Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Had a heifer calf at around 18 -20 months I think. Reared calf and went on to produce a total of 14, only sold her as she has horns and was a liable to get caught in some of the feeding barriers with them.i was working in another county at the time. Came into milk too.1st to calf every year. She was never the tallest cow but kept producing
    Your not tempted to keep them together?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Dozer1

nope no interest, I've too many calved/to calved as it is, need to reduce numbers a bit so this one would be a headache. Her Dam had bad feet aswell so wouldn't be one for keeping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

Thats it for the year except for 2 pb's end of June

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Sami23

High bike wrote: »
    Thats it for the year except for 2 pb's end of June

Nice to get to end of it alright.

I'd be finished here myself only for 1 cow that slipped from calving in April last year to only being due end of June this year :(
    Vet checked her and couldn't find any reason for it. She was running with Bull.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Dozer1 wrote: »
    fine sized calf no way butty

If it's an average type CH calf I think you're under valuing him at €200 tbh. Granted he's out of a heifer as opposed to a mature cow but I'd reckon he's worth nearer to €300. I don't think you'd be robbing anyone at that price and he'd cover the price of the section. Best of luck with the other 2 and hopefully you'll have more successful outcomes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭squinn2912

If it's an average type CH calf I think you're under valuing him at €200 tbh. Granted he's out of a heifer as opposed to a mature cow but I'd reckon he's worth nearer to €300. I don't think you'd be robbing anyone at that price and he'd cover the price of the section. Best of luck with the other 2 and hopefully you'll have more successful outcomes.

Absolutely fully agree. God he should be worth the price of the section no bother

Selling to a friend so I think if I cover the cost of section I'd be happy, other 2 will be definite sections, still a few weeks before I'm out of it

Edit added pic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

I saw 21-25 day old AA heifers selling for 240-270 last week in a mart.

That’s a great calf he’s a rob at 200 I wouldn’t give him away in a fit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Base price

tanko wrote: »
    I saw 21-25 day old AA heifers selling for 240-270 last week in a mart.
    Proper aax heifer calves are worth it.

IMO there are too many easy calving AI/poor quality angus/cross bred angus mop up bulls been used in some dairy herds in order to produce a black calf and it has led to buyer's dismissing them which is unfortunate for the breed. Hereford's haven't quite met the same fate as yet but are heading down that road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Would you think about seeking them as a unit?

Base price wrote: »
    Proper aax heifer calves are worth it.

IMO there are too many easy calving AI/poor quality angus/cross bred angus mop up bulls been used in some dairy herds in order to produce a black calf and it has led to buyer's dismissing them which is unfortunate for the breed. Hereford's haven't quite met the same fate as yet but are heading down that road.

The HEX are a good suckler cow, docile and good milk/beef mix.

Got U grade bullocks out of them last year.

AAX produce hardier calves though, can put up with the weather and often calves don't have horns.

The HEX are a good suckler cow, docile and good milk/beef mix.

Got U grade bullocks out of them last year.

AAX produce hardier calves though, can put up with the weather and often calves don't have horns.
    I have no particular preference for one breed over the other as suckler cows but I find that AAx cow's teats get awfully big as they get older and can be difficult for a calf to latch onto. I haven't as yet had the same problem with HEx cows.

I have no particular preference for one breed over the other as suckler cows but I find that AAx cow's teats get awfully big as they get older and can be difficult for a calf to latch onto. I haven't as yet had the same problem with HEx cows.

I see that sometimes alright, the cows would be well on by then.

I keep them on bare enough ground before calving and I think it helps.

No interest in selling as a pair she's already struggling to feed him any time she moves he's in for a drop. He's only 4 days old and photo is favourable to him next person has a good bit of risk aswell as I imagine she'd only barely enough colostrum so could be a candidate for scour etc..he'll leave money if he stays right for them and I'll wish em luck

No interest in selling as a pair she's already struggling to feed him any time she moves he's in for a drop. He's only 4 days old and photo is favourable to him next person has a good bit of risk aswell as I imagine she'd only barely enough colostrum so could be a candidate for scour etc..he'll leave money if he stays right for them and I'll wish em luck
    Better off id say those young heifers calving takes an awful lot out of them and they never come good

You’re very decent anyhow I hope that brings you luck too

Selling to a friend so I think if I cover the cost of section I'd be happy, other 2 will be definite sections, still a few weeks before I'm out of it

Edit added pic
    what age is that heifer only asking as I have one here in the same boat

• Registered Users Posts: 29,267 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Young lads cow. Calved September 2019, July 2020 and may 2021

whelan2 wrote: »
    I wish mine were as consistent as your young lads cow. Did she have any heifer calves and if so is he going to keep them to breed on.

• Advertisement

I wish mine were as consistent as your young lads cow. Did she have any heifer calves and if so is he going to keep them to breed on.

He will be selling them both in a couple of weeks. Along with another whitehead. She had a bull last year and he sold the heifer calf from the year before. That's a heifer that she had today

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

Good going to be able to pull the calving date forward like that year on year, the july calving in 2020 is particularly good.

High bike wrote: »
    what age is that heifer only asking as I have one here in the same boat

She's feb last year so 15mths...vet was scanning in December and had to go early swore I'd get him back....paying for it now. She's flying it now to be fair when I see the other 2 sick to calve it'll be section immediately no hope of em calving to the bull.....he went for burgers today

She's feb last year so 15mths...vet was scanning in December and had to go early swore I'd get him back....paying for it now. She's flying it now to be fair when I see the other 2 sick to calve it'll be section immediately no hope of em calving to the bull.....he went for burgers today
    my one will probably be 17 mts calving but not very big so will probably be a section aswell.Dont know if a weanling or the bull got her,good luck with the other 2

This girl has this bald area from a few day old. Any ideas why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Sami23

Have a calf just over a week old with some blood in his dung this morning. Dung is a yellow/white colour. Gave him Bimastat.
    What other treatment should I give him or would be best for it

Sami23 wrote: »
    Have a calf just over a week old with some blood in his dung this morning. Dung is a yellow/white colour. Gave him Bimastat.

Is his dung OK otherwise, has he a temperature?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

tellmeabit wrote: »
    This girl has this bald area from a few day old. Any ideas why?
    scutter

Sami23 wrote: »

That wouldn't be that unusual in a young calf provided there isn't much blood,if he's not very loose and sucking the cow id just keep an eye on him and hopefully will be OK,maybe check for a temp

• Advertisement

Is his dung OK otherwise, has he a temperature?

Haven't managed to time it right to see her pass. No temp. Assume it's poo just is it a sign that she may be sick with it.
    Showing no other signs. A couple of them have scuttery poo alright just trying to identify who has.

Advertisement