Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Symptoms

  • 22-01-2021 8:16am
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭ Dressoutlet


    Not sure where this should go so please move if appropriate Mods.

    Anyone that lost their taste, was it a gradual thing, did you lose it overnight or did you notice it fading throughout a period of time.
    My friend is a close contact and has no smell today and taste is fading.


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭ raind


    Not sure where this should go so please move if appropriate Mods.

    Anyone that lost their taste, was it a gradual thing, did you lose it overnight or did you notice it fading throughout a period of time.
    My friend is a close contact and has no smell today and taste is fading.

    Given they are a close contact, there is a very strong chance it is covid. Should call the GP and will be tested today


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭ Dressoutlet


    raind wrote: »
    Given they are a close contact, there is a very strong chance it is covid. Should call the GP and will be tested today

    Just waiting for the GP to open.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 thegills


    Does your friend not need to have tested positive before you are deemed a close contact?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭ Dressoutlet


    thegills wrote: »
    Does your friend not need to have tested positive before you are deemed a close contact?

    Of course but I'm not sick or looking for a test even. I just want to get the shop for gas and get the milk in for the kids bottles before I'm put into isolation for 2 weeks.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭ Cerveza


    I would do online shopping as you clearly have it and should get tested op.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    Not sure where this should go so please move if appropriate Mods.

    Anyone that lost their taste, was it a gradual thing, did you lose it overnight or did you notice it fading throughout a period of time.
    My friend is a close contact and has no smell today and taste is fading.

    One person I know said they didn't lose their taste and smell until about a week or more after getting it. Its most infectiousness at the start. You may also not lose your taste, or indeed get any symptoms.

    Get someone else to go to the shops for you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭ leffesem


    Get your ducks in a row first OP, and get your gas and provisions.. Hand sanitizer, face masks, and social distancing will stop any possible spread from yourself... Whatever symptoms you have, or don't have, or close contacts etc; well, at the time you didn't know cos you say you didn't know, and that's the way it'll be... Ring your doctor later - first things first.. You'll probably die from starvation before c19.

    Not everyone 'shops online' , and OP presumably wants his milk as far away from the use by date as possible... Gas and milk? - Do local convenience stores have order online facilities..? That's where most people, I presume, get their gas and milk..

    "there aint no forgettin" - the outlaw Josey Wales



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭ Cerveza


    leffesem wrote: »
    Get your ducks in a row first OP, and get your gas and provisions.. Hand sanitizer, face masks, and social distancing will stop any possible spread from yourself... Whatever symptoms you have, or don't have, or close contacts etc; well, at the time you didn't know cos you say you didn't know, and that's the way it'll be... Ring your doctor later - first things first.. You'll probably die from starvation before c19.

    Not everyone 'shops online' , and OP presumably wants his milk as far away from the use by date as possible... Gas and milk? - Do local convenience stores have order online facilities..? That's where most people, I presume, get their gas and milk..

    Is it any wonder we are in the state we are in when you are telling the op to go out shopping and they probably Covid positive.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭ Dressoutlet


    Cerveza wrote: »
    I would do online shopping as you clearly have it and should get tested op.

    I'm not a close contact I don't have any symptoms. My friend is a contact from work and has symptoms so I could potentially be a close contact if she is positive.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    leffesem wrote: »
    ...Gas and milk? - Do local convenience stores have order online facilities..? That's where most people, I presume, get their gas and milk..

    Petrol stations also...


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭ Dressoutlet


    Cerveza wrote: »
    Is it any wonder we are in the state we are in when you are telling the op to go out shopping and they probably Covid positive.

    I'm not even a contact and have no symptoms for god sake I'm the same as anyone else who could potentially be told they're a contact in a few days ffs


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    I'm not a close contact I don't have any symptoms. My friend is a contact from work and has symptoms so I could potentially be a close contact if she is positive.

