Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Technical Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Dublin is exposed to the southeasterly wind so should be fine but Kildare is definitely in a shadow to some extent. Most models actually show that with either light precip or even none at all at times.

Was wondering if soundings looked positive in the south west away from the coast. Atlantic usually not good for snow down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Looks good for us in the sunny South East. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Was wondering if soundings looked positive in the south west away from the coast. Atlantic usually not good for snow down here.

Looks ok for a while tomorrow evening inland Cork/Kerry, even close enough to coasts. It might not last long though.

This will be a nowcast. We can dump the models tomorrow and what happens, happens.

Looks ok for a while tomorrow evening inland Cork/Kerry, even close enough to coasts. It might not last long though.

This will be a nowcast. We can dump the models tomorrow and what happens, happens.

Cheers Kermit. Am hoping for some stalling down here by that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Im learning a lot here. Green = Good ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

R.F. wrote: »

I think green is heavier precipitation. White hatched lines equal snow. I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I think green is heavier precipitation. White hatched lines equal snow. I think!

Yeah if you look at the scale at the bottom green is better than blue (from a more precipitation point of view), increasing in precipitation as you go further right on the scale.

Edit: And yes, the white lines = snow, rather than rain.

Aye, the darker greens, yellows etc indicate more preciptation amounts over an hour mostly. But sometimes over 3 or 6 hours... depending on the model and resolution.

For example..

ICON chart above is preciptation over 1 hour.

However, the GFS chart above is precipitation over 3 hours.

Thus the latter on the face of it will always look like more "impressive". It's really not, it's just the different periods.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Yeah if you look at the scale at the bottom green is better than blue (from a more precipitation point of view), increasing in precipitation as you go further right on the scale.

Edit: And yes, the white lines = snow, rather than rain.

My French is also improving.
    Verglas = ice.

Met Éireann update for tomorrow. Positive for snow.

Sleet and snow in the southwest tomorrow morning will gradually extend northeastwards across Munster, Connacht and south Leinster through the day, with snow accumulations leading to some hazardous conditions. Snow will turn to rain or sleet in southern and southwestern coastal districts. Remaining mostly dry elsewhere with sunny spells, although cloud will increase later. It will be windy and very cold with highest temperatures of 1 to 3 degrees, with an added wind chill factor due to fresh to strong and gusty southeasterly winds. Winds will be strongest in the west and southwest.

• Advertisement

Dublin is exposed to the southeasterly wind so should be fine but Kildare is definitely in a shadow to some extent. Most models actually show that with either light precip or even none at all at times.

See here, this is a shadow

45-574UK.GIF?10-6

Anti snow is up half the night watching cows calving at the moment, is that chart suggesting I bring my new shovel with me? :D

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Anti snow is up half the night watching cows calving at the moment, is that chart suggesting I bring my new shovel with me? :D

Not sure about a shovel but you area is probably among the most well primed for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

FRIDAY NIGHT: A wet and windy night as rain spreads countrywide, falling as sleet or snow in Ulster and parts of north and east Leinster. Rain will be heavy in southern coastal counties with a risk of some flooding. Lowest temperatures of 0 to 4 degrees generally, but less cold in the southwest with lows of 5 to 9 degrees. Southeasterly winds will be fresh to strong and gusty.
    Update from Met E.

I'm holding on for this in SE Ulster. Are the models still supporting this period of snow?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I’m very confused. Very mixed messages on this forum. Some saying Ulster will see nothing.

So I check Xc weather and I am down for no higher than 4c from now to next Thursday.

But the Met Office says 9c from Sunday. Which is right?

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I’m very confused. Very mixed messages on this forum. Some saying Ulster will see nothing.

So I check Xc weather and I am down for no higher than 4c from now to next Thursday.

Neither

It will be milder, wetter and windier from Sunday for everyone.

How long that lasts is impossible to know. Most of next week looks a write off. Some models show signs high pressure will begin to reassert itself to the east or northeast later in the week.

So why does xc weather say 3c for Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Ulster won't tomorrow(maybe cavan area). Ulster should Friday night/Saturday.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

So why does xc weather say 3c for Sunday?

Thats based on GFS.

Says same (3c and snow) for me in Dublin on Sunday, whereas Met Eireann app, based on ECM, says 10c and rain.

I know which I would prefer! ;)

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Thats based on GFS.

Says same (3c and snow) for me in Dublin on Sunday, whereas Met Eireann app, based on ECM, says 10c and rain.

I know which I would prefer! ;)

Yes, would prefer the cold held on a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Ulster and north Leinster looks like it will see disruptive snowfall on Friday night and Saturday morning in particular with good cross model agreement now. As for Xc I never ground it to be a great app.

Ulster and north Leinster looks like it will see disruptive snowfall on Friday night and Saturday morning in particular with good cross model agreement now. As for Xc I never ground it to be a great app.

It’s reflective of what the gfs shows though which is a continuation of the cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

It’s reflective of what the gfs shows though which is a continuation of the cold.

I use the Weather Channel app, it's a useful tool but like most apps, flawed in some respects. I think they use GFS too, and after Saturday it's a mild wet week ahead according to that. Temps 9 to 11 each day up to following weekend. Take that with a pinch of salt but more likely to happen than a return to cold in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

ECM 06z is a touch less generous with the snow on the Thursday/Friday wave, but a little bit more generous with it on the Saturday morning:

modezrpd-20210210-1400-animation.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Until Sunday at the latest it looks like. Flooding could be the big issue by the end of the weekend. It's a great pity just as everything has dried out. If cold does return after mid month, i hope we can get more days like today out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I use the Weather Channel app, it's a useful tool but like most apps, flawed in some respects. I think they use GFS too, and after Saturday it's a mild wet week ahead according to that. Temps 9 to 11 each day up to following weekend. Take that with a pinch of salt but more likely to happen than a return to cold in my opinion.

Apps take a model run and programatically turn that into an auto-generated forecast for a given location. It's essentially the same as looking at a model and taking it as absolute gospel.

The app coder could have added some algorithmic adjustments on top of a model, but these will be very generalised (and in the case of the Weather Channel, US-specific). The whole point of these apps is to require zero human intervention in the forecast generation.

In short, I think they're usually rubbish. Met Eireann's app I want to give the benefit of the doubt and say that (a) they're using their own model which is better tuned for Irish meteorological conditions and (b) they might possibly be hand-tuning the model generated forecasts for parts of the country anyway, and they can feed that into their app.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes, it looks like we'll pay for this cold spell with several mild and wet days, but there are tentative signs the cold could return sometime after mid month. It will be interesting to see if we see a change in the UKMO long range for the worst, as per recent ECM runs, or if they will stick to ebbing and flowing theme.

Yes, it looks like we'll pay for this cold spell with several mild and wet days, but there are tentative signs the cold could return sometime after mid month. It will be interesting to see if we see a change in the UKMO long range for the worst, as per recent ECM runs, or if they will stick to ebbing and flowing theme.

I just hope it’s more of a NE when it does return, with intense instability.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    ECM 06z is a touch less generous with the snow on the Thursday/Friday wave, but a little bit more generous with it on the Saturday morning:

modezrpd-20210210-1400-animation.gif

Precip extended further north though so better for Dubs for Thursday night/Friday.

Advertisement