Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the greatest waste of money you've seen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Skipped the last 10 pages, but has the Mahon Tribunal come up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

You get what you pay for. The very top jobs in the public service, Taoiseach and Ministers are paid a tiny percentage of what the top brass in private business get. So even if that talent would do the job better, why would they want to take a 90% cut in salary? And risk losing the job as soon as there is an election.

So those positions are filled by individuals who are of CEO capability and would be in such salaried positions if not where they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Bertie Ahern

• Registered Users Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Andrea B. wrote: »
    So those positions are filled by individuals who are of CEO capability and would be in such salaried positions if not where they are?

I wouldn't take Micheal Martin's job for the money he's on.

Andrea B. wrote: »

Couldnt we say that about any position that high? They all had to obtain degrees, gain promotions and experience.

In the civil service however you cant just jump ship or start again if you **** up though (but are less likely to be fired too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,428 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I wouldn't take Micheal Martin's job for the money he's on.

Nor would a lot of people.
    However I think the tittle and going down in history is an attraction to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,089 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They worked and they paid into their pensions.

You will get a public pension as well

The certainty worked and payed in.. the reward is certainly far in excess from the public contribution of what is proper and necessary though.

Strumms wrote: »
    The certainty worked and payed in.. the reward is certainly far in excess from the public contribution of what is proper and necessary though.

In your opinion.

I will pay prsi all my life bit never avail of any social welfare including the state pension. Factor that into your maths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Gambling imo is a big waste of money. People will tell you about all their big wins but to forget to mention how many times/how much they’ve lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They had a contractual commitment from their employer for a specific pension arrangement, which was part of their overall conditions of employment.

Employers don't get to walk away from contractual commitments.
    In your opinion.

I will pay prsi all my life bit never avail of any social welfare including the state pension. Factor that into your maths

Just curious - why would you not e getting the state pension?

• Advertisement

They had a contractual commitment from their employer for a specific pension arrangement, which was part of their overall conditions of employment.

Employers don't get to walk away from contractual commitments.

Just curious - why would you not e getting the state pension?

It's built into my work pension. The experts like to ignore that little nugget when ranting about it.

Gardai and prison staff pre95 don't qualify for the state pension at all. That's 10k per year they are down compared to the private pension brigade. They also went entitled to any social welfare payments if sick or dismissed.

1995 to 2004 and 2004 to 2015 it's included in the pension and if we work after retirement, there's a deducted amount from the pension payments. So the huge pension Gardai get actually includes 10k that the private pensions don't but get separately.

It's different again for new entrants but I'm not sure how the state pension ties in to theirs. I think it's also included but I'm not sure.

It's built into my work pension. The experts like to ignore that little nugget when ranting about it.

Gardai and prison staff pre95 don't qualify for the state pension at all. That's 10k per year they are down compared to the private pension brigade. They also went entitled to any social welfare payments if sick or dismissed.

1995 to 2004 and 2004 to 2015 it's included in the pension and if we work after retirement, there's a deducted amount from the pension payments. So the huge pension Gardai get actually includes 10k that the private pensions don't but get separately.

It's different again for new entrants but I'm not sure how the state pension ties in to theirs. I think it's also included but I'm not sure.
    Got it, pre-95 indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Fashion. In general.

In your opinion.

Boards.ie so yeah, my opinion ;). Factor that into your reality !

How do you know you will not avail of any social welfare ? Can you say that with absolute certainty ?

If you find yourself out of a job for any reason ? Compulsory redundancy, ill health... of course if you are in a position to not be in receipt of that assistance.. you make that choice ... when I was out of work due to ill health I had no problem being in receipt of assistance as having paid in from my first part time job at 17 to my mid 30’s I either never requested, required or qualified for a social welfare payment.. when I did, it was there, and having paid circa 280,000 in taxes on my salaries over a number of years... it’s an entitlement... I wouldn’t have been in receipt had it not been... :confused:;)

Boards.ie so yeah, my opinion ;). Factor that into your reality !

How do you know you will not avail of any social welfare ? Can you say that with absolute certainty ?

If you find yourself out of a job for any reason ? Compulsory redundancy, ill health... of course if you are in a position to not be in receipt of that assistance.. you make that choice ... when I was out of work due to ill health I had no problem being in receipt of assistance as having paid in from my first part time job at 17 to my mid 30’s I either never requested, required or qualified for a social welfare payment.. when I did, it was there, and having paid circa 280,000 in taxes on my salaries over a number of years... it’s an entitlement... I wouldn’t have been in receipt had it not been... :confused:;)

I wont because I have job security and private health insurance not too mention being covered by another nations health system which is better than the Irish one. You know all this though as we have discussed it before.

You willfully continue to ignore that the state pension which you will obtain in addition to your private pension, is included in mine? Again, you are the one bringing up state funds, not I but a nice try and switching the coversation around.

Did you perhaps also miss the part where Gardai that are retiring now, DO NOT QUALIFY FOR SOCIAL WELFARE? You dongt know the subject enought o talk about it so feel free to continue ranting about a topic that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, my comments or anything I said or thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The million or so quid that was blown on attempting to turn a talentless fantasist from Dundalk into a pop superstar in the early 00s. It's all documented here.

