Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying next to Social House MOD WARNING POST #118

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I’ve faced similar questioning on here before, hence the response.

I’ve been lucky that I found out through a neighbour that a contact in sporting circles was the previous owner prior to selling to the council, he said the issue only arose once the property was sold and long term vacant, while he lived there it never happened.

As for washing the car, the water is is running down towards a drain outside their back gate about 8 feet from the path. The current next door neighbour said they just look for anything to complain about and are a thorn in the side of the council. He’s the secretary of the residents committee to make it worse

The same guy even got a petition going to try and block all future purchases by the council. This place can be hell on earth at times

Those types are always a nightmare. Its this kind of stuff why I could never live in a housing estate again.

What's hilarious is how you instantly and forthrightly came to the defense of these private homeowners, as if the notion that anyone other than the "layabouts" could cause hassle in a community was just inconceivable. And this is after 16 pages of sweeping, rabid demonising of social tenants based on vague anecdotal prejudices that went basically unchallenged for the most part.

asking questions isn't defending anyone, the poster clarified it and I agree its a nightmare. Nobody is putting halo's on private owners, and aul lads on the residents association curtain twitching and ringing the council if somebody even takes a loud piss are a nightmare but id take those annoying busybodies any day over some of the stuff I've seen happen to HAP landlords or to people living next to social tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

62% depend only on social welfare , you've seen me post the stats 50+ times, lets not drag that inaccurate fact back up.

10% of people in social housing work full time,

it would only be fair to say that a majority of those in social housing are unemployed and only a tiny percentage work full time.

Maybe factor in the old/retired, the disabled etc . Please. Thank you.

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

Maybe factor in the old/retired, the disabled etc . Please. Thank you.

them and the part time workers are the remaining 27.8% , you won't pull that old scapegoat on those figures. 62% are able bodied of working age and completely dependent on the state.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I grew up in a council estate too.
    90% of the people in it were lovely.
    The few families that were scumbags made everyones life in the whole estate a misery. Even cost lots of people their childrens lives at the end of the day. Nowadays I will stay as far away from social housing as i can possibly get.

Please explain. Thank you .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Those types are always a nightmare. Its this kind of stuff why I could never live in a housing estate again.

Nightmare is being polite about it, i'm here 10 years this year, there's approximately 100 houses in the estate, the council own 5, maybe 6 at a stretch, we're scattered across the 4 corners of the estate but i happen to live directly across from this guy, about 5 years ago he complained that i was washing my yard with Jeyes Fluid he reported me to the council, low and behold they appear at my door, they were told that the waste water from my washing machine was spilling out into the rear of the estate where we park our cars, they asked to inspect the property and i gladly gave them a tour, i even showed him my shed, the council apologised for the unnecessary inconvenience to me but had to act based on the report received which transpired to be both false and malicious. Next time i seen yer man i called him a knickers, the one and only time i opened my mouth against anyone here. In recent months the house next to him which was previously rented out privately was put on the market as the landlord had enough of this guy dictating to him who he should and should not rent to, so the landlord sold out to the council, the council put the house on CBL and there is a family of 5 now living next door to him, the husband is from the travelling community and this hasn't gone down well with him despite the people being very respectful, he is merely judged on both his accent and surname. He told them where to park their cars as well and how they should do it. To cap it all off the secretary is a f**king banker.

Nightmare is being polite about it, i'm here 10 years this year, there's approximately 100 houses in the estate, the council own 5, maybe 6 at a stretch, we're scattered across the 4 corners of the estate but i happen to live directly across from this guy, about 5 years ago he complained that i was washing my yard with Jeyes Fluid he reported me to the council, low and behold they appear at my door, they were told that the waste water from my washing machine was spilling out into the rear of the estate where we park our cars, they asked to inspect the property and i gladly gave them a tour, i even showed him my shed, the council apologised for the unnecessary inconvenience to me but had to act based on the report received which transpired to be both false and malicious. Next time i seen yer man i called him a knickers, the one and only time i opened my mouth against anyone here. In recent months the house next to him which was previously rented out privately was put on the market as the landlord had enough of this guy dictating to him who he should and should not rent to, so the landlord sold out to the council, the council put the house on CBL and there is a family of 5 now living next door to him, the husband is from the travelling community and this hasn't gone down well with him despite the people being very respectful, he is merely judged on both his accent and surname. He told them where to park their cars as well and how they should do it. To cap it all off the secretary is a f**king banker.

