Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v France 2021 6n

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

TheCitizen wrote: »
    If you’re suggesting we have no better options than Burns at out half then we may as well pack it in. If Byrne started yesterday we would have been ahead towards the end instead of chasing the game. Carty and Harry Byrne are others to consider. Burns is not an option. Hopeless management to select him after what he did when he came on v Wales.

The only better option we have is Sexton and he wasn't available.

The other options are all deeply flawed (as many of us have been saying to those braying for Sexton's ousting).

Harry Byrne has started 9 games of professional rugby. I want him in the squad at least against Italy but let's not pretend he is anything close to a sure thing to make things better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

crossman47 wrote: »
    Just one thought on reflection. The criticism of Joe towards the end was of a limited game plan. We had such great players they should be given more scope. How stupid that looks now. If he were in charge yesterday we would have won. It might have been boring but who would care.

We are always set on blaming the coach. How many have we let go too early? Certainly Gatland and maybe O'Sullivan. Also Kidney gets referenced usually as a failure when he brought us to our grand slam and had a magnificent record with Munster. The calls for Cullen to get the job are misplaced unless he were to bring Lancaster with him.

We'll never know how it could have gone. But things have been on a slide for a while. And teams like NZ and Japan cut us apart with running rugby and offloading, so it's hard to say that France couldn't have done similar.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

awec wrote: »
    Byrne offers even less through open play, it's his biggest weakness.

Came off the bench yesterday and did ok, landed an excellent kick at goal. But doesn't attack the line whatsoever and just shovels the ball on outside him when he gets it.

Sometimes that is enough
    https://twitter.com/Toolan82/status/1361212427828830208?s=20

I think we all know Burns and RByrne are not good enough either way.

In general Ireland are really suffering from not playing whats in front of them.

For all the talk of "heads up rugby" Irelands play is very prescribed and poorly executed.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Podge_irl wrote: »

The other options are all deeply flawed (as many of us have been saying to those braying for Sexton's ousting).

Harry Byrne has started 9 games of professional rugby. I want him in the squad at least against Italy but let's not pretend he is anything close to a sure thing to make things better.

Harry Byrne is fast becoming a player who gets better and better every game he doesn't play. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I think and have said we have ability and talent in certain areas. We won’t make the most of it with this current head coach though.
    I'm just talking about your contention that France 'didn't turn up'. I thought they played well and the difference from their previous game was that they coughed up vital lineout ball, didn't get great returns from the scrum and we kept Dupont contained for large portions of the game. They still made plenty of linebreaks, but again, we scrambled well and closed them down. There was a lot of rugby played in the middle of the pitch as a result and they were forced to kick a lot. Their defence was excellent and they scrambled when we did get the odd break. Fickou's last ditch effort to put Lowe's feet into touch being a prime example of how good they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Podge_irl wrote: »

This is nonsense. Maybe the alternatives when Sexton isn’t available aren’t great but Burns is not an option. He should never play for Ireland again. What should happen now is Carty and Ross Byrne and Harry Byrne should be given opportunities to play at out half for the rest of the tournament. Sexton can’t go on forever, he needs to be replaced. We’re out of the tournament, try the other viable options. That rules out Burns. This coach though, he probably won’t do that. We need rid of him.

This is nonsense. Maybe the alternatives when Sexton isn’t available aren’t great but Burns is not an option. He should never play for Ireland again. What should happen now is Carty and Ross Byrne and Harry Byrne should be given opportunities to play at out half for the rest of the tournament. Sexton can’t go on forever, he needs to be replaced. We’re out of the tournament, try the other viable options. That rules out Burns. This coach though, he probably won’t do that. We need rid of him.

Did you watch Ross Byrne against England in the Autumn?

Harry Byrne is fast becoming a player who gets better and better every game he doesn't play. ;)

He was excellent against Scarlets, played flat - kicked well and pulled the strings seamlessly.

