Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭High bike

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did vet advise what to do?
    Didn't get mine scanned yet but looking at her wouldn't be surprised if she's incalf just 13 mts now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dozer1

It's too late for aborting really as its outside of licence for the product they use and trying to pass what is inside could turn into a mess.

So advice is feed em well for next 2 months and cut back then for last month. Calve one and if issues induce the other 2 within 2 weeks of calving. It's just another farming "feature" of 2021 so far. I'm dreading if they are incalf to the bull but if it's one of the weanlings bulls it would be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭squinn2912

It’s finally arrived the first calf out of the new Simmental bull. She’d never have calved herself was a lot of effort with the jack until the head came out then grand work. Good calf I think anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

At what ages should heifers and bull wealings be separated?
    With your girl incalf now, that's 7 months is too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Heifer calf born last night wont suck. It was given a stomach tube full of beestings when it failed to suck.

Still wont suck today. Can you stomach tube a second time, without causing harm to the calf, that is within the 24hrs of they being born. Or is there something about the subsequent stomach tube feeding going into the “wrong” stomach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Give 3 feeds by tube if wont drink. Skip the next one as calf is safe enough then and the bit of hunger sorts them then 99% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

As far as i know all milk tubed into a calf goes into the "wrong" stomach.

If the calf won't suck you don't really have much choice only to tube her again or wait and see does hunger do the trick.
    Maybe you could try that injection that stimulates them to suck, can't think of the name of it.
    Has she passed her first dung?

tanko wrote: »
    As far as i know all milk tubed into a calf goes into the "wrong" stomach.

If the calf won't suck you don't really have much choice only to tube her again or wait and see does hunger do the trick.
    Maybe you could try that injection that stimulates them to suck, can't think of the name of it.
    Has she passed her first dung?

I think that was called medrentil or similar sounding name, and not on the market anymore.
    Calf had low temp this morning and improved with 2 Injections from the Vets. Temp back normal around 1.30pm today, gave 1.5 litres with stomach tube. Tried the honey on the tongue, very weak soft suck.
    Yes did pass some dung, and stimulated to pass more.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

tellmeabit wrote: »
    At what ages should heifers and bull wealings be separated?
    With your girl incalf now, that's 7 months is too late.

I don’t know what age a bull calf would be capable of getting a heifer in calf, but had a ch heifer weanling out of a white head cow come bulling at 5 months last year. Would always separate when taking out bull here after 3/4 months. Would also try not to leave any cow not in calf with the bull calves as they wreck themselves after her if she comes bulling.

I think that was called medrentil or similar sounding name, and not on the market anymore.
    Calf had low temp this morning and improved with 2 Injections from the Vets. Temp back normal around 1.30pm today, gave 1.5 litres with stomach tube. Tried the honey on the tongue, very weak soft suck.
    Yes did pass some dung, and stimulated to pass more.

Used a bottle called kick start, something like 40ml into mouth. Has gotten great reac

• Advertisement

Put a jacket over the calf, as it's coat felt cold and it had moved away from the lamp. Not too long after than it perked up, got up and staggered towards where the cow was. Joined them up - still wouldn't drink. Left them together until 7pm, it took two of us the keep the calf in position, but it sucked. I think it has turned a corner, bit stronger this evening and stubborn. Someone should design a contraption that would keep calves pushed up to the udder.

calf wont suck.jpg

Thanks to all of you for the advice

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Used a bottle called kick start, something like 40ml into mouth. Has gotten great reac

Haven't heard of that one, I see it's reasonably priced for 240 ml.

I've found they are bouncing around and mad to suck from it. About 10 mins

Put a jacket over the calf, as it's coat felt cold and it had moved away from the lamp. Not too long after than it perked up, got up and staggered towards where the cow was. Joined them up - still wouldn't drink. Left them together until 7pm, it took two of us the keep the calf in position, but it sucked. I think it has turned a corner, bit stronger this evening and stubborn. Someone should design a contraption that would keep calves pushed up to the udder.

calf wont suck.jpg

Thanks to all of you for the advice

That's good, nice looking calf. some people put the calf across a small bale of hay, i've never tried this, i prefer to make my bad back even worse by keeping them pushed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

tanko wrote: »
    That's good, nice looking calf. some people put the calf across a small bale of hay, i've never tried this, i prefer to make my bad back even worse by keeping them pushed up.

