Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why has Limerick gone to the dogs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Just re reading this thread and I think I have been slightly harsh with the title. My experience of Limerick has been very similar to the responses in this thread (mixed). I have met some of the soundest people here but also some of the worst. My point was that I have never really been subject to this kind of abuse so regularly in another town before. This could just be that I am in a particularly rough part of town atm as suggested by a previous poster. Either way I will keeping my head down and working as per usual perhaps make a slight adjustment to my walking route. Some posters have suggested taking action but I don't think that is wise considering I have nothing really to gain from a fight and they have nothing to lose. I appreciate every ones feedback! Thanks for that guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,925 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The only area I know of in Limerick where people visiting should be very careful is the Ennis road.

There is a gang of 20 odd young lads going round with hurleys handing out some awful severe beatins over the last few years. I witnessed em give a crowd of fellas from Clare an unmerciful hiding round there a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Angela's Ashes was set there. Have you not seen that film

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Am I right in thinking that Limerick has a much higher proportion of settled travellers than other large urban areas in Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Am I completely wrong or is galway a lot safer feeling than any other Irish city? Dont know what it is but any street I ever ended up on after a night out wasn't dodgy feeling.

It's kinda plasticky though. Galway was a "city" deliberately created in the last century by government policies. The others occurred organically from fortified towns, then garrisons and all the warts that came with that evolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Am I right in thinking that Limerick has a much higher proportion of settled travellers than other large urban areas in Ireland?

I think Longford town might hold that much sought after crown?!

People in Limerick city and county are very friendly in my experience- several experiences of random people striking up conversations in cafes and shops when I’ve been there. Especially when they hear my non-Munster accent! Definitely the good overwhelmingly outweigh the rough element!

I remember being in Thornton’s chocolate shop in Cruises st (?) a few years back and a gang of our treasured ethnic minority looking for free samples!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's kinda plasticky though. Galway was a "city" deliberately created in the last century by government policies. The others occurred organically from fortified towns, then garrisons and all the warts that came with that evolution.

No it wasn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gamerguy1

Lived in all parts of Limerick and it's not the city thats the problem,its the mentality of some people in certain areas thats the problem. The city was bad in the 2000's I thought,the gangland stuff brought an air of crime superiority to certain areas that spread to most parts of the city. But as is in every city and town,its only a minority thats involved and the majority of people in the city are very nice people,even the people in the so called bad areas. I think if you have a problem with Limerick then you should move to different area. It is a city that was left behind but is now growing to be a 1 of the nicest places.

No it wasn’t

It's wikipedia page is interesting. It had a 42% population increase between 1971 to 81 and continues to grow during the recession on the 80s

Also it's history ends with battle of Aughrim 1861, the famine 1847 to the Celtic tiger with nothing in between. Did nothing of mother happen Galway for almost 150 years ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I must admit I never met a bad person from Limerick, I find them a treasure. Lovely people and great craic.

Some of the birds are divine.

• Advertisement

No it wasn’t

1985 dude. 1985. Also have a look at the population growth toward the later 20th century: pretty solid and consistent at about 20ish k then between 1966 and 1981 more than doubles to 46k. Continues growing in line with FF investment up the modern day. Might feel twee and Oirish but that in itself is deliberate and it's very much a modern manufactured entity.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I must admit I never met a bad person from Limerick, I find them a treasure. Lovely people and great craic.

Some of the birds are divine.

The swans and storks by the river are worth seeing alright

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    i like Limerick

very unpretentious folk

Galway could learn a lot from it

I lived in both cities for several years, and agree entirely with your assessment. Galway people have a tendency to talk a good game, however prone to flaking out when going gets tough. On the other hand Limerick folk are straightforward, no bullshít. You know exactly where you stand with them. It's no surprise then I made more friends with the latter. And Limerick gets a bad rap in the press, there's street hassle in every large town/city in Ireland. Fact of life, I don't let it wear me down.

1985 dude. 1985. Also have a look at the population growth toward the later 20th century: pretty solid and consistent at about 20ish k then between 1966 and 1981 more than doubles to 46k. Continues growing in line with FF investment up the modern day. Might feel twee and Oirish but that in itself is deliberate and it's very much a modern manufactured entity.

are you rewriting history?

Galway City is over 800 years old.

Augeo wrote: »

Galway "City" exists since the mid 1980s and got and continues to get a big helping hand in attaining that status. Sure there was a town there before but a city it was not. There's a lot to thank that tent for.

Augeo wrote: »

Charter awarded in 1484 but the council were only calling themselves the borough of Galway council until the 1980/90s and it's position as one of the economic centres of the country is a modern thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Zookey123 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with the people in this city? I have recently moved in for a job and the environment here is so hostile, and yet no guards to be seen anywhere. I have only been here for 6 months yet have been verbally assaulted more times than I have ever been before, and whats the worst part is these people aren't homeless, drunk or off their heads. Just random people you wouldn't be able to distinguish from the general population ready to fight over absolutely nothing. Honestly, can't wait to move out as soon as I find a better place to work.

In my personal experience, Munster people in general seem to have a bit of a chip on their shoulder.

I lived in Cork for 4 years, the amount of grumpy k***** was off the scale.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Born there, Clonmel is ten times worse

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

We do our own thing in Limerick. Always have, always will. We don't need no soft roaster coming in from Tipp telling us what's what or trying to dilute our bloodlines. Sling your hook sonny... Go way down to Cark, you'll fit in well with the needy locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Better stay away from Cork city too so.

Have to say as a Dub , Cork definitely has the most pleasant atmosphere of the 3 major irish cities. Cork just feels really safe in it's central parts much more so than most of Dublin city centre and definitely Limerick

• Advertisement

Born there, Clonmel is ten times worse

You hear a lot of mad stories from Tipp and rural Limerick towns. Usually involving some sort of historic beef between 2 sets of junior B hurlers and one place in particular Bulgaden Castle comes up a lot

wakka12 wrote: »
    Have to say as a Dub , Cork definitely has the most pleasant atmosphere of the 3 major irish cities. Cork just feels really safe in it's central parts much more so than most of Dublin city centre and definitely Limerick

Mad given that they always seem to make out they hate Dublin boy

Tip town used to be insane

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Mad given that they always seem to make out they hate Dublin boy

Even mean to D reg cars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,603 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

wakka12 wrote: »

That was in reference to the accent and self importance, or arrogance, not “personal safety”.

To be honest, I’ve never really ever felt unsafe, or in “danger”, anywhere down the country. The only times I wouldn’t have been comfortable would be when I’ve been Up North. Very unwelcoming.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Whats wrong with the people in this city? I have recently moved in for a job and the environment here is so hostile, and yet no guards to be seen anywhere.

Limerick is a small city with a big town attitude, she is hard on the outside, but from 20 odd years of frequenting her, she's got real heart. Sorry your not tasting that, for what ever reason. Don't fool yourself, the people(95%) are amazing.

AGS aside, best advice if your feeling too much curb attention whilst doing your time in Limerick is to cycle, not walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

You hear a lot of mad stories from Tipp and rural Limerick towns. Usually involving some sort of historic beef between 2 sets of junior B hurlers and one place in particular Bulgaden Castle comes up a lot

The attitudes of the people there really. Limerick, in fairness you will know where you stand, the people are direct in an honest way. Clonmel, devious and sneaky all pally to your face but straight off talking about you when your back is turned, this attitude runs through all sections of society there, deeply unfriendly place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Love these threads, the less people that realise Limerick is a hidden gem for employment and cost of living compared to the rest of the country, the better. Keep housing costs low until I buy.

Sure it's "rougher" than probably all other towns and cities but lots of it is loud mouthy bastards. Never had an ounce of trouble personally, apart from a bike being robbed years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 IsosKramer

Charter awarded in 1484 but the council were only calling themselves the borough of Galway council until the 1980/90s and it's position as one of the economic centres of the country is a modern thing

Limerick having a University is a "modern thing" , 1989 versus 1845 in Galway.
    Galway's RTC/IOTwas established in 1972. Limerick had such localised things as SOPS in a little building opposite Bobby Byrne's pub on O'Connell Avenue - having an RTC/IOT only being,well,a modern thing.
    Not sure why there's a compare and contrast going on with Galway but if we must....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I am a little further out that Garryowen. I haven't taken this issue further I just decide not to walk with my earphones in for the most part. It just sucks that no matter how nice and polite you try to be some people will still try and make a situation as hostile as possible. I don't understand why I guess a bully mentality carried on to adult hood and lack of consequences.

Maybe you’re in a rough spot? I never have hassle from anyone. I find Limerick quiet and friendly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement