Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you prefer to live on Sheriff Street or in Dolphins barn?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭HBC08

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That video is always trotted out when Sherriff St. is mentioned on Boards.ie. It was shot was when they used the flats for the movie "The Boxer" with Daniel Day Lewis before they were demolished. Everything from the set was stored there too, from burned out cars to fake life size bomb victim corpses. I lived there then and it wasn't that bad.

What's the deal with all the Provo graffiti?
    Seems bizarre enough stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dd973 wrote: »
    These areas shouldn't be lionised as 'tough', 'hard' or 'rough'.

They're just s**t and full of a***holes apart from the poor people stuck in them who deserve better in terms of environment and life chances.

I never know why Ireland is always so high up on the HDI index, you don't see these sort of dives in Norway or Switzerland or the underclass we have here.

You do though.

Evidently you haven't been to either. But sure lookeh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

HBC08 wrote: »
    What's the deal with all the Provo graffiti?
    Seems bizarre enough stuff.

I've explained this already. It was for a movie. A film. It's a set, they used the area when the flats were depopulated as a front for the 1997 movie "The Boxer". It's fake graffiti, fake murals to depict Belfast at the height of the troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

BlowHard wrote: »
    It's a movie set. Like be saying oh look what a ****hole NY is after the destruction scene from a film like day after tomorrow. It's actually in the video title if you look.

Jesus Christ I know. I posted it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sheriff st. The name makes me feel like there's law and order there.
    It's Apache country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I'm sorry if that's your only two options :/ But I'd say Dolphins barn..I think the population has aged considerably in that area so there's a bit less trouble, although obviously anti social problems are still prevalent. There's some good rejuvenation projects underway, obviously the flats are in the process of being demolished and retrofitted, a nursing home was just built by the SC Road, the old cinema is being turned into student flats etc.. So it's on the up for sure. It's because it's a pretty major artery into the city centre - Liberties- which itself is becoming gentrified quite rapidly so it's spilling over into Dolphin's barn.

You'd think the same about Sheriff St. given the proximity to the North Docks, but to me it still feels very rough. It has improved a lot as a place to live compared to 20 years ago but yeh, doesn't seem to have the same trajectory as Dolphin's barn is on for some reason, I thin it's the fact it's a bit isolated and not within a major travel corridor into the city centre like DB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

It's Apache country.

Bandit

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bandit

Yo what up

Omackeral wrote: »
    Sherriff Street 1991 looked gorgeous

Those were a lot of props and such, put in place for a film.

Oh look more looking down your noses at people less fortunate than ones self.

less fortunate? Stones throw to CBD & the same access to education the rest if us have. Less fortunate me hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Would rather neither if I had a choice to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Augeo wrote: »
    less fortunate? Stones throw to CBD & the same access to education the rest if us have. Less fortunate me hole.

Personal responsibility has gone out of fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Dolphin's Barn makes me feel like Fungi has an agricultural storage building there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Omackeral wrote: »
    Sherriff Street 1991 looked gorgeous

That’s from a movie, I believe. Daniel Day-Lewis was in it. A lot of those cars are “props” and the graffiti was added by the crew, I would imagine.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Which would you prefer? Dolphins barn, or Sheriff Street?

Probably Dublin 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Dolphin's Barn is literally no comparison with Sheriff Street. When I was in college a lot of my friends lived directly on the doorsteps of Teresa's Gardens and Dolphin House respectively because rent was actually reasonable, and apart from a consistent theme of local burglaries, they aren't as dangerous as their reputations suggest. Yes, there was a lot of inter-gang violence particularly in Teresa's Gardens but the people involved generally tended to ignore outsiders for the most part. You'd be kept awake at night by scraps and so on occasionally but it was nothing like the kind of violent scenes we've been seeing regular videos of from East Wall or the Sheriff St / Seville Place vicinities since last Summer. Literally no comparison.

