Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Technical Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Yes, it looks like we'll pay for this cold spell with several mild and wet days, but there are tentative signs the cold could return sometime after mid month. It will be interesting to see if we see a change in the UKMO long range for the worst, as per recent ECM runs, or if they will stick to ebbing and flowing theme.

I don't think I could handle a weeks buildup to the next event. I haven't got the stamina anymore. God be with the days you knew about snow coming the day before. If that. And hanging on to the 12.55 or 5.55 radio weather forecasts because there was nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

MJohnston wrote: »
      Apps take a model run and programatically turn that into an auto-generated forecast for a given location. It's essentially the same as looking at a model and taking it as absolute gospel.

The app coder could have added some algorithmic adjustments on top of a model, but these will be very generalised (and in the case of the Weather Channel, US-specific). The whole point of these apps is to require zero human intervention in the forecast generation.

In short, I think they're usually rubbish. Met Eireann's app I want to give the benefit of the doubt and say that (a) they're using their own model which is better tuned for Irish meteorological conditions and (b) they might possibly be hand-tuning the model generated forecasts for parts of the country anyway, and they can feed that into their app.
      Am I correct in thinking that they are not necessarily 100% accurate geographically either? I recall reading somewhere that an auto generated forecast for, say, Dublin, could actually be a forecast for a point which could be a few miles away and perhaps at a point located at sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't think I could handle a weeks buildup to the next event. I haven't got the stamina anymore. God be with the days you knew about snow coming the day before. If that. And hanging on to the 12.55 or 5.55 radio weather forecasts because there was nothing else.

:pac: You just can't help but take a peek at the models and get your hopes up. I remember those days with my late father of turning on the radio at 5 to midnight to see what was in store for us. Also the days of just opening the curtains to see the ground covered in white from a seemingly ninja snow event. They were great times as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Anyone know what model the yr weather app uses? Its linked to norweigan met.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I used to run up the bill on the house phone ringing 1550 123 854 something wicked!!

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

The Met Éireann app I think uses its own model the Harmonie which auto generates a forecast for 54hours ahead. After that it's the Ecmwf model it uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

09Z ICON Flash (hi-res ICON run at out to 30 hours at 03, 09, 15 & 21Z) shows some good snow for much of Munster tomorrow morning, even the south Cork coast, especially around midday. This is its last frame. The 15Z should be out at around 17Z.

542871.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

09Z ICON Flash (hi-res ICON run at out to 24 hours at 03, 09, 15 & 21Z) shows some good snow for much of Munster tomorrow morning, even the south Cork coast, especially around 6-8 am. This is its last frame. The 15Z should be out at around 17Z.

542871.png

You have made my afternoon GL. It usually starts to go downhill from this time on.

Is that light green showing rain though?

froog wrote: »
        Anyone know what model the yr weather app uses? Its linked to norweigan met.

Norwegian HiRLAM for the immediate area and the ECMWF outside of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

09Z ICON Flash (hi-res ICON run at out to 24 hours at 03, 09, 15 & 21Z) shows some good snow for much of Munster tomorrow morning, even the south Cork coast, especially around 6-8 am. This is its last frame. The 15Z should be out at around 17Z.

Sadly I think you're reading it with the ECM's colour key — blue on this model is sleet.

• Advertisement
      • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Larbre34 wrote: »
        I used to run up the bill on the house phone ringing 1550 123 854 something wicked!!

I also rang a few times!

I also remember in the late 80s/early 90s BBC used to have news and weather on the hour on afternoon TV. I would be there every hour to see the very low resolution radar!

MJohnston wrote: »
        Sadly I think you're reading it with the ECM's colour key — blue on this model is sleet.

It's snow or rain&snow

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
        save the trouble and jazz it up

Looking at the charts, Thursday night will be quite good for the SE, going off a nowcast the band might reach into dublin, with it heavier for SCD as there's more of a chance for us (lucky me :P) but I think my focus has shifted to the event that night :eek:

By the time the Thursday band gets into parts of E Leinster, it will probably be either late evening or even Friday morning, I'm not entirely sure but it would probably be bigger flakes as it's a SW band of precip, however for me anyway, I don't expect it to stick or accumulate all too well...

If the models are believed to be right, There could be two separate "snow systems" (snow storms kind of) for the E over a 12 hour period with a respite in-between! :eek:

A little less confident with the Thursday band reaching Dublin but my guess is, the SE wind will help it get here as we're not exposed if I'm correct Kermit?

