Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Technical Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

ECM 18z:

modezrpd-20210211-2100-animation.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The uppers get warmer quite quickly across the South on the latest models so snow turning to rain on Thursday evening. Still a good few hours of falling snow but it would be fair to say nearly every model nudge a fraction milder on the overnight runs.
    So its an orange warning to come for Southern counties but no red for this event

Worth watching the radar today though things quite active down south

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Latest HARMONIE is better looking for some snow tomorrow night for Southeast:

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1359393118643228673?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

That looks pretty nice for Dublin too early morning.

quote="Villain;116227820"]Latest HARMONIE is better looking for some snow tomorrow night for Southeast:

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1359393118643228673?s=21[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,409 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I agree, not seeing anything very different from earlier model runs and same spread of guidance, maybe a little coming together for a weak consensus but the range of possible snowfalls in the heaviest zone (looks to be inland southeast to Connacht) is 5 to 20 cm. Ten seems like a reasonable compromise.

There could be movement in some direction at forecast time tomorrow morning, as the details become clearer. Here's a recent Atlantic satellite image showing the development of the frontal systems to the southwest at present time.

This image will update so whenever you read this, it should be showing the latest imagery.

https://weather.gc.ca/data/satellite/goes_sigwx_1070_100.jpg

In the latest (06z) surface analysis, the low clearly visible in the western Atlantic is shown as 967 mb and it has been drifting slowly eastward at similar intensity for the past six hours. In the frontal system out ahead of this low, the larger blob to the south is probably the formation of the mild sector and the rainfall expected, so the snowfall would be forming in the weaker imagery to its north-northeast as well as out of any enhanced streamers from a southeast origin that would be forming in the area currently shown as stratus cloud layers.

So that's what the models are dealing with, coming into range of the continuing cold easterly flow into Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

All mention of snow in Ulster in MT forecast gone for Saturday ??? That’s some turnaround.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A quick look through this mornings runs and the front is delayed by a good 5 hours or so compared to yesterdays runs. For my own location in Waterford City arrival around 3pm as opposed to 10am which was the output last night. Looks to be very slow moving so could dump quiet an amount of snow. I would be surprised if Met Eireann don't update Warning Levels to Orange for some South East counties and possibly Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

BBC showed snow for the south mostly, not much further north

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Much better activity in the Irish sea this morning. GL how are all them layers/ soundings looking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

BBC showed snow for the south mostly, not much further north

Was really wondering about Friday night and Saturday potential. Thought some models this morning were still suggesting a good amount for Ulster. Met E also mentioned it but possibly mild air will win out it seems.

A quick look through this mornings runs and the front is delayed by a good 5 hours or so compared to yesterdays runs. For my own location in Waterford City arrival around 3pm as opposed to 10am which was the output last night. Looks to be very slow moving so could dump quiet an amount of snow. I would be surprised if Met Eireann don't update Warning Levels to Orange for some South East counties and possibly Cork.

Yeah that's going to struggle to get to Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

A beautiful morning in Donegal. Cold, dry and crisp. Breeze has dropped a lot so that severe windchill has gone. Reading through this mornings forecasts and yet more u turns. I don't think I can recall a forecasting period of such uncertainty and inaccuracy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Yeah that's going to struggle to get to Wexford

GFS has Wexford well covered with the front end of the band reaching Dublin by 9pm or so. Still lots of uncertainty and probably will be a nowcast.

Nobody posting any charts this morning? I'll bite. ECM 00z:

modezrpd-20210210-1000-animation.gif

xx-model-en-318-0-modezrpd-2021021000-90-949-63.png

The one thing most models are showing is pretty rapid loss of snow depth — we could be looking at some flood warnings with all the combined precipitation and snow melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Probably a now cast, but the way it looks, S, SE and E really get a good dumping as that low stalls, the front reaches past Dublin and then starts to turn a little, precip stays all over the east coast from E coast Meath all the way to Wexford. :)

Not sure on the front's arrival time however, I think that'll be completely a nowcast situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah id say the North and West will not see much precipitation at all until the rains come

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

MJohnston wrote: »
    Nobody posting any charts this morning? I'll bite. ECM 00z:

xx-model-en-318-0-modezrpd-2021021000-90-949-63.png

The one thing most models are showing is pretty rapid loss of snow depth — we could be looking at some flood warnings with all the combined precipitation and snow melt.

That snow depth chart you posted is for right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭typhoony

Not exactly an upgrade but the front is stalling, I think a line between galway - Portumna - portlaoise - Wicklow might be where it stalls

• Registered Users Posts: 16,702 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

pauldry wrote: »
    Yeah id say the North and West will not see much precipitation at all until the rains come

Yes its starting to look that way. The land will be quite soggy again after this weekend.

• Advertisement

Will Louth get some or is it mainly the south?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Saturday snow warning for up here

A band of snow is likely to arrive into Northern Ireland during the early hours of Saturday, then move east into parts of England, Wales and Scotland through the day. Not all areas will have snow, but where it does fall 1-4 cm are possible widely, with 5-10 cm, perhaps up to 15 cm over high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yes, and it's not even accurate with what's happening on the ground in the highlighted areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Heavy swirling snow here in Meath/Louth border. Not sticking yet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,578 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GFS & ICON 19z tomorrow...

36-574UK.GIF?10-6

iconeu_uk1-1-36-0.png?10-10

Getting on the same page now but still some distance in projected intensity. Should be ironed out more or less by tonight I would think.

Oops, didn't embed the proper gif version:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Soundings look good tomorrow but the big thing to note is the snow shadow from the Wicklow mountains. It seems to stretch northwestwards as far north as Cavan. A little disappointing from an IMBY point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Soundings look good tomorrow but the big thing to note is the snow shadow from the Wicklow mountains. It seems to stretch northwestwards as far north as Cavan. A little disappointing from an IMBY point of view.

Is that all over or for midlands/Dublin area?

Always an ease to the nerves to have GL onboard. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,578 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is that all over or for midlands/Dublin area?

Dublin is exposed to the southeasterly wind so should be fine but Kildare is definitely in a shadow to some extent. Most models actually show that with either light precip or even none at all at times.

See here, this is a shadow

45-574UK.GIF?10-6

Advertisement