Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Iguarantee

I believe Bombay Palace is owned/run by the brother of the Delhi Palace/Raj owner.

Bombay Palace used to be the best Indian I’d had in the city, but now they just have a cauldron of red sauce and one of yellow sauce and no matter what you order it’s going to be one of those two things served to you. Their naan bread is decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Hi guys, sorry it's not Indian related but.. Looking to book Goldie for a special occasion but the only option left is "counter" seating, does anyone know what the counter is like? Better off going somewhere else? Thanks!

I was there once and it’s fairly cramped regardless of where you’re sitting.

You could book it as a placeholder and call in to them before the event which can help your decision to retain or cancel the booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Anastasia_

We were in Raj a few weeks ago and I thought it was seriously overpriced. The dish of the main is tiny, and I would say there was 6 or 7 pieces of sliced chicken in it max, then just filled up with sauce. It came to over €60 for two of us for just a main, rice and naan each. It was nice but I won't be going back. Service wasn't great either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

What I meant was that I would expect someone from India to pretty much think any Indian in Cork was rough.

Bar Iyers (RIP)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I know opinions can be mixed on this but just had a lovely meal at Cafe Mexicana. Prices reasonable, staff friendly and I still find it to be one of the coziest restaurants in the city (small, but cosy and warm)

And this Banana Baileys at €6 was divine!!! Worth going there even for coffee and a dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its under a new ownership a while and suppose to be excellent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Really. Has it changed much?

I know it's much loved and had been there since the 80s, but it was always pretty terrible, while inexpensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

paradiso - tasting menu recently . 10/10 - cant fault it !

Went to the new Ichigo Ichie last week. Sorry to say that neither I, nor my companions, enjoyed it at all. Didn't like the space, didn't like the ambiance, the service was brisk, cold and not very helpful. And, amazingly, the food left us underwhelmed. It all just seemed to lack flavour and was poorly explained on the menu and by the server. It was a huge disappointment.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Bring us some good news Beer, about anything! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

We went here last weekend and came away with very similar feelings, primarily disappointment. I'm a big fan of both the previous iteration and Miyazaki so was looking forward to this. Although we mostly enjoyed the food it was difficult to figure out what a lot of the dishes were without close questioning of the staff who seemed reluctant to volunteer any information! I began to feel I was interrogating them after a while so just stopped asking. It seems to be uncertain what it wants to be as a restaurant. The room, setting, dinner ware etc is not casual enough and some of the food is more complex than a noodle bar type place that I seem to recall he said it would be. But at the same time it didn't feel like a proper restaurant either. Maybe it was the new staff who seemed very uncertain of themselves and the food. It's perhaps unfair to judge a place so soon after opening so we'll go back again in a while. As I say, I found some of the dishes very good (namely the tempura and the hot noodles with duck) but it was let down by the whole experience of trying to extract information (and drinks) from the waiting staff. Also, the cold noodle dish just didn't work. Maybe we did it wrong (again no explanation was given about pouring the hot water over the noodles or mixing in the other sauce/ ingredients it came with) but it was just an odd dish. He did just get a Bib Gourmand so there must be something there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Is their menu more extensive than the one that they show online?

Been meaning to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Aw no thats really disappointing to hear, their michelin menu wasnt to my taste so I never went, but was looking forward to trying the new venture.

That sounds similar to our experience, in pretty much every aspect.

Maybe give it a few weeks to sort out their issues (assuming they know they have issues) and try it. It's not crazy expensive, by any means.

And, I've also heard good reports. Restaurants are very subjective.

Theres the basic menu and a changing board of specials.

I really think that Ichigo Ichie would be receptive to feedback and criticism.

I’ve already aired whatever issues I’ve had with the place at the cost of €150/head but for casual dining there shouldn’t really be any mystery as to what you’re eating or how to eat it.

If the staff don’t know something then the management aren’t doing their job thoroughly.

• Advertisement

I really think that Ichigo Ichie would be receptive to feedback and criticism.

You might think so but, before writing any negative reviews, I emailed them saying that I was a previous big fan but that we hadn't enjoyed the experience last week, at all. I was very clear that I wasn't looking for a free or discounted meal or refund of any sort. I offered to give detailed feedback as to why we didn't enjoy it (there were 4 of us and none of us enjoyed it).

I got a very poor reply which claimed that I was the only person who is not satisfied with the menu (I never said I was dissatisfied with the menu, I said that we didn't enjoy the experience), and that I should "feel free to give us your feedback if you wish". I didn't bother.

Perhaps it was naive of me to expect, "we would be very grateful for your feedback", as a reply.

I think the problem was that it was the front of house manager who replied when, to be honest, most of the problems, in my opinion, lie with the front of house management. I did think it was kinda funny that they assumed my problem was exclusively with the menu when it was mostly their own service and management was at fault!

And just to add, managing the front of house of a new restraunt is very difficult and I wouldn't do it in a million years, I'd be terrible at it. But, particularly in a new restaurant, you need to seek and embrace all feedback and digest it and try to put it all in perspective. Some feedback will be nonsense from cranks and some will be very valuable. But to assume everyone is satisfied just because no one had yet complained and to kinda dismiss a negative view is very worrying.

I guess time will tell if everything settles down and if it will be a success. I'd say that at the moment, they are constantly full and most people are wishing them well, so maybe that's where the slightly blind view comes from but I've heard as much bad about the place as I have good,yet the manager thinks everyone except me is happy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Are Khyber Grill and Spice Inn run by the same people?

I notice some identical wording on their online menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭sporina

Perry Street @ McD's Dripsey today - €15 for a small flat white, tea, scone and some brown bread...

flat white (small) = €4.10

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

My sister lives in Dripsey, so it's good to see that some business settled into the old garden centre, but... Ouch €€€

That response from Ichigo Ichi was shite!

I’d be hard pressed to bother going there.

any Perry Street cafe fans here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I actually go there if I’m in town on a Saturday really early as it opens at 8am. But it’s only for a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Agree.

Used to go to the Ringaskiddy one, the city once in a while, but value for money declined over the last while, in Ringaskiddy anyway. Way overpriced in most things and poor value for breakfast, particularly the mini one. They have an ideal spot there,but have out-priced locals imo.

• Advertisement

Ringaskiddy is my nearest Perry Street venue; I find the staff are generally nice but the management are consistently rude. It's like me being there is inconveniencing them. Also, on more than one occasion I've been served by a staff member, only to have the manager walk over and literally commandeer the order from them in a very awkward way to what I'd perceive as the staff members dismay.

It's so bloody expensive and their coffee is awful, mass produced, burnt muck (Drury Lane).

Advertisement