    I know people who've worked in the same room with people who have got it, not been deemed a close contact and not got it. Likewise in families.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    I'm not even a contact and have no symptoms for god sake I'm the same as anyone else who could potentially be told they're a contact in a few days ffs

    The point is, if you think you might be at risk, limit your contacts. Going to the shops isn't doing this. Its the opposite of that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭ Fuzzyduzzy


    My wife and son had it a few months ago, didn't show and symptoms. I had a common cold a month later and thought that was a lot worse!! I know this is not always the case though and know people who really struggled with it


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭ Dressoutlet


    beauf wrote: »
    I know people who've worked in the same room with people who have got it, not been deemed a close contact and not got it. Likewise in families.

    She's getting a test today so when she gets her result she will tell me, I assume her result will be Sunday? So I'll get my stuff in today and stay in then until she tells me her results. I have rang the HSE and they told me until she gets her results I can carry on as normal.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    The other think is this a open forum. People will speculate, read into things that aren't there. Don't get annoyed by it. That's just how it works.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭ Grahamer72


    Cerveza wrote: »
    Is it any wonder we are in the state we are in when you are telling the op to go out shopping and they probably Covid positive.

    Exactly. Idiotic post.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭ leffesem


    beauf wrote: »
    Petrol stations also...

    That's what I meant.. Local convenience stores = petrol stations.. The local shop that sells gas cans, and the like... Am doubting they have online ordering facilities.

    "there aint no forgettin" - the outlaw Josey Wales



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭ Dressoutlet


    beauf wrote: »
    The point is, if you think you might be at risk, limit your contacts. Going to the shops isn't doing this. Its the opposite of that.

    The HSE have said its fine to carry on as normal. I can go get gas and milk or would I be able to let my 4 kids freeze and 2 Infants scream for milk and then be told my friends negative??


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭ Cerveza


    Grahamer72 wrote: »
    Exactly. Idiotic post.

    Sure telling the op to go shopping is much better advice :rolleyes:


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭ Grahamer72


    Cerveza wrote: »
    Sure telling the op to go shopping is much better advice :rolleyes:

    I was referring to the advice to the OP. Not your post.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    She's getting a test today so when she gets her result she will tell me, I assume her result will be Sunday? So I'll get my stuff in today and stay in then until she tells me her results. I have rang the HSE and they told me until she gets her results I can carry on as normal.

    The HSE no longer have the resources to test anyone with no symptoms. Its not that that don't need to be tested, is that they don't have the resource's to do it. Though they seem to know the situations mostly likely to be infections. If you are in the same room, with lots of airflow, and barriers and masts, and sitting far apart, you are probably ok.

    If you are in the middle of nowhere with no support. You have no choice but to stock up and batten down the hatches. If it were me I'd make the choice to go early when there is no one there, or a remote shop that isn't busy, and just be super particular about masks and touching stuff.

    I'd do this even if I know I didn't have it. Last lock-down, I knew no one who got it. This time, I've heard of at least 10 or more.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭ Dressoutlet


    Cerveza wrote: »
    Sure telling the op to go shopping is much better advice :rolleyes:

    Sorry but you are probably Covid positive so you shouldn't leave the house if that's the case. We're all potentially covid positive. I have no symptoms and I was on a walk with my friend yesterday and she got the call to say she was a close contact from a work colleague she was with on Monday, she immediately left and went to isolate. This morning she told me she had symptoms. I don't know why you think I'm positive when I'm not even a contact. And it's not even 24 hours since I was with her I would hardly be contagious and she could still be negative! I'm not a contact at this point so much as you're not either. Unless your alone 24/7 and haven't left the house for months you are just as much a possibility as I am. Ridiculous carry on. And the HSE said I can carry on as normal. No restricted movements even


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    leffesem wrote: »
    That's what I meant.. Local convenience stores = petrol stations.. The local shop that sells gas cans, and the like... Am doubting they have online ordering facilities.

    I'm just reminding people sometimes you can pick up the basics in a petrol station where staff are behind screens and the shop is quieter. So less contact. As opposed to a supermarket which will have lots of people in a small space.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭ Dressoutlet


    beauf wrote: »
    The HSE no longer have the resources to test anyone with no symptoms. Its not that that don't need to be tested, is that they don't have the resource's to do it. Though they seem to know the situations mostly likely to be infections. If you are in the same room, with lots of airflow, and barriers and masts, and sitting far apart, you are probably ok.