The problem is that's only half the story. Scarlets were terrible and completely second best in contact - remarkably so in fact.

He did everything expected but with loads of time and space on the ball.

The Northampton game was a messy confrontational affair and they put Leinster under plenty of pressure throughout. Would have painted a far clearer picture of his progression and I suspect the commentary at this point would be a bit more qualified.

He was excellent against Scarlets, played flat - kicked well and pulled the strings seamlessly.

The problem is that's only half the story. Scarlets were terrible and completely second best in contact - remarkably so in fact.

He did everything expected but with loads of time and space on the ball.

The Northampton game was a messy confrontational affair and they put Leinster under plenty of pressure throughout. Would have painted a far clearer picture of his progression and I suspect the commentary at this point would be a bit more qualified.

It is harder to make a judgement on Leinster 10s because they get a free ride almost every game thanks to forward dominance.

I think Harry Byrne will get a shot sooner rather than later, but a lot of it will be down to the relative averageness of the other options rather than what he's been doing in the Pro14.

No, that's nonsense :pac: :rolleyes:

The last few minutes of the match are exactly what you are going to regularly get with Ross Byrne at 10. Plenty of possession with the team going backwards. To be fair to him, if he was able to use his kicking from hand he would have had more in his arsenal, but he will never be able to play the free-flowing attack game so many seem to want. I don't know what exactly Burns did to you, but while he's utterly mediocre he is no worse than Byrne, simply has different areas of strength and weakness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Lol.

Jack Carty the same. Another few months of injury and Joey Carbery will be the Lions test 10.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Paddy Jackson is playing well in the UK. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Even if he was playing well enough to be considered he’s not an option for the future is he? We should be looking to replace Sexton now that the tournament is over. Use the last 3 games to bring in and give experience to players in lots of positions.

Meh. We've got plenty of out halves performing well in the league. Even aside from all the other stuff, we don't know if he'd be any better at test level than the guys we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Lol.

Jack Carty the same. Another few months of injury and Joey Carbery will be the Lions test 10.

To be fair Jack Carty played well a couple of times for Connacht in the inter pros which is about all he could have done.

People criticised Connacht’s half backs for that 2nd half performance against Ulster but I’m not sure many people realise what the conditions were like for those 40 minutes.

You’d swear from reading comments here that Carty is the most inconsistent man, and struggles to even accurately brush his teeth every day of the week, but as a non-Connacht fan who has watched a fair amount of them this season I’m not seeing where that’s coming from at all (influenced by goalkicking maybe?). I think he’s a better option than Burns and Byrne for sure and as I said before I think we’re mad not to have him and Blade on the bench, I think the 21/22 jerseys would suit them perfectly.

Meh. We've got plenty of out halves performing well in the league. Even aside from all the other stuff, we don't know if he'd be any better at test level than the guys we have.

The last time he played for Ireland he was better than everyone currently available (including Sexton now). But I haven't seen him in years and its a complete non-runner anyway. I would be amazed if he wasn't a better option still though.

Ah we do.

Jackson was the guy until that thing happened. We won in SA with 14 men with him putting in a great performance at 10.

If that thing hadn't happened we wouldn't be in such a panic right now.

Farrell might find it hard to drop the only Englishman in the team :pac:

Ah we do.

Jackson was the guy until that thing happened. We won in SA with 14 men with him putting in a great performance at 10.

I think it was very much unproven. He was the guy only after Madigan moved and his performance in SA was pretty mixed. Plus it's nearly five years ago now, maybe he'd have kicked on or maybe he'd have gone the way of Madigan, maybe neither.

I think he'd be a better option than Byrne or Burns but not to the point where Sexton wouldn't still be starting.

I think it was very much unproven. He was the guy only after Madigan moved and his performance in SA was pretty mixed. Plus it's nearly five years ago now, maybe he'd have kicked on or maybe he'd have gone the way of Madigan, maybe neither.

I think he'd be a better option than Byrne or Burns but not to the point where Sexton wouldn't still be starting.

Probably, but it's a high bar to hold them up against Sexton. It's not likely we'll produce another Sexton for a while.

But Jackson was IMHO going to become a reliable, solid and effective test 10. He had all the attributes for it. This is not true for either Burns or Byrne.

• Advertisement

Ah I think Jackson would be starting ahead of Sexton at this point, though he wouldn't have until after the World Cup. But he is miles ahead of anything else we have had in the position since Sexton came on the scene.

I think your underselling Jackson here a bit. He was starting to really pull the strings at Ulster and he was excellent at times in South Africa albeit I acknowledge far from faultless.

I think with more first team minutes in green his Ulster form would have more fully translated over and I suspect a year under McFarland would have been transformative.

If available I have no doubt he'd have started at the weekend - absolutely none. I also think that by the time Madigan departed Jackson had reached a level of consistency beyond Madigan with room to push on with some better coaching.

realistically Ireland are now challenging for 4th or 5th place this year.

there was 500k difference in prize money last year there for 6N payouts.

so should really see some investment in the future selection-wise for the Italy game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Ah we do.

Honestly. It's all fine and good to talk about eho you wish to talk about. The person you mention is history. We are talking about the future of Irish rugby here and not your NI twist on things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Scratchly

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    Honestly. It's all fine and good to talk about eho you wish to talk about. The person you mention is history. We are talking about the future of Irish rugby here and not your NI twist on things.

You should know better than to disagree with a mod. That's a card! Stick to being an asshole to everyone and you'll get along just fine with the regulars and the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Whats going on here?

https://twitter.com/bernardjackman/status/1361285356591661065?s=20

Any theories as to why Ireland are been exposed with props covering across on the open side?
    See France Oct, last week and again at wkend.

I think your underselling Jackson here a bit. He was starting to really pull the strings at Ulster and he was excellent at times in South Africa albeit I acknowledge far from faultless.

I think with more first team minutes in green his Ulster form would have more fully translated over and I suspect a year under McFarland would have been transformative.

If available I have no doubt he'd have started at the weekend - absolutely none. I also think that by the time Madigan departed Jackson had reached a level of consistency beyond Madigan with room to push on with some better coaching.

Well, that's all possible, but he had a long way to go even at the time of his departure. So, he might have developed into the test level out half we needed, or he might not have - I don't think it was a sure thing either way. Look at how Ross Byrne has stalled over the same period.

But my main point was that performing in the Premiership is no indication of anything.

Well, that's all possible, but he had a long way to go even at the time of his departure. So, he might have developed into the test level out half we needed, or he might not have - I don't think it was a sure thing either way. Look at how Ross Byrne has stalled over the same period.

But my main point was that performing in the Premiership is no indication of anything.

Totally agree about performing in the Premiership - doesn't tell you much more than performing in the pro14.

That said I think Ross Byrne has physical and athletic limitations that Jackson does not. Paddy Jackson would be more a George Ford than a Jonny Sexton - but I'd happily take a George Ford right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Whats going on here?

Any theories as to why Ireland are been exposed with props covering across on the open side?

My guess would be that France had just moved the point of attack from right to left and there was bunching so Furlong was pushed from the pillar defender position out in order to get more players across to cover the space.

It's obviously not ideal as Furlong is d2 now and has to put pressure on the first receiver. Not easy for a prop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Whats going on here?

It's actually something I thought at the time.
    Sure, man and ball tackle by Lowe is the perfect outcome. But, failing that he did the next best thing, forced his man back inside. Unfortunately, his inside support was a prop and a late arriving flanker, with a scrambling fullback struggling to make up space.

So, 2 weeks in a row, Lowe makes a decision and when it doesn't shut the move down, it's a prop trying to cover.
    Something in the system that gets everybody else to fold around the ruck, leaving props on the "weak" side? Or something else entirely?

Advertisement