Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club head speed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Power is strength and speed combined, increase either and power increases, more power is more distance

Strength + Speed = Power

no

speed = power in golf

(strength + flexibility + etc) = Speed

Can you show referenced articles or