Same as....had one this year that took over an hour to latch on....nearly broke me. Great when it clicks with them though.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Have a calf there Thursday evening, will not suck, absolutely no interest in sucking, torture!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭High bike

Had a calf earlier in the year and no way would she suck not even ur finger,got her going with a bit of golden syrup .Never saw anything like it ,the minute she got the taste of it she was off and never looked back

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Had a cow calve today. Calf couldn't latch on so put cow in the crush. Cow all excited and just sat back on the bar behind her, her back legs out forward. No way could I get at her teats for the calf. She just wouldn't move forward for 30 mins or so. Christ, they'd drive you nuts at times. Eventually she came off it and got calf going grand.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Same as....had one this year that took over an hour to latch on....nearly broke me. Great when it clicks with them though.:D
    It's not so bad when you've a quiet cow and can prop your head against them for support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Cow calved herself when we were dosing and weighing. I kept an odd eye on the camera. Many’s a time I would have left her to it but I said we were as well check. Calf lying there not breathing. I worked on it and he took in a gulp I was sure it was gone. Up in 15 mins sucking after that. Close call. Big heifer calf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Sami23

I don’t know what age a bull calf would be capable of getting a heifer in calf, but had a ch heifer weanling out of a white head cow come bulling at 5 months last year. Would always separate when taking out bull here after 3/4 months. Would also try not to leave any cow not in calf with the bull calves as they wreck themselves after her if she comes bulling.

When you say you take out the bull after 3/4 months what do you do with him for the rest of the year out of interest

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Cow calved herself when we were dosing and weighing. I kept an odd eye on the camera. Many’s a time I would have left her to it but I said we were as well check. Calf lying there not breathing. I worked on it and he took in a gulp I was sure it was gone. Up in 15 mins sucking after that. Close call. Big heifer calf

Plenty milk there

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Is this a uterine/vaginal prolapse?
    Anyone know whats done about it?
    Cow only due this week. Thanks

I had a cow that was exactly like that or maybe a bit worse for the last month, she calved no bother a few days ago. I wouldn't be too worried about it.
    I won't put my cow in calf again as she has bad feet now and a massive udder that is getting bigger every year.

RD10 wrote: »

Had a few over the years that were like this? She should be ok. Put her in calf to an easy calving bull next time and she should be ok. Calf is big inside of her.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Sami23 wrote: »
    When you say you take out the bull after 3/4 months what do you do with him for the rest of the year out of interest

I leave him with the bunch of cows with bull calves until they’re weaned - I pull out any cow that’s scanned not in calf out of that group so shouldn’t be anything bulling there. He’s prob getting better grass than he needs with them but don’t have to stick him somewhere else. He roots around for the autumn with something else. Into the shed on the rubber slats with cows until Jan before they start calving then out with a dry cow of some sort until he’s needed. Most important animal on the farm for 4
    Months then a nuisance the rest of the year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Had a few over the years that were like this? She should be ok. Put her in calf to an easy calving bull next time and she should be ok. Calf is big inside of her.

Unless you're badly stuck I wouldn't bull her again. She will be guaranteed to do it again next year and probably be putting out more than the tip of it.

Last cow just calved there. Outside in fine weather. Nothing like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Cheers for the replies. Was just thinking the past week she looks bit heavier than normal.
    In calf to charlaois, hopefully all will go well and its not a monster bull calf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

RD10 wrote: »

Probably carrying heavy and/or, is too fat herself.

I have four cows this year doing the same, and we've always had one or two down through the years, no harm really as long as she does'nt start pushing more out.

3 out of the four this year calved sound as a bell, one or two of them will be moved on, mainly because of bad feet, but pushing out the calf bed sealed the deal.

Advertisement