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Having my vasectomy

Dad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

L1011 wrote: »
    The were bought by a reputable metals and electronics recycler, along with the tables they stood on.

Deliberately sold for recycling only. It was a condition of sale that they had to be broken down - Gov didn't want any of them appearing anywhere - various pubs, museums and collectors were obviously interested in owning one, but they had to be destroyed so that there was no permanent reminder of the folly.

I wont because I have job security and private health insurance not too mention being covered by another nations health system which is better than the Irish one. You know all this though as we have discussed it before.

You willfully continue to ignore that the state pension which you will obtain in addition to your private pension, is included in mine? Again, you are the one bringing up state funds, not I but a nice try and switching the coversation around.

Did you perhaps also miss the part where Gardai that are retiring now, DO NOT QUALIFY FOR SOCIAL WELFARE? You dongt know the subject enought o talk about it so feel free to continue ranting about a topic that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, my comments or anything I said or thought.

Great, so that’s your choice... if you wish to pass up your entitlement... this being a democracy.. that’s up to you...

Not ranting my friend, although that ‘ranting’ seems to be your stance as regards anyone who has an alternative view or opinion to your own... quite tiresome but hey. :)

I don’t know enough about the subject to talk about it ? Well, you don’t get to decide as to who knows ‘enough’ or otherwise and who indeed may or may not talk or enter into discourse about any subject here... so I’ll take that and the rest of what you have to say with a massive pinch of salt, as usual, thanks all the same. :)

Great, so that’s your choice... if you wish to pass up your entitlement... this being a democracy.. that’s up to you...

Not ranting my friend, although that ‘ranting’ seems to be your stance as regards anyone who has an alternative view or opinion to your own... quite tiresome but hey. :)

I don’t know enough about the subject to talk about it ? Well, you don’t get to decide as to who knows ‘enough’ or otherwise and who indeed may or may not talk or enter into discourse about any subject here... so I’ll take that and the rest of what you have to say with a massive pinch of salt, as usual, thanks all the same. :)

blah blah blah. You speak about the subject but are ignorant of the details. When they are pointed out, you go on a tangent about claiming welfare despite being nothing to do with your original point. Perhaps to bypass the fact that pre 95 Gardai could not claim welfare or a state pension.

Ironic that you complain however about public sector pensions yet my taxes paid your welfare dont you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

It’s not the greatest waste of money ever, but I’m always perplexed with Irish people who get a new car using that dreadful pcp model. It’s always to but some low-spec diesel saloon as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

It’s not the greatest waste of money ever, but I’m always perplexed with Irish people who get a new car using that dreadful pcp model. It’s always to but some low-spec diesel saloon as well.

Car-snobbery is incredibly dull and puts me in mind of Alan Partridge criticising his ex-wife's new partner's Renault Megane (a mere 90 BHP). Most people are quite happy to drive 'low-spec diesel saloons' (or even, God forbid, hatchbacks... urgh) because they do what a car is supposed to do, inexpensively and reliably. Which is often more than can be said for the average German executive car (now there's a waste of money). And being new, they offer the security of a warranty. Yes, it might be more prudent to buy second-hand, but some people like new things.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Any new car is a waste of money. You might as well burn 5 to 10k in cash in a rusty barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

derfderf wrote: »
    Skipped the last 10 pages, but has the Mahon Tribunal come up yet?

The Mahon Tribunal was very, very expensive, but it wasn't a waste of money. It opened the eyes of the general public to the shady business that our politicians were getting up to; I don't think that we will ever have another politician running for Taoiseach who doesn't see a problem with accepting brown envelopes full of cash from businessmen. It's hard to quantify what this is worth, but it's worth an awful lot.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Any new car is a waste of money. You might as well burn 5 to 10k in cash in a rusty barrel.

True but then there wouldnt be any good 3 - 4 year old ones for me to buy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

That's the point it's not an entitlement. Post 95 public sector pay A rate PRSI, like private sector and if they lose their jobs can claim social welfare. Pre 95 pay D rate PRSI, and it means they are not entitled to claim social welfare or state pension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭decreds

paw patrol wrote: »
    NGOs

x1000

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

El Tarangu wrote: »
    The Mahon Tribunal was very, very expensive, but it wasn't a waste of money. It opened the eyes of the general public to the shady business that our politicians were getting up to; I don't think that we will ever have another politician running for Taoiseach who doesn't see a problem with accepting brown envelopes full of cash from businessmen. It's hard to quantify what this is worth, but it's worth an awful lot.

If only the politicians had been treated like other law breakers and been subjected to investigation by AGS instead of that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

The Children's Hospital, the extreme incompetence and no doubt embezzling of... and the White Water Rafting thing...

• Advertisement

BeerWolf wrote: »
    The Children's Hospital, the extreme incompetence and no doubt embezzling of... and the White Water Rafting thing...

Who embezzled who?

Advertisement