Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you prefer to live on Sheriff Street or in Dolphins barn?

Options
  • 13-02-2021 8:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5

Which would you prefer? Dolphins barn, or Sheriff Street?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Dolphin’s Barn, for me. Wouldn’t want to run the risk of having a green light put on me in the other place.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Neither?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sherriff Street 1991 looked gorgeous

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 TonyTheShifter

Omackeral wrote: »

Pretty sure those flats are long gone though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Did Fungi stop there for hay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Find Fungi

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Dolphins Barn isn't bad these days, certainly not like the 90s anyway when my nanny would lock herself into her house once it started getting dark cos of the addicts, her door bell was stolen at one stage even by the feckers. Rialto is a lovely area beside the barn that (had) a few nice pubs and shops in it & area in general is handy as feck for town/luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭omeara1113

Neither

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Jesus and there was me thinking Sarajevo was the most run down place of the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Christ what a terrible choice... Not sure what I'd choose.. Maybe dolphins barn as its being redeveloped but christ I'd really have to question what happened my life if I lived in either place..

No doubt we will here but the people who live there are the salt of the earth type..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dolphins Barn is absolutely grand

Dolphins Barn isn't bad these days, certainly not like the 90s anyway when my nanny would lock herself into her house once it started getting dark cos of the addicts, her door bell was stolen at one stage even by the feckers. Rialto is a lovely area beside the barn that (had) a few nice pubs and shops in it & area in general is handy as feck for town/luas.

That reuben st run is a pit with the local kids and a few families

Pity because lots of decent families on the st but no way id recommend anyone go near the place without their eyes wide open

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 TonyTheShifter

That reuben st run is a pit with the local kids and a few families

Pity because lots of decent families on the st but no way id recommend anyone go near the place without their eyes wide open

Used to walk down there heading for the Fatima Luas stop. Never had any trouble, though it was certainly felt like an “eyes in the back of your head” type of place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Dolphins Barn, I did delivery work around the city for a number of years and I've seen a fair few incidents around the Sheriff street area compared to Dolphins barn.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Sheriffer, Northsider for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The morgue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

There are two Sheriff Streets. Upper and lower, and they are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

In which town are these two areas located?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That video is always trotted out when Sherriff St. is mentioned on Boards.ie. It was shot was when they used the flats for the movie "The Boxer" with Daniel Day Lewis before they were demolished. Everything from the set was stored there too, from burned out cars to fake life size bomb victim corpses. I lived there then and it wasn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That video is always trotted out when Sherriff St. is mentioned on Boards.ie. It was shot was when they used the flats for the movie "The Boxer" with Daniel Day Lewis before they were demolished. Everything from the set was stored there too, from burned out cars to fake life size bomb victim corpses. I lived there then and it wasn't that bad.

Literally in the title of the video that it's for a film but it claims its for In The Name of the Father. Would make sense with all the IRA graffiti in it.

• Advertisement

Literally in the title of the video that it's for a film but it claims its for In The Name of the Father. Would make sense with all the IRA graffiti in it.

The flats were destroyed in the late 90's, In The Name Of the Father was filmed in 91, The Boxer was filmed in 97, just before the flats were destroyed. The Boxer film centers on the life of a boxer and former Provisional IRA volunteer Danny Flynn and the Sherriff st. flats and the surrounding area were used as a set for the movie with a lot of IRA graffiti and murals.

There’s always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

John_Rambo wrote: »

Ah right. That makes a lot of sense. And Jim Sheridan is from that neck of the woods.

There’s always one.

There's lots of people that don't know what exists outside their hometown. For Hangdogroad, both areas are in the Capital of Ireland, Dublin city. They'd be considered "rough" areas with social problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

These areas shouldn't be lionised as 'tough', 'hard' or 'rough'.

They're just s**t and full of a***holes apart from the poor people stuck in them who deserve better in terms of environment and life chances.

I never know why Ireland is always so high up on the HDI index, you don't see these sort of dives in Norway or Switzerland or the underclass we have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's hard to believe it used to be a bigger ****in kip than it is now.

It's hard to believe it used to be a bigger ****in kip than it is now.

That's a movie set. Try not just concentrate on the pictures and videos, read the words and sentences on the thread before commenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Sheriff st. The name makes me feel like there's law and order there.

• Advertisement

Sheriff st. The name makes me feel like there's law and order there.

I know, there's a certain western feel to the name that evokes law or lawlessness to it. They were all name after civic offices and concepts. Mayor Street, Guild Street, Harbourmaster Place, Commons Street and Sheriff street.

Advertisement