Friday night however, could be truly epic. The low system looks to be rearing and really packs a punch with it's precip as it turns to snow from North Sligo down to Wicklow Eastwards. I do however, expect the precip from the West to downgrade a bit like this low tomorrow night.

Exciting times! I do hope we get a decent shower anyway like last night. :D

It's snow or rain&snow

Looks like rain though mostly on cork coast.

You have made my afternoon GL. It usually starts to go downhill from this time on.

Is that light green showing rain though?

Yes, but earlier runs had that green extending well inland through the southern half of Co. Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Larbre34 wrote: »

Me too!!! Got killed over it. Ha

It's snow or rain&snow

Right, it just seems to lack the orange hues of the ECM charts which more specifically indicate sleet vs snow.

Yes, but earlier runs had that green extending well inland through the southern half of Co. Cork.

I am about 30 miles inland of cork city so will be interesting to watch. Past experience tells me to expect rain/sleet.

Yes, we all know that rain will follow behind, but earlier (around midday) that green is blue.

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

TTLF wrote: »
        A little less confident with the Thursday band reaching Dublin but my guess is, the SE wind will help it get here as we're not exposed if I'm correct Kermit?

Friday night however, could be truly epic. The low system looks to be rearing and really packs a punch with it's precip as it turns to snow from North Sligo down to Wicklow Eastwards. I do however, expect the precip from the West to downgrade a bit like this low tomorrow night.

It should reach Dublin and further north than that up to Louth or north Meath. Most if not all models show that now. A question of timing and intensity.

Friday night looks very good indeed. Just a pity there is slightly milder air in behind. We may get Saturday morning out of snow on the ground but doubtful much beyond that.

Strangely the 11Z TAF for Cork Airport (valid up to midday tomorrow) makes no mention of any precipitation at all! The Harmonie must be seriously lagging the ICON Flash timewise.

TAF EICK 101100Z 1012/1112 09016KT 9999 FEW020 BKN030
        TEMPO 1012/1016 10017G27KT
        TEMPO 1020/1024 11017G27KT
        BECMG 1100/1102 11022G32KT
        BECMG 1107/1109 BKN008
        TEMPO 1108/1112 12025G42KT=

09Z ICON Flash (hi-res ICON run at out to 30 hours at 03, 09, 15 & 21Z) shows some good snow for much of Munster tomorrow morning, even the south Cork coast, especially around midday. This is its last frame. The 15Z should be out at around 17Z.

542871.png

A lot of coastal snow showers ahead of ot in the east I see :)

I'm hoping that this Friday/Saturday band of precip can stay on the colder side of marginal. Especially the Saturday morning stuff, give the kids something to see, unlike these overnight dustings.

542877.png

ICON has it as snow pretty much throughout for most

iconeu_uk1-1-70-0.png?10-10

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
        save the trouble and jazz it up

It should reach Dublin and further north than that up to Louth or north Meath. Most if not all models show that now. A question of timing and intensity.

Friday night looks very good indeed. Just a pity there is slightly milder air in behind. We may get Saturday morning out of snow on the ground but doubtful much beyond that.

It is a pity, however since I'm on midterm from Friday, I will be staying up all night and walking around my estate taking photos and videos in the heavier snow.

I will also be doing the same tomorrow night. That band going off model guidance for tomorrow seems to keep Dublin under the band for quite some time, maybe a few hours? depends on intensity though.

I'll get lots of photos just for you so don't worry! :P

Also just to add ; I'm guessing tomorrow/fridays low would be more inclined to stick because of the frigid DP/WB and temps, along with the more intense precipitation? Sort of what we saw last night here minus the snow grains?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I see a lot of chats for the 12/13th. I thought tomorrow is the big day for most snow. Kermit could u tell me how east Galway 20kms inland might fair out please tomorrow? And thanks.

davidsr20 wrote: »
        I see a lot of chats for the 12/13th. I thought tomorrow is the big day for most snow. Kermit could u tell me how east Galway 20kms inland might fair out please tomorrow? And thanks.

You should get a good few hours out of it. 2 - 5 cm's seems to be the concensus in that part of the woods. That's model guff though. Could be more locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

West cork but further east is showing snow. Prob marginal but If it comes in heavy and snows it will help keep temps down esp as it's slow enough moving. I'm hoping.

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

davidsr20 wrote: »

Looking like borderline snow /sleet at the moment, best to wait another while before planning your snowman design.

Advertisement