Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

You're completely out in your understanding of how tax brackets work, that's the problem.

A proposed taxation of x% above €100,000 makes zero difference to someone who gets paid exactly €100,000. Whatever way you try and spin it, it demonstrates your total lack of understanding of the topic when you pick someone earning exactly €100,000 to demonstrate the impact of a tax rate which only kicks in on earnings above €100,000. To make it very clear; the Managing Director in your example earning €100,000 will take home ~€62,000. If SF create a 3rd tax bracket of 46% at €100,000, the Managing Director in your example will take home the exact same ~€62,000. If SF created a 3rd tax bracket of 80% at €100,000, the managing director in your example will STILL take home the exact same ~€62,000.

Most of the people I know earning that sort of money lean much harder on the experience and expertise side of things than the responsibility side. Most have zero management responsibilities whatsoever. I know multiple people who earn significantly less than I do who have more experience, expertise and responsibility but in a field that doesn't compensate as well as my own. You're caught up in the BS American mentality that hard work and income are directly and solely correlated.

My mathematical, 'predictions' aren't predictions at all, they're basic calculations of take home pay at our current taxation rates versus take home pay at the 46% rate that YOU hypothesised. I applied a 6% tax increase on income above €100,000 because that was the hypothetical increase you proposed for your moan. If you can't follow that, perhaps you're not quite the expert on the topic you seem to think you are?

To be clear, I think the SF policy is b*llocks and I'll drag a rusty razor blade across my balls before I'll vote for them, but at least make sure you understand the thing before you try and criticise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,283 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

🧐

Ssssssteady….!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

A public servant on 100k would probably take home around 56k due to the effects of the extra superannuation charges paid by public servants, so a private sector employee would take home around 60-65k. Too little for the amount of effort involved, especially as neither qualify for medical cards and subsidised housing.

Great to see both of the sectarian parties losing votes since the last election. The rise of the Alliance continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Still so quite here since SF erased all their records.

I would say bizzare but it’s not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

My excitement in the uptick for APNI is somewhat tempered by the uptick in support for TUV.

Agreed, the rise of the TUV is concerning. Nevertheless, any signs of unhappiness and loss of support for the two big parties can only be good for the future of Northern Ireland.

Bit of light humour considering the day that is in it.

Sinn Fein attempting to gerrymander the SDLP out of a seat. Typical stuff from them, proclaim against gerrymandering while fully indulging in it for their own interest.

I see the SDLP are making an election issue out of the corrupt jobs for the boys approach of Sinn Fein in the North.

Sinn Fein caught again deleting past political statements.

This time, they were exposed on the issue of gerrymandering. Seemingly against it when the DUP do it, but now for it, when they can get away with it themselves.

Pure hypocrisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Paul Donnelly certainly has one of the best and brightest working as his parliamentary assistant.

Edit:

He’s also doubling down on it and throwing abuse at anyone on Twitter who points out just how mangled his numbers are.

Just in case where anyone was wondering the shinnerbots take their cues from

Meanwhile, a thread on twitter depicting life in the last years of the USSR, a system SF thinks ideal despite wiping its love of it from their history books in case it gets scrutinised

https://twitter.com/zoyashef/status/1511165447940747267?t=OnBb6dcRHtcshn4lrxYvCQ&s=19

As opposed to present utopia system of ffg rule?

How many people will reach criteria to qualify as homeless,in any normal country, in this years cencus

The level of diaster to youth they are imposing upon the population here,is about to be laid clear for all to see

Given the population density of the 6 counties vs republic....would surely place shinners by a large margin,as the biggest supported party on ireland??

The lad tried to double down on it as well. In fairness at least he has planted his mug on his profile. Would be keeping him away from any role involving basic maths though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭blackwhite

With approx 31% of the combined population - not the 60% that the taxpayer-funded SF advisor is claiming (and throwing abuse at anyone for pointing it out)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Someone should tell him to do a poll in each province - they could probably break 100%

She doesn't mention the collective farms,you'd like them too I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭piplip87

I often pop in here for a quick pop shot at Marylou or Pearse.

Today in the Dail Marylou gave a wonderful speech in response to president Zelenski.

Now if only they could get their supporters in line with the refugees as most of the comments giving out about us accepting them are from SF supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Mary L did not do too well with her bit in the Dail this morning. The amount of shuffling that could be seen from the rest of the Sf bench as she read her Belfast prepared script told its own story. Clearly, there are Sf TDs that would like to come out far more in total contamination of Russia. Alas, like the Duma, looks like Sf people are not allowed to say their piece unless it's ok'd by the people in Belfast.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Here is Martin v McDonald exchange wonderfully written by Miriam Lord. To me it does encapsulate SF’s problem.

They want the young vote. But want to tone down the Republican green in ‘the 26’. But want to play up their ‘Green’ environmental credentials to get some of that vote. But the only problem is this costs money. It could alienate SF’s traditional working class base.