    If you are in the middle of nowhere with no support. You have no choice but to stock up and batten down the hatches. If it were me I'd make the choice to go early when there is no one there, or a remote shop that isn't busy, and just be super particular about masks and touching stuff.

    I'd do this even if I know I didn't have it. Last lock-down, I knew no one who got it. This time, I've heard of at least 10 or more.

    But the HSE haven't even told me I'm a contact. They've told me I. Fine to carry on as normal until she has a result. That said, all I'm doing is going to my local shop to stock up before I lock myself away for 2 weeks. Not going to my nanny's for tea, not that I could because she died of covid last year and I myself am high risk as is one of my children so we're hardly going to be careless but as of now I'm the same as any other person who is not a contact and has no symptoms


  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ Jane1012


    I think people are possibly getting confused. His friend is the one showing symptoms (not him) but his friend has not yet tested positive. Also OP by the contact tracer guidelines you are only a close contact if you have been in contact 48 hours before they started showing symptoms, not sure when you last saw them?

    Put it this way, if you had to go in to work today I don’t think your employer would accept, I was in contact with someone who was in contact with someone who has covid and is now getting a test.

    None the less, the responsible thing to do is limit your contacts (as we all should be doing anyway) and only leave the house for essential reasons - getting milk and petrol would be essential. Just make sure you wear a mask, distance and sanitise.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    Sorry but you are probably Covid positive so you shouldn't leave the house if that's the case. We're all potentially covid positive. I have no symptoms and I was on a walk with my friend yesterday and she got the call to say she was a close contact from a work colleague she was with on Monday, she immediately left and went to isolate. This morning she told me she had symptoms. I don't know why you think I'm positive when I'm not even a contact. And it's not even 24 hours since I was with her I would hardly be contagious and she could still be negative! I'm not a contact at this point so much as you're not either. Unless your alone 24/7 and haven't left the house for months you are just as much a possibility as I am. Ridiculous carry on. And the HSE said I can carry on as normal. No restricted movements even

    I'm not sure what was the point if the thread is you don't want all view points.

    Anything with lots of airflow, especially outside, is less risky.

    But consider if someone is smoking and you walk behind them, you will smell it. Which means you are breathing their air. That said the droplets probably don't spread as far as smell does.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭ Dressoutlet


    beauf wrote: »
    I'm not sure what was the point if the thread is you don't want all view points.

    Anything with lots of airflow, especially outside, is less risky.

    But consider if someone is smoking and you walk behind them, you will smell it. Which means you are breathing their are. That said the droplets probably don't spread as far as smell does.

    The thread was actually just asking if people who lost there taste lost it gradually. That's literally the only thing I asked.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    The thread was actually just asking if people who lost there taste lost it gradually. That's literally the only thing I asked.

    Well you know how forums are. They'll be asking you about bats and all sorts.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭ Dressoutlet


    Jane1012 wrote: »
    I think people are possibly getting confused. His friend is the one showing symptoms (not him) but his friend has not yet tested positive. Also OP by the contact tracer guidelines you are only a close contact if you have been in contact 48 hours before they started showing symptoms, not sure when you last saw them?

    Put it this way, if you had to go in to work today I don’t think your employer would accept, I was in contact with someone who was in contact with someone who has covid and is now getting a test.

    None the less, the responsible thing to do is limit your contacts (as we all should be doing anyway) and only leave the house for essential reasons - getting milk and petrol would be essential. Just make sure you wear a mask, distance and sanitise.

    If she's positive I would be a contact I'm sure of that. But yes you are right being a contact of a contact is not a risk until they're positive. When I say gas I mean so I can have heating and cook in my house which I deem essential. As I said the HSE said until she tests positive I'm not to worry. But I will not leave again once I come back from getting essential items today.


Advertisement