That lad sounds like an absolute melt, sorry for your troubles there. You'd almost wish the new neighbours were a pox just to get him off your back.

them and the part time workers are the remaining 27.8% , you won't pull that old scapegoat on those figures. 62% are able bodied of working age and completely dependent on the state.

Manners please: I simply asked. And actually unless you have medical reports on everyone how can you know that are able-bodied? Many serious illnesses are invisible. As many of us know from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

I bought my house 7 years ago in Co Meath. Mostly private estate. I only wish i had done some research or made enquiries before i did. I live next door to an absolutely horrible woman & her daughter lives another 3 doors up. Both social tenants. To top it off they're related to a very high profile individual within certain subversive circles so they throw their weight around.

They & their familes are absolute dirt. I've had rows, arguments & fights with several of their family members as their kids think that when my kids go out to play that they're entitled to steal anything they have with them. My house has been broken into twice by her grandsons.Gardai won't go near them because of who they are & other residents are terrified. Ironically the only person they've backed down from is a related to a criminal who would be in the newspapers on fairly regular basis (the irony).

My dogs have been poisoned, my children bullied, my wife has suffered a stroke as a result of all of this. My own health has suffered beyond belief. I just wish i could sell up but absolutely nobody would buy on this road. Last year the old bat was taken away in an ambulance & we had absolute peace for 14 days. Then she came home & all hell broke loose. The OP should run a country mile & then some. Nothing to be gained from being stuck beside the dregs of society. I've lived beside social tenants before & grew up in a social estate in Dublin & rarely had a problem but I've had a living nightmare for years where i am now.

Nobody is putting halo's on private owners,

In fairness, there are plenty putting halos on private owners in this thead.

And I say that as a private owner.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Ah be fair now, a good percentage are working for cash on top of the dole too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I bought my house 7 years ago in Co Meath. Mostly private estate. I only wish i had done some research or made enquiries before i did. I live next door to an absolutely horrible woman & her daughter lives another 3 doors up. Both social tenants. To top it off they're related to a very high profile individual within certain subversive circles so they throw their weight around.

They & their familes are absolute dirt. I've had rows, arguments & fights with several of their family members as their kids think that when my kids go out to play that they're entitled to steal anything they have with them. My house has been broken into twice by her grandsons.Gardai won't go near them because of who they are & other residents are terrified. Ironically the only person they've backed down from is a related to a criminal who would be in the newspapers on fairly regular basis (the irony).

My dogs have been poisoned, my children bullied, my wife has suffered a stroke as a result of all of this. My own health has suffered beyond belief. I just wish i could sell up but absolutely nobody would buy on this road. Last year the old bat was taken away in an ambulance & we had absolute peace for 14 days. Then she came home & all hell broke loose. The OP should run a country mile & then some. Nothing to be gained from being stuck beside the dregs of society. I've lived beside social tenants before & grew up in a social estate in Dublin & rarely had a problem but I've had a living nightmare for years where i am now.

When i read scenarios like this i think i must be lucky despite the crap i'm putting up with, i'm so so sorry (genuinely!) that you are putting up with what you are. The issue here is if, and a big if, you sell up you will likely take a financial hit? Whereas in my case if i really wanted to force a transfer i most likely could as i meet certain criteria but don't want to go as family are nearby, i'm sorry you feel this way about these particular tenants and it is appalling what you are going through, but please don't tar all council tenants with the one brush

When i read scenarios like this i think i must be lucky despite the crap i'm putting up with, i'm so so sorry (genuinely!) that you are putting up with what you are. The issue here is if, and a big if, you sell up you will likely take a financial hit? Whereas in my case if i really wanted to force a transfer i most likely could as i meet certain criteria but don't want to go as family are nearby, i'm sorry you feel this way about these particular tenants and it is appalling what you are going through, but please don't tar all council tenants with the one brush

I'm not tarring all with the one brush as i grew up in a notorious part of Dublin. The tenants I'm referring to in my post are the ones i refer to (and their extended families). I can't sell as my kids are in the autism spectrum & have settled despite everything. This is part of the reason tbey were bullied by the neighbours grandkids & great grandkids. Neither of my children is over the age of 12 yet I've had to deal with 17 & 18 year old kids targeting them. So you can understand why i would consider my neighbour & her spawn as scum.

