Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reports of a military coup in Myanmar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

She torpedoed her own rep to defend the militaries genocide of the Rohingya. She won't find many willing to speak out on her behalf.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

wes wrote: »
    She torpedoed her own rep to defend the militaries genocide of the Rohingya. She won't find many willing to speak out on her behalf.

How will this play out?

My sympathy with the people of the country.
    They never had good governance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

Muslims getting genocided in Kosovo.
    Muslims getting genocided in Myanmar.
    Muslims getting genocided in China.
    Muslims getting genocided in Gaza.

Hmm, it must be everybody else that is the problem...

Thread banned

coinop wrote: »
    Muslims getting genocided in Kosovo.
    Muslims getting genocided in Myanmar.
    Muslims getting genocided in China.
    Muslims getting genocided in Gaza.

Hmm, it must be everybody else that is the problem...

Wtf

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    How will this play out?

The military got away with genocide already. They will probably move onto other minority groups (Christians etc.) next and we will probably see them even target there fellow Buddhists as well. Its just going to get worse for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"An presenter on military-owned Myawaddy TV made the announcement and cited a section of the military-drafted constitution that allows the military to take control in times of national emergency. He said the reason for takeover was in part due to the government’s failure to act on the military’s claims of voter fraud in last November’s election and its failure to postpone the election because of the coronavirus crisis."

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/31/military-coup-myanmar-suu-kyi-464232

Sounds like they're copy-catting Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

I do like how the US are saying they'll take action, if election results and democratic transition aren't followed in Myanmar. Their own track record of similar things is excellent over the past three months, so it certainly isn't hypocritical in any way.
    US president Joe Biden’s press secretary, Jen Psaki, said the US opposed “any attempt to alter the outcome of recent elections or impede Myanmar’s democratic transition, and will take action against those responsible if these steps are not reversed.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Polar101 wrote: »
    I do like how the US are saying they'll take action, if election results and democratic transition aren't followed in Myanmar. Their own track record of similar things is excellent over the past three months, so it certainly isn't hypocritical in any way.
    If it were Trump and Republicans saying it, you'd have a point but please show me where the Democrats and the members of the current US administration have tried to obstruct the transition or have made claims of electoral fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    How will this play out?

I too have sympathy for the ordinary people, how it will play out is straight forward. It will remain a military dictatorship but this time around the Generals won't have to concern themselves with human rights, its current Noble Peace prize winning president has utterly discredited herself in the most appalling way, in essence she's assured the generals can do what they like. There'll be the usual patronising International cries of mock horror, which will most definitely fall on deaf ears.

The president won't be getting too many sanctimonious world leaders calling her for afternoon tea. In essence she's pretty much done irreparable damage.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

If it were Trump and Republicans saying it, you'd have a point but please show me where the Democrats and the members of the current US administration have tried to obstruct the transition or have made claims of electoral fraud?

Thread about Myanmar, discussion is about Trump :P
    You have to love boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A timeline https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40217993.html

– November 8 2015: The NLD wins a sweeping victory in general elections, the first to be held openly held since 1990.
    The military retains significant power under a constitution that also bars Ms Suu Kyi from the presidency, but the position of state counsellor is created for her to lead the government.

– August 25 2017: Insurgents attack military outposts in the western state of Rakhine, killing dozens.
    The military responds with a massive crackdown on the Rohingya Muslim population, who begin fleeing by the hundreds of thousands into Bangladesh.

– December 11 2019: Ms Suu Kyi defends the military in a case at the International Court of Justice in The Hague, denying it had committed genocide.

– November 8 2020: Myanmar holds elections, with the NLD capturing an outright majority in parliament.

– January 29 2021: Myanmar’s election commission rejects the military’s allegations of fraud in the elections, finding no evidence to support the claims.

– February 1 2021: Myanmar military takes control of the country for one year, citing the government’s failure to act against its claims of voter fraud and refusal to postpone the November elections because of the coronavirus crisis.

Her party says Ms Suu Kyi is again placed under house arrest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I am curious as to why the military are removing here, she let them carry out genocide against the rohingya. She was a nice convenient front for them to basically do what they want, the acceptable face of an army state if you will. Now they are just drawing more attention to themselves.

I wouldn't put it past Suu Kyi to have helped orchestrate the whole thing in a pitiful attempt to garner sympathy and get back into the international good books

donfers wrote: »
    I am curious as to why the military are removing here, she let them carry out genocide against the rohingya. She was a nice convenient front for them to basically do what they want, the acceptable face of an army state if you will. Now they are just drawing more attention to themselves.

I wouldn't put it past Suu Kyi to have helped orchestrate the whole thing in a pitiful attempt to garner sympathy and get back into the international good books

Fair question but I suspect more a case tge Military fully realise Suu Kyi completely discredited internationally and thought what have we got to loose, I wonder will Bono be calling her to sympathise? I think not

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Fair question but I suspect more a case tge Military fully realise Suu Kyi completely discredited internationally and thought what have we got to loose, I wonder will Bono be calling her to sympathise? I think not

Bono calls for Aung San Suu Kyi to quit

He was calling for her to resign a few years back. She is completely discredited.

wes wrote: »
    Bono calls for Aung San Suu Kyi to quit

He was calling for her to resign a few years back. She is completely discredited.