Now having said all that, Dublin 8 does have an extremely dangerous patch, it's just not where most folks think it is. The Barn is relatively quiet. St Anthony's Road in neighbouring Rialto and Basin Street which runs alongside the LUAS line, however, which between them form a pair of streets linked by a short stretch of James' Walk, may be honestly the scariest stretch of city I've ever stepped foot in. The Basin St flats around the time I was in college seemed to entertain daily violence and I'm not talking about just gang heads attacking eachother, I'm talking about wanton harassment of random passers by, muggings, verbal abuse, assaults, etc. Serious vandalism, firebombing of cars for sh!ts and giggles (not for any personal reason, just because these c*nts thought it was funny) etc. Basin St is probably the only place I've ever been in Dublin which genuinely resembles the anarchic and chaotically violent stories you hear about what the likes of Fatima Mansions or Summerhill / Gloucester Place were like before they were demolished and rebuilt in the late 2000s.

Anthony's Road, on the other hand, was at that time literally a street comprised almost entirely of boarded up, burnt out houses with threatening graffiti spray painted and the same kind of daily random street violence. IIRC it wasn't on the same scale as Basin Street which seemed a truly lawless place akin to the current situation in East Wall but it was still very frightening for students who had moved to Dublin from other parts of the country and weren't aware of the locally notorious rough streets.

What really blows my mind about Rialto is the fact that Anthony's Road is literally directly beside Church Ave and Rialto St, and these are incredibly quiet and even well-to-do streets. It's a very bizarre place in that it seems to showcase the most and least dangerous type of Dublin community separated literally by one row of houses, which is something fairly unique that I haven't encountered anywhere else - Dublin has always had a localised thing where safe and dodgy areas can be separated by just a street or two, but the transition from utterly lawless to jarringly settled is about ten footsteps when you walk along the South Circular towards Rialto village. Very very strange feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Unregistered39

Oh look more looking down your noses at people less fortunate than ones self.

Couldn't agree more. OP, what's the motivation behind your original question? Because for the life of me I can't think of how it could be anything remotely generous or positive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 TonyTheShifter

Couldn't agree more. OP, what's the motivation behind your original question? Because for the life of me I can't think of how it could be anything remotely generous or positive.

To discern which neighbourhood has the worst reputation. Nothing snobby about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Unregistered39

To discern which neighbourhood has the worst reputation. Nothing snobby about it.

Why though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Dolphin's Barn. Sheriff St is still a dive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The two ends of Sheriff Street are basically different worlds. Couldn't pay me to live up by Connolly; but down by The Point is fine; and the ruinous industrial estate is going in the next year or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 TonyTheShifter

Why though?

Because I find it interesting to observe prevailing social attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

listermint wrote: »
    You do though.

Evidently you haven't been to either. But sure lookeh

Been to both not that either is even worth committing to memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Wait til you hear about Jobstown...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I never understood why Sherriffer wasn't taken over and gentrified. Look at the location.

A bloke I know bought an apartment in Spanish Harlem in 1996 for $67,000. He couldn't believe that somone wouldn't want to buy something in a crap neighbourhood within walking distance of Midtown Manhattan.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

I never understood why Sherriffer wasn't taken over and gentrified. Look at the location.

A bloke I know bought an apartment in Spanish Harlem in 1996 for $67,000. He couldn't believe that somone wouldn't want to buy something in a crap neighbourhood within walking distance of Midtown Manhattan.

It has been gentrified though hasnt it? The Upper part looks like it has been anyway, im not sure what it was like years ago but seems nice now. It's nice up around that area in general I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That video is always trotted out when Sherriff St. is mentioned on Boards.ie. It was shot was when they used the flats for the movie "The Boxer" with Daniel Day Lewis before they were demolished. Everything from the set was stored there too, from burned out cars to fake life size bomb victim corpses. I lived there then and it wasn't that bad.

Keep telling yourself that. There's other videos as well, corroborating that only some of it is from the movie. Dublin in and around the docklands, in the whole, was a complete ****hole back then. My granny had a shop not too far from here. Anybody thinking otherwise is kidding themselves. There's no shame to it we were dirt poor right up until around that time. That video despite what you think is a great archive material, as the lad himself saids in the video. Did the crew add the kids aged 6, ready to rumble with the lads videoing as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBp6hAPUUSg

Dolphins Barn is the better place and with more potential. Sheriff Street and parts of Seville Place will never ever change. Those communties have lived there generations in fairness and will never be touched as the docks have been given over to business and the jobs lost in the docklands. In fact as the city grows and evolves around them, and the people residing within feel more embittered and isolated i'd wager it will get worse and the area will become literally a no go zone for outsiders. Now if you are saying the general area. Like literally the street beside Sheriffer, yeah of course its grand. If you're talking about going for a pint in Noctors coming back from the shop forget about it.

