Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing a classic from NI now

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

kadman wrote: »
    Poster clearly says he paid customs duty.
    If it was vat, then he got a Stormforce cover for 50 euros, normally 200.:D

he actually just says customs, and doesn't mention VAT at all .I can't see how he'd pay Excise Duty but not VAT.

he also said "He said he's stick a different value on the package for me"

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It's probably the admin charge of clearing it. This applies even if there was zero import duty and just VAT to be paid.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Isambard wrote: »
    he actually just says customs, and doesn't mention VAT at all .I can't see how he'd pay Excise Duty but not VAT.

he also said "He said he's stick a different value on the package for me"

There is only 1 reason to put a lower price on a declaration, and its to lower customs due on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

What about a NI built 1980s car. Bringing that in from England. What will that be subject to?

I also buy parts for my classics from the owners clubs in the UK. How the heck do you prove your kingpin set etc is British made? I reckon a lot of the NOS stuff is British built.

I did wonder what the situation would be for one of them :-) maybe someone buying one will keep us posted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

I'd be prepared to bet they paid VAT not Import Duty (I wouldn't bet very much though)

The cover was likely manufactured outside of the U.K. hence duty is liable, if it was English made then no duty will apply

Casati wrote: »
    The cover was likely manufactured outside of the U.K. hence duty is liable, if it was English made then no duty will apply

and VAT? what of that.

I think that as it is still an unknown quantity many would be wary of an expensive purchase of
    any item from the UK, just in case the vatman pounces at the doorstep.

I remember this happening to me many years ago with a doorstep tarrif on an item I purchased from the US.

When i saw the bill, 50% of purchase price, I was hoping grab team C would put me on a rendition flight to the US
    for my own safety.

Er indoors was not amused:eek::eek:
    She has quietened down a lot since then:D:D

I'm not ordering anything from the UK. If a parcel gets routed that way by the seller or courier, and a tax bill arrives with it, I intend to reject it and claim a refund.

I'm not ordering anything from the UK. If a parcel gets routed that way by the seller or courier, and a tax bill arrives with it, I intend to reject it and claim a refund.

I think thats going to be the order of the day for a lot of purchases. I dont know where to get the proper info either.

I know from previous experience looking for similar info for purchases from countries out side the EU, that it was a head wrecking experience. I ended up throwing in the towel and keeping my purchases within the EU.

Maybe that was the purpose all along now that I think of it, mmmhh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

the only problem with that is ,as the UK areoutside the EU now,they are not obliged to give you a refund,

I think thats going to be the order of the day for a lot of purchases. I dont know where to get the proper info either.

I know from previous experience looking for similar info for purchases from countries out side the EU, that it was a head wrecking experience. I ended up throwing in the towel and keeping my purchases within the EU.

Maybe that was the purpose all along now that I think of it, mmmhh.

one problem i've seen, you have to be so careful when ordering to make sure it's not a UK site pretending to be Irish. B&Q for instance re-directs you from a .ie site to a .co.uk one. Ebay have customs charges all added on on many of the items available.

one problem i've seen, you have to be so careful when ordering to make sure it's not a UK site pretending to be Irish. B&Q for instance re-directs you from a .ie site to a .co.uk one. Ebay have customs charges all added on on many of the items available.

I have seen that many times. Lots and lots of dot.ie sites are actually located in England. The fact that they quote prices in euros leads you to believe that you are buying from a legitimate irish site, and actually you are buying UK goods that may or may not attract customs duties.

Like i said earlier the fact that what items are customs due or not is the scary bit. All my own car related purchases in the last few weeks are all Germany based, Netherlands,Belgium ect.

I am actually very wary of UK car part purchases at the moment, let alone a car.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

I have seen that many times. Lots and lots of dot.ie sites are actually located in England. The fact that they quote prices in euros leads you to believe that you are buying from a legitimate irish site, and actually you are buying UK goods that may or may not attract customs duties.

Like i said earlier the fact that what items are customs due or not is the scary bit. All my own car related purchases in the last few weeks are all Germany based, Netherlands,Belgium ect.

I am actually very wary of UK car part purchases at the moment, let alone a car.:D
    JUst to let you know there is a backlog of Uk mail in a warehouse in west Dublin awaiting custom checks.I should know,Its funny when i started working in An Post willfully delaying the mail was a sackable offence,seems customs doing such is no problem.I would avoid buying anthing in uk at moment,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

and VAT? what of that.

Should be exported free of U.K. vat but with Irish vat applied

turbocab wrote: »
    JUst to let you know there is a backlog of Uk mail in a warehouse in west Dublin awaiting custom checks.I should know,Its funny when i started working in An Post willfully delaying the mail was a sackable offence,seems customs doing such is no problem.I would avoid buying anthing in uk at moment,

Sounds like an avalanche of potential customs duties charges going to be foisted on unsuspecting folks then.

Advertisement