A Green tax would not just be answered by taxing ‘the rich’ that the likes of PBP refer to as some get out clause.

SF used to do the same but need the middle class on board to get votes. So SF’s answer is yeah we are environmentally ‘Green’. But not yet. Like what SF claim the Unionists do ‘Kicking the can down the road’.

The Irony is not lost on me that SF are doing exactly the same thing with environmental issues. The question is will the more savvy in the electorate see through it, or support it?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Hilarious, at least he wasn't an adviser to Pearse. That would have explained Pearse's brilliant grasp of numbers though.

Wonder if he posts on here, heard similar mathematical nonsense from a few of the chosen.

The ghost of Bobby Storey really hangs over Sinn Fein.

More of the "do what I say" on Covid protection rather than "do what I do" from Mary-Lou.

"Mary Lou McDonald attended an indoor Sinn Féin election rally maskless just days before advising that people on public transport and in enclosed areas “for any period of time” should wear a mask."

Or are we back to one rule for the North and a different one for the South. A party of partitionists.

Surely anyone can see the way ffg are pushing carbon taxes onto population is simply designed to be a flat rate and harm.the poorest the most (IE those they preceive least likely to vote)

So we now have the spectre of the poorest shelling out carbon taxes,to fund retrofitting of the homes of wealthy,quite how,or why this is deemed acceptable/progressive is beyond me....green idology in this state has failed on several fronts,unable to tax industry or airlines (dublin holds lease for massive % of aircrafts)....

it has,as always, fallen upon ordinary folks,to carry the can for the failure of liberials....from banks to now climate change,anything other than solving issue,nothing ever changes here

Keep attaching Sinn Fein to the anti-green agenda. Write off the young vote. More of it, please.

Can see carbon taxes and the future of the next generations being a big topic at the next election. SF don't look good on those issues now.

Except i havnt an anti-green agenda.....its failed here due to poor leadership and a deliberate policy of targeting poorest,while actively working to leave them behind

A movement that leaves entire sections of a community behind,is by definition exelplified of poor leadership and destained to failure....

why not face down corporate interests and raise corp tax on airlines to 48%+??.....nah liberials will simply let pensioners and single mothers choose between eating or heating their home and label it progress,while using their carbon tax to retrofit homes of the rich

Congrats guys,quality movement👏👏👏👏

So given that SF share your ideology and viewpoint how would you as SF solve the Green issue? It all well and good blaming others. But you know and I know in other to get the youth vote SF will have to eventually grasp the nettle and come up with some valid proposal. Even though it would mean SF being less dogmatic ideologically.

SF changed on going into the Dail, changed on the EU. Changed on Russia. Changed on the SCC. In order for SF to become a more middle ground party. And get the votes to lead in government. They will have to change tact on the environment IMO. So I ask again how can SF achieve that change? In your opinion.

Sf dont share my idology on many subjects?.

Any green proposal,that focuses on population efforts and zero curbs on industry is doomed to failure ,telling lads that few sucklers in west that do be keeping their house warm with turf is worse and more deserving of tackling than likes of lufthansa amd their 11,000 empthy flights throughout the pandemic....is the political equilivalent of shouting at crows,while pigs have broken in and are eating the potatoes

Utter liberial,green-washing,naive nonsense...which deosnt tackle the fundamental issue is kinda a microsm of all things wrong with liberialism and its determination to drive wealth inequality .....any change/cuts/tax should come from top down,difficult to justify people going cold in their homes,while industry and wealth taxes arent allowed imo

You didn't answer the question and just went on another rant to yourself. Which seems to be your style. You never seem to say what SF can do or could do to change. Compromise. That is how parties get elected in the Dail and lead. Only rant about and blame everyone except SF.

It is clear to me that the environment is going to be a key issue for all parties. Because it is what many of the youth are keyed into. So in order to become more mainstream SF will have to come up with a plan. Or at least slightly change. They have done so on other issues I already listed to make the party more mainstream and electable. A slow normalisation of the party I would call it.

If SF plan to go into Senior Hurling. Lead in the Dail they require more change to be palatable to potential coalition partners. At the moment SF are following the FF 1930's manifesto promising the sun the moon and the stars. A slightly constitutional party 2.0.

• Advertisement

Little secret,im.not a member of sf,for reasons outlined previously

There is no reason to compromise,its stupid compromises for liberials,what has the country in state it is (see green party and what its platform has been reduced to)....

likelyhood the next government wont be formed without sf (expected circa 65 seats)so ergo no need to compromise.

any change/cuts/tax should come from top down,

And there in lies the difference needed,no point in asking people,who need to choose between heating & eating to pay extra....while we have no wealth taxes and an aviation industry paying zero...deosnt seem fair to me,much better to leave country in flux,or with "unstable coalitions" (always makes lol) than compromise on this imo

Must check the ff 1930 manifesto on NI protocol,mental healthcare etc,such lazy irish times style anyslis and nonsemse thrown out,its hilarious to think theres actual adults whom swallow it unquestioned

Advertisement