Dublin 8 has some serious heads and social issues in some of its darkest corners, however anybody with vision can see it could be easily transformed without damaging the local community. Some of which is already happening and more will happen as people and DCC cop on to actual city management.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Dolphin's Barn is literally no comparison with Sheriff Street. When I was in college a lot of my friends lived directly on the doorsteps of Teresa's Gardens and Dolphin House respectively because rent was actually reasonable, and apart from a consistent theme of local burglaries, they aren't as dangerous as their reputations suggest. Yes, there was a lot of inter-gang violence particularly in Teresa's Gardens but the people involved generally tended to ignore outsiders for the most part. You'd be kept awake at night by scraps and so on occasionally but it was nothing like the kind of violent scenes we've been seeing regular videos of from East Wall or the Sheriff St / Seville Place vicinities since last Summer. Literally no comparison.

Now having said all that, Dublin 8 does have an extremely dangerous patch, it's just not where most folks think it is. The Barn is relatively quiet. St Anthony's Road in neighbouring Rialto and Basin Street which runs alongside the LUAS line, however, which between them form a pair of streets linked by a short stretch of James' Walk, may be honestly the scariest stretch of city I've ever stepped foot in. The Basin St flats around the time I was in college seemed to entertain daily violence and I'm not talking about just gang heads attacking eachother, I'm talking about wanton harassment of random passers by, muggings, verbal abuse, assaults, etc. Serious vandalism, firebombing of cars for sh!ts and giggles (not for any personal reason, just because these c*nts thought it was funny) etc. Basin St is probably the only place I've ever been in Dublin which genuinely resembles the anarchic and chaotically violent stories you hear about what the likes of Fatima Mansions or Summerhill / Gloucester Place were like before they were demolished and rebuilt in the late 2000s.

Anthony's Road, on the other hand, was at that time literally a street comprised almost entirely of boarded up, burnt out houses with threatening graffiti spray painted and the same kind of daily random street violence. IIRC it wasn't on the same scale as Basin Street which seemed a truly lawless place akin to the current situation in East Wall but it was still very frightening for students who had moved to Dublin from other parts of the country and weren't aware of the locally notorious rough streets.

What really blows my mind about Rialto is the fact that Anthony's Road is literally directly beside Church Ave and Rialto St, and these are incredibly quiet and even well-to-do streets. It's a very bizarre place in that it seems to showcase the most and least dangerous type of Dublin community separated literally by one row of houses, which is something fairly unique that I haven't encountered anywhere else - Dublin has always had a localised thing where safe and dodgy areas can be separated by just a street or two, but the transition from utterly lawless to jarringly settled is about ten footsteps when you walk along the South Circular towards Rialto village. Very very strange feeling.

I can really relate to a lot this. The only time I've ever had trouble living in town was on that bit of James' Walk you're on about. Got attacked by a group of teenagers, was pretty bad and thankfully some locals jumped in to help me or it could have been much worse.
    I lived on Rialto St temporarily before and thought the same as you. I couldnt figure out why wealthy people would want to buy a house there when I thought of it from their perspective. I have always lived North inner City since moving to town and much preferred the other areas I lived in. I really didnt like Rialto. City center rental prices but really doesn't feel as close to the City as it actually is. A lot of the Streets around can be quite eerie I think. To get to a supermarket by foot you pretty much have to go in or around these areas you've mentioned. The Luas journey from Fatima to town can be depressing too most of the time. I'm not a snob or anything but its not for me, theres more to life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

I'm not a Dub, but I worked on a regeneration project in the 2000's in both areas.

Sweet Baby Jesus is all I can say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭afatbollix

10 years ago I knew the community Guard that's patch was on Sheriff street, They had a patrol car on the street 24 hours a day at the time.

Anyway as she was around so much she got to know alot of the local's, dodgy lads and all.

One lad who was a fat lad started to lose a load of weight and asked what he was doing and said it was the bulletproof jumper he now wore everywhere! Made her try it on and all. Must of been about 15kg

Some join a gym but it's a different world in some parts.

Advertisement