In response

https://youtu.be/hEhh-cDkZv8

Bono along with numerous high profile celebs fell over themselves to meet and support this odious individual, no doubt they are feeling a little foolish now.

A little rich and late in the day to have turned on her after her blatant support of breaches in human rights. Sadly, power does appear to corrupt the most alledged saintly of individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Won't bother the likes of Bono a jot, they'll move onto the next PR crusade

Bambi wrote: »
    Won't bother the likes of Bono a jot, they'll move onto the next PR crusade

Yes couldn't agree more albeit their foolish enabling of this individual has essentially gaurenteed there'll be zero international support or interest shown, people of stature will avoid this Coup like plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Sadly it was always going to end this way. Once it turned out that Aung San Suu Kyi was just as nasty as the rest of the Myanmar leadership it was predictable that the military was going to take back power at some point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

China are obviously pulling the strings.
    Biden is bought and paid for through his son Hunter who was given millions by the Bank of China so he will make the usual noises but do nothing. Chinese labour makes China the workshop of the world for Biden's globalist corporatist supporters who engineered the defeat of Trump - releasing the covid virus the BLM movement impeachments and stealing the 2020 election.
    China has access to the Indian Ocean via Burma and the Bay of Bengal. This is a stepping stone to their plan to get their greedy hands on South East Asia which are among the biggest rice producing nations on earth and Singapore which would give them control of global trade routes in their entire hemisphere. China has also been buying up port facilties along the coast of East Africa. They have influence in Afghanistan Pakistan and Iran with whom they share nuclear technology with and supply arms. To the north the Chinese jealously are eyeing oil rich Siberia.
    They have crushed opposition in Hong Kong and tensions are rising over Taiwan.
    North Korea is a cats paw they use to check Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Overheal wrote: »
    "An presenter on military-owned Myawaddy TV made the announcement and cited a section of the military-drafted constitution that allows the military to take control in times of national emergency. He said the reason for takeover was in part due to the government’s failure to act on the military’s claims of voter fraud in last November’s election and its failure to postpone the election because of the coronavirus crisis."

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/31/military-coup-myanmar-suu-kyi-464232

Sounds like they're copy-catting Trump

The Trump that was democratically elected, then left office upon losing the next election? Or is there some other Trump, one who actually launched a military coup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

China are obviously pulling the strings.
    Biden is bought and paid for through his son Hunter who was given millions by the Bank of China so he will make the usual noises but do nothing. Chinese labour makes China the workshop of the world for Biden's globalist corporatist supporters who engineered the defeat of Trump - releasing the covid virus the BLM movement impeachments and stealing the 2020 election.
    China has access to the Indian Ocean via Burma and the Bay of Bengal. This is a stepping stone to their plan to get their greedy hands on South East Asia which are among the biggest rice producing nations on earth and Singapore which would give them control of global trade routes in their entire hemisphere. China has also been buying up port facilties along the coast of East Africa. They have influence in Afghanistan Pakistan and Iran with whom they share nuclear technology with and supply arms. To the north the Chinese jealously are eyeing oil rich Siberia.
    They have crushed opposition in Hong Kong and tensions are rising over Taiwan.
    North Korea is a cats paw they use to check Japan.

obviously? There is a long history of the military being in charge of Myanmar.

obviously? There is a long history of the military being in charge of Myanmar.

Burma are a satelite of China.

Burma are a satelite of China

the burmese military are more of capable of taking things into their own hands without instructions from China. As for the rest of your post...

the burmese military are more of capable of taking things into their own hands without instructions from China. As for the rest of your post...

Look at the noises the west is making. Openly condemning the coup. China are saying no such thing. China wants naval bases on the coast of Burma.

https://www.irrawaddy.com/news/burma/myanmar-chinas-plans-expanded-overseas-network-military-facilities-us-says.html

Look at the noises the west is making. Openly condemning the coup. China are saying no such thing. China wants naval bases on the coast of Burma.

I'm sure they do. that doesn't mean they told the burmese military what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,014 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

She's the Lance Armstrong of international politics that one.

Everyone loved her until they found out she was a c**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

their oil and gas industry predates independence. why launch a coup now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭randd1

Why would they? Myanmar has had a cooling of relations with China.

And with the military in charge now, a secret gas/petrol for new guns/torture techniques exchange run by the CIA is surely in play for the Americans.

Do that and they get what they want, and give a fu*k you to China right on their doorstep as well more influence in South Eats Asia, keeping them in play with the shipping routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

I'd say they are ****ting themselves now that Simon Coveney condemned the military coup in the "strongest possible terms" :-D

Advertisement