I take people as i find them, i try no to prejudge or assume as i grew up having that done to me. When i first met the neighbours introduced ourselves & it just went downhill pretty much from day one. You just can't reason with 'entitlement.' They think they can do as they please & successive governments have thrown money at them. Despite all this i like where i live, however if i ever get covid I'll be coughing over the garden fence.

I'm not tarring all with the one brush as i grew up in a notorious part of Dublin. The tenants I'm referring to in my post are the ones i refer to (and their extended families). I can't sell as my kids are in the autism spectrum & have settled despite everything. This is part of the reason tbey were bullied by the neighbours grandkids & great grandkids. Neither of my children is over the age of 12 yet I've had to deal with 17 & 18 year old kids targeting them. So you can understand why i would consider my neighbour & her spawn as scum.

I take people as i find them, i try no to prejudge or assume as i grew up having that done to me. When i first met the neighbours introduced ourselves & it just went downhill pretty much from day one. You just can't reason with 'entitlement.' They think they can do as they please & successive governments have thrown money at them. Despite all this i like where i live, however if i ever get covid I'll be coughing over the garden fence.

And yet, you say the OP should 'run a country mile' from living beside social housing.
    So, you do have prejudice and lots of it.

its amazing how many people posting on this thread have managed to hold down jobs long enough to save a deposit, qualify for a mortgage and buy own homes having originally come from social housing themselves.

If they followed the stereotypes thrown around here they should be sitting in their waster parents' garden drinking cans and letting their kids run feral while they claiming the dole and waiting for the council to house them.

bubblypop wrote: »
    And yet, you say the OP should 'run a country mile' from living beside social housing.
    So, you do have prejudice and lots of it.

Nope, and if you actually bothered to properly read my post would you blame me if i did?

Nope, and if you actually bothered to properly read my post would you blame me if i did?

I did read them, which is how I came to that conclusion.

bubblypop wrote: »
    I did read them, which is how I came to that conclusion.

If you read it then answer my question, would you blame me?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Please explain. Thank you .
    Drugs. Their use, sale, and non-payment of drug debt.

its amazing how many people posting on this thread have managed to hold down jobs long enough to save a deposit, qualify for a mortgage and buy own homes having originally come from social housing themselves.

It's not that amazing, but thank you, nonetheless. It's appreciated :)

EDIT: I'm just realising i'm likely excluded from your post, as I haven't got my own home just yet, but still working on it. :o

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Drugs. Their use, sale, and non-payment of drug debt.

That is very far fetched. Choice and care come into it so blaming social tenants is way off track.

So you think it's OK that a 55 year old (widowed, children have left home, and now earning a decent wage) should be left to rattle around in a 3brm home, (even though a suitable 1brm unit is available in the area), while a young family who are working for shyte wages are left living in a sh*thole and subsidised to pay private sector rents?

Of course it means that the rich old person has plenty of space to work from home :rolleyes:

But it's not what I pay taxes for.

You pay taxes because that is what the country you choose to live in has as a condition of your residence here. You get, thankfully, no choice as to what use that money is put to. Period.
    That has nothing to do with you!

If you read it then answer my question, would you blame me?

Yes.
    Maybe you don't even see it yourself.
    You told the OP to run a mile from living beside social housing, based on one bad family you know in social housing.
    Even though, you say you grew up in it, that you yourself felt prejudice against you, if that's true then you obviously know lots of decent people that grew up in social housing. But yet you still give advice based on your experience with one bad neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭The Student

You pay taxes because that is what the country you choose to live in has as a condition of your residence here. You get, thankfully, no choice as to what use that money is put to. Period.
    That has nothing to do with you!

No you pay your taxes because you have no choice how they are spent. Our welfare system is flawed and very unfair.

There is little or no consequences for those who simply abuse the system. Going back to the title of the thread of living next door to social housing.

Why do you think the govt want to intersperse social housing with private and not just social estates. It is the system.

A fairer system of social housing rent is that you pay a rent based on the size of the house and the facilities around be it hospital or access to public transport.

This is exactly how it works in private renting.

The majority of social housing tenants are the nicest people you will ever meet. The issue is the minority who are not and the states unwillingness to deal with them effectively.

This is why people don't want social housing next to them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thread has not even vaguely got back on topic despite multiple warnings. Closing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement