Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

There are far too few DC fast charging locations in Cork generally....the Supercharger site in Cork will be swamped.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

yep…

I’ll now consider Cork city to be charging wilderness (again)….

I used Mahon Point twice over 2 days last year and both times it was full… we were only saved from queuing by a car leaving as we arrived..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Well this is a balls. Tesla's USP used to be their own fast, reliable charging network. That's gone now.

All I can say to Tesla owners is if you can't charge because another car is effectively taking up 2 spots because the charging port is on the "wrong" side, then take a picture and get it on social media with the hashtags etc.

Literally had a conversation with the wife earlier about changing my model 3 performance for a model Y. No real point in staying with Tesla now they're opening up their network. Time to look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

From memory, the charger at the end in Mahon has a parking bay on either side, where only the bay on "the left" has the Tesla road markings. If the bay on "the right" could also be marked out for charging rather than general parking, it would help with the issue of non-tesla charging restricting access to two chargers.

I don't know where the best place to make this suggestion is (Tesla or Mahon Point SC?), but if small stuff like this could get done on the ground, it will help us all get through our day without aggro.

yeah, I noticed that yesterday looking through the photos on PlugShare…
    it’s the same in Athenry where a space at the end of each row of chargers that’s not pained can be used by a car with charge port on the ‘wrong side’

I’d highly doubt though that Mahon point (or the hotel in Athenry) would concede another space to Tesla.. so it’s just a case of hopefully common sense prevailing and someone in a VE parking in that space if it’s available when they arrive, and in fairness we have a few examples up thread of people doing that in Athenry….. so hopefully it becomes a thing…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

I'm thrilled about Cork!

That will be the biggest hub in Cork now.

I've nothing but misfortune when I try to charge in Cork city. Taxis & dpd hog the frankfield all the time.

I've changed my charging stops on Dublin trips to avoid Ballacolla now as only 2 chargers there.

I've even had to ask Tesla driver to move from ecars when they sat at the ecars after they finishing charging on ecars.

I hope they open up Ballacolla

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Sorry to rain on your parade, but do you think that a taxi driver won't bother with a cheaper, faster and available charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

Of course they will but at least it's 4 charger together

meanwhile in Cork…

1 stall occupied so only 2 available stalls for Tesla’s

S

H

I

T

S

H

O

W

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Amazing what 2 meters extra of cable would solve..

• Advertisement

Yes, the V4 upgrades can't come quick enough to end this maddness…..

Though I fear V3 sites will be slightly lower down the priority list than V2 sites for upgrades…

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭wassie

I dont get if the plan all along was to open up, why would they build in these configurations, and not place the units at 90 degrees to the rear of bays, like at Castlebellingham. ESB kind of logic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Get it on social media with tags and hashtags. I knew this shīt would happen. Absolute lunacy opening up one of the busiest chargers in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The plan in the beginning was to build a network so Teslas could travel long distances… Clearly Tesla feel the other Charge point providers have a wide enough network that there is no loger a need to keep them exclusive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Maybe a ood question but If your heading out the M4 from Dublin, do you need to pay the tolls twice if you stop at the tesla chargers at Enfield?

You pay tolls as you pass through the toll gate. However many number of times. Your route to a location and back would dictate how many times you go through a toll gate.

no, so long as you pass through again in the same direction within 3 hours of first going through.

if you have a toll tag, it will beep on both occasions, but your provider should only bill you for 1 journey (as long as that 2nd beep was within 3 hours of the first).

if you are paying by cash, be sure to get a receipt when first going through the toll, and then provide it to the operator* when going through the 2nd time.

*not sure how often there's an operator manning that slip road booth back onto the M4, so a toll tag and theres no issues.

when heading westbound on the M4, you go through the toll and then exit for the Supercharger.. but when you get back onto the M4 westbound, you have a little toll both you need to pass, so in a sense you can be double charged for a single journey on the carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭wassie

*not sure how often there's an operator manning that slip road booth back onto the M4, so a toll tag and theres no issues.

I go through a few times a week - never seen the booths manned there. You have to call the operator at the booth. They only have one lane open on both booths so its frustrating getting stuck behind someone having do that.

Drogheda M1 booths off the Slane/Navan Road are also always unmanned, but at least they have both sides open (most of the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I wasn't aware of the 3 hour rule. Is this for all cars or just EVs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,026 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Don't know, I guess it could be identified through the toll tag account. Anyway that's good to know, thanks for clarifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,026 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I think in the early days of EVs, they issued special tags for EVs so that they could avail of free tolling.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It wasn't a special tag, your tag ID was just registered under the toll discount scheme and a refund would apply after each toll event. Some operators would apply the refund immediately others would give the refund a month later in a batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Not really the early days, it only stopped 4months ago 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

And sadly, never free.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭eltoastero

Non-Tesla driver here: am I right in saying this plays havoc with the "waiting time" information available when you select a supercharger on screen?

I'm all for opening up the supercharger network (having used it before when renting model 3s) but the layout needs to change (charger in the middle of the parking space, on either axis, with a longer cable and we can all go back to being friends)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Forget about longer cable, up to V3 the short cable is integral to the design of cooling the cable given the high charge rates. I'd say we are as is for all V2 and V3 and only when they are being eventually replaced with V4 will the cable length be sorted, and that could be a long time!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

I'd assume an extra 1500mm is fairly negligible cooling issues.

Any stats around that ?

Realistically speaking this was an esthetic choice related to the side of the charger and how it would look when not in use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've no stats but widely known Tesla have liquid cooled cables that need to be short so not for aesthetics, believe they released the patents on it too a while back. If you have a Tesla you have to park it almost perfect to allow cable to reach charge port

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement