrote: »

not really a sambo person but defo gonna keep an eye on their menu - see if they have a salad I would like,. have been there a few times in the past but only for coffee/cake to take out.. had a slice of a snickers type biscuit cake once - OMG it was divine.. (I just adore choc/nut combo)

sporina wrote: »
    not really a sambo person but defo gonna keep an eye on their menu - see if they have a salad I would like,. have been there a few times in the past but only for coffee/cake to take out.. had a slice of a snickers type biscuit cake once - OMG it was divine.. (I just adore choc/nut combo)

There are also specials that change daily. The salad box looks good.

https://sonnysdelicork.clickandcollection.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Nice one. Do you know if you can change the order by leaving messages in the order page?

Would love to order the Reuben without cheese (I know, people will likely say that's not a Reuben..) but don't want to order if they don't/can't customise the sandwiches.

who_me wrote: »
    Nice one. Do you know if you can change the order by leaving messages in the order page?

Would love to order the Reuben without cheese (I know, people will likely say that's not a Reuben..) but don't want to order if they don't/can't customise the sandwiches.

I don't know, I haven't used the service yet. I would suggest contacting them first. They are on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

just to mention arthur maynes back open with a bigger menu.

just had the coronation chicken for lunch so good.

one of the best lunch places in town imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

unplayable wrote: »
    just to mention arthur maynes back open with a bigger menu.

just had the coronation chicken for lunch so good.

one of the best lunch places in town imo.

I always loved the tapas in there, just that it was so hard to get a table. God, I'm speaking in past tense about the place....it's just been so long!

thanks yes I saw that on the menu alright - the salad on offer for tomorrow/fri wouldn't be my cuppa.. will keep an eye on their website though as I know the menu changes regularly

• Advertisement
Advertisement