Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the greatest waste of money you've seen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Is there a limit as to what you can do in a graveyard or is it a free for all where anyone can build monstrosities like this

Many have no rule, but you would expect discretion should be used. You an go around the one where my parents are buried and it's mostly all simple slabs with some celtic crosses.

Then you look at the celtic crosses and it's a dick measuring contest between some of the 'better' families in the area.

Cousin lost a young child to cancer, graveyard has strict limits on size of headstones. All looks good. Worked well until someone else built a mausoleum like the one above a few years back. Now it's a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Buying coffee/ tea and lunch every day at work instead of taking your lunch with you 3-4 days a week. Cigarettes as well. Both are within your personal scope to not waste money on

Youd want to be 1 miserable cnut to begrudge yourself the 2.50 or 3 euro a day for a cup of tea/coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

That's pretty cool.

Pity who's in it won't see it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Spending the Torres money on Andy Carroll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

The horses are in surprisingly good condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭sxt

Those €54m e-voting machines, that were never used, and were kept in storage for another five years at a cost of 3.2 million, and subsequently scrapped for peanuts

?width=600&version=4663577

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭bigroad

Overseas aid.

The horses are in surprisingly good condition.

Its ironic they spend 10s of thousands on muck like that and tie real horses onto signposts to pick a few blades of dirty grass on the side of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Youd want to be 1 miserable cnut to begrudge yourself the 2.50 or 3 euro a day for a cup of tea/coffee

3 euro per working day is equivalent to 700 euro on an average 46/47 week working year. It usuall dose not stop at that. Some may buy 2-3 and more per day. Buying a lunch every working day assuming it costs 3/ day more than bringing your own costs 700/year as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

sxt wrote: »
    Those €54m e-voting machines, that were never used, and were kept in storage for another five years at a cost of 3.2 million, and subsequently scrapped for peanuts

?width=600&version=4663577

Not entirely true, they were used twice in a number of constituencies when they trialled them. I voted using them. Still a complete waste of money though.

• Advertisement

Its ironic they spend 10s of thousands on muck like that and tie real horses onto signposts to pick a few blades of dirty grass on the side of the road

It's a sad sign when you don't even have to mention who you're talking about, but everyone knows. :rolleyes:

They love their tacky sh/te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The Maginot Line

3 euro per working day is equivalent to 700 euro on an average 46/47 week working year. It usuall dose not stop at that. Some may buy 2-3 and more per day. Buying a lunch every working day assuming it costs 3/ day more than bringing your own costs 700/year as well.

Worth it imo

money put into rugby/tv rights for rugby

How this is considered more elite than gaa is beyond me

Ryan Tubridy

Ryan Tubridy

Ray Darcy was a bigger waster of money.

Slava Ukrainii

Both of your examples seem alright to me, in the grand scheme.. although I do agree with your general sentiment about weddings.

Certainly we all have different tastes and many people would find those kinds of things nice. Weddings can be an absolute money sink. I think it's because you aren't actually immediately spending the full amount of each thing. It's deposits of €100 here and €50 there. Before you know it's 50k gone and you're left scratching your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Clifden and Inishboffin 'airports' - ~10m spent and they've never officially had a flight.

Built ~2008 with the intent of giving Inishboffin an air service like the Aran Islands have. Never happened. Runways are still being maintained even though the airports have never opened

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30895268.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I saw this shared on Facebook recently.
    120996461_203428564545412_8231014389689300473_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=VuS4cJLfBHAAX8-Q9zp&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=8ac56b85ff10d14c92f5347e3961375d&oe=604F2522

What is the greatest waste of money you've seen?

"King Tut" McDonagh's tomb?

“A golden goodbye: Slain crime boss Andy Connors buried in gold casket with jewelry worth up to €100,000”

“Pals of murdered gangster ‘Fat’ Andy Connors are keeping a 24 hour guard over his €100,000 grave.

The 45-year-old was buried in a gold plated casket yesterday wearing a e40,000 Rolex and jewelry worth a mint.”

• Advertisement

Certainly we all have different tastes and many people would find those kinds of things nice. Weddings can be an absolute money sink. I think it's because you aren't actually immediately spending the full amount of each thing. It's deposits of €100 here and €50 there. Before you know it's 50k gone and you're left scratching your head.

It is all about learning to budget. You have to decide what you want and what you include or exclude.

Slava Ukrainii

I photographed weddings for years. Even the low-budget ones were full of stuff like that. Almost every wedding couple I met were fully in the mindset of "sure we can spend X amount, because we have Y amount of guests, and therefore will get Z in cash gifts".

Chocolate fountains, ice cream vans, multiple photo backdrops (like your flower wall example), enormous initial letters, or the word LOVE, all this kinda stuff that was costing an arm and a leg, and then invariably the couple wouldn't "make" as much money off the guests, so they'd be under pressure and in enormous debt.

More than a handful of the weddings I shot, the couples were separated within 2 years.

Best wedding I ever shot, and if i was getting married myself, the one I'd most like to replicate, was a civil ceremony. Bride, groom and four guests, in the door for the ceremony at 11am, and they had their flight booked to Spain for 3pm. Quick "I do", few photos and out the door to the airport to enjoy themselves.

“A golden goodbye: Slain crime boss Andy Connors buried in gold casket with jewelry worth up to €100,000”

“Pals of murdered gangster ‘Fat’ Andy Connors are keeping a 24 hour guard over his €100,000 grave.

The 45-year-old was buried in a gold plated casket yesterday wearing a e40,000 Rolex and jewelry worth a mint.”

I must get my pick and shovel.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Anything housing related in this country.

Part V agreements where a council buys a 380K home in a private estate when they could have the developer build 2- 3 homes on council owned land for the price.

DCC buying apartments for up to 700K per unit.

The great council house sell off. We have a situation now where some lad bought his house for 8 grand off the council in the 90's, he becomes a landlord and the council now pays him up to 20K per year in rental subsidies to house a family in the property. A house that they built and then sold for pennys.

Councils handing out properties to ungrateful migrants in places like Blanch.

The eye watering costs of places like Oberstown detention centre.

The Ballymun flats should never have been tossed. While it was never the prettiest place on our fair isle the re built Ballymun is an architectural abomination.

I must get my pick and shovel.

His victims probably got there before you. Or more likely his family and ‘pals’.

Back in the mad days I knew a guy who got a credit card for 50k, used it to buy a BMW and then totalled it while drunk driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭fits

Back in the mad days I knew a guy who got a credit card for 50k, used it to buy a BMW and then totalled it while drunk driving.

Impressive tigering

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Juan Sebastian Veron and Mr. Shkodran Mustafi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Irish Water.
    New Children's Hospital.

Irish Water is a good idea. Govt shouldn't have caved in. It became a waste of money because it was shelved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭KaneToad

money put into rugby/tv rights for rugby

How this is considered more elite than gaa is beyond me

Better athletes. Professional sport. International competitions.

Advertisement