Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why has Limerick gone to the dogs?

Options
  • 14-02-2021 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Whats wrong with the people in this city? I have recently moved in for a job and the environment here is so hostile, and yet no guards to be seen anywhere. I have only been here for 6 months yet have been verbally assaulted more times than I have ever been before, and whats the worst part is these people aren't homeless, drunk or off their heads. Just random people you wouldn't be able to distinguish from the general population ready to fight over absolutely nothing. Honestly, can't wait to move out as soon as I find a better place to work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

That’s not recent. I lived there in 2009 & it was the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Most major cities are the same. Limerick is no exception. But I'd still take living in Limerick over living in Dubland. Can't hack the inner city accents and the self importance...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Most major cities are the same. Limerick is no exception. But I'd still take living in Limerick over living in Dubland. Can't hack the inner city accents and the self importance...

Better stay away from Cork city too so.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Whereabouts in Limerick are you OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Lived in Cork City for a few years. Only problem I ever had was with the homeless or some druggie. They were always harmless though. These guys are actively looking for trouble. I would definitely consider them a liability for the general public. Some random guy (completely sober!) almost attacked me for not having cigarettes for him. This happened in the main street in broad daylight. How can that be ok?

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Whereabouts in Limerick are you OP?

Walking distance from Johns hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it's the accent that's all, the Limerick accent sounds aggressive/knackery even when they're being friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Zookey123 wrote: »

Garryowen/Johnsgate area or more towards the city?

I am sorry you have encountered problems in the area, noone moving to a new town to take up work and make a few quid deserves that.

Have you been in touch with any of the local councillors regarding the issue?
    There are a few whom are very active and effective that side of town.
    Also quite surprised you aren't seeing good Garda response, they are usually quite active around the area there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

if i stop on the street for 4 minutes anywhere near the city centre ,dublin
    someone under 30, walks up to me have and asks have you got a euro?
    maybe once a month someone asks me for a cigarette,
    buts its not rude,
    eg have you got a smoke.
    i have no problem with someone who has a real dublin accent.
    As apposed to a dart accent.
    i presume every city is the same,
    junkies and beggars hang around the city centre,
    thats where the services are .
    Theres a reason people with kids tend to a house in the suburbs

fryup wrote: »
    it's the accent that's all, the Limerick accent sounds aggressive/knackery even when they're being friendly

Not when someone literally chases you for not having cigarettes. I have also had food thrown at me for no reason and when I called them out got another earful. I have no issue with the accent or even the swearing its more the clear threat of physical violence that surprised me. Haven't had that since secondary school except now its grown adults acting like big bullies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

riclad wrote: »
    buts its not rude,
    eg have you got a smoke.

This is like Japanese poetry or something

riclad wrote: »
    buts its not rude,
    eg have you got a smoke.

Oh I am the same I have absolutely nothing against people asking for a cigarette. Its when you get abused for not having one or in my case get chased down the main street. Ill be the first to say I am not the toughest haven't ever been in a fight since school. I am definitely not going to fight some random dude on the street for no reason. What would either of us have to gain from that?

Whats wrong with the people in this city? I have recently moved in for a job and the environment here is so hostile, and yet no guards to be seen anywhere. I have only been here for 6 months yet have been verbally assaulted more times than I have ever been before, and whats the worst part is these people aren't homeless, drunk or off their heads. Just random people you wouldn't be able to distinguish from the general population ready to fight over absolutely nothing. Honestly, can't wait to move out as soon as I find a better place to work.

Great dog track in Limerick. Cost multi millions. Great night out if you can get a decent table upstairs. Anyway else in the stadium and the viewing is dire.

banie01 wrote: »
    Garryowen/Johnsgate area or more towards the city?

I am sorry you have encountered problems in the area, noone moving to a new town to take up work and make a few quid deserves that.

Have you been in touch with any of the local councillors regarding the issue?
    There are a few whom are very active and effective that side of town.
    Also quite surprised you aren't seeing good Garda response, they are usually quite active around the area there.

I am a little further out that Garryowen. I haven't taken this issue further I just decide not to walk with my earphones in for the most part. It just sucks that no matter how nice and polite you try to be some people will still try and make a situation as hostile as possible. I don't understand why I guess a bully mentality carried on to adult hood and lack of consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Limerick has always been a hole

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

i like Limerick

very unpretentious folk

Galway could learn a lot from it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

From my memory, Limerick had a bad reputation back in the 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,618 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Why put this in after hours. If you want some real answers why not it in the Limerick forum

How many issues have you had roughly ? These things are so rare but you seem to have had lots in 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Hard to get an unbiased opinion in a forum, that I’d imagine is full of Limerick people

gogo wrote: »
    Hard to get an unbiased opinion in a forum, that I’d imagine is full of Limerick people

Why ask a bunch of people who dont have much experience of Limerick
    "Why has Limerick gone to the dogs?"

If you want to just say Limerick is a s***hole just say it. If you want an answer to the question ask in the right place

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Where are you from? We know Dublin is a ****hole but unfortunately Munsters 3 cities are mostly rough as fcuk as well (and every medium sized town in Tipp).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If they pick on you again give it straight back to them and more, you sound like you are a bit of a soft touch, probably why they pick on you. If someone tried that crap with me I would stare them out of it and threaten them right back.

Where are you from? We know Dublin is a ****hole but unfortunately Munsters 3 cities are mostly rough as fcuk as well (and every medium sized town in Tipp).

Is there a town in Ireland that doesnt have a reputation.
    I find the 3 pub 1 one nightclub county towns much worse than the cities in Ireland

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Why ask a bunch of people who dont have much experience of Limerick
    "Why has Limerick gone to the dogs?"

If you want to just say Limerick is a s***hole just say it. If you want an answer to the question ask in the right place

So only people on the Limerick forum have experience of Limerick? It’s not North Carolina he’s taking about? Why post anything in After Hours at all, 90% of it would fit in under a particular forum.
    BTW, he pretty much did say it’s a ****hole....

So only people on the Limerick forum have experience of Limerick? It’s not North Carolina he’s taking about? Why post anything in After Hours at all, 90% of it would fit in under a particular forum.
    BTW, he pretty much did say it’s a ****hole....

Usually people post in after hours for a good pile on where people can get away with saying things you wont in other forums

Generally I think after hours is a den of cowards

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Usually people post in after hours for a good pile on where people can get away with saying things you wont in other forums

Generally I think after hours is a den of cowards

Your time might be better served, trying not to get so triggered over random posts on the internet...

You also seem to spend a lot of time hanging around this den of cowards, your from Limerick clearly, why not state some advice for the OP, or maybe offer some insights as to a better area he could go to?

That’s what I’d do OP btw, anywhere else you could move to within Limerick, a little farther out of the city?!

Your time might be better served, trying not to get so triggered over random posts on the internet...

You also seem to spend a lot of time hanging around this den of cowards, your from Limerick clearly, why not state some advice for the OP, or maybe offer some insights as to a better area he could go to?

That’s what I’d do OP btw, anywhere else you could move to within Limerick, a little farther out of the city?!

I wouldnt worry about getting "triggered" I come on here when Im board its not something I carry round with me (triggered is one of those daft words has suddenly been carried over from US politics sadly and not something I would ever describe myself as)

I honestly couldnt give advice about where to live as I do not know exactly where he lives and I have not experienced the things he has despite living in "rough" parts of town. The Limerick forum will Im sure have advice

pgj2015 wrote: »
    If they pick on you again give it straight back to them and more, you sound like you are a bit of a soft touch, probably why they pick on you. If someone tried that crap with me I would stare them out of it and threaten them right back.

I am happy to do that on a verbal basis but I wont be fighting random strangers on the street if thats what you're suggesting. I have nothing to gain and everything to lose so why would I do that. Also It's not the same person "picking on me". I wouldn't call myself a soft touch but I would do anything I can to avoid a fight. I wont be losing my career over some rando on the street.
    Anyways I posted on here to speak with other people who might have had a similar experience and seek some advice. I wasn't having a go at the natives of Limerick (sorry if offended). I am originally from a small town in Tip and not used to strangers chasing me down the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Northernlily

pgj2015 wrote: »

Not really a practical approach is it when up against mouthpieces and thugs. Better off to ignore. I've a hothead myself and would go through these bollixes but what's the point. I've a lot more to loose than they do if something goes wrong. Instead I just pity their insignificance and if they feel the anger to abuse a stranger, even more so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

No offence to people from that area, there's many fine, decent hardworking people living around the area but it's not exactly the best place for normal people to scumbag ratio. I've settled in Limerick from Galway and love it. Move out of that area into somewhere a bit more settled and your experiences will change positively. I'd suggest down towards Joseph's St if wanting to stay in town, Ballinacurra or South Circular if you don't mind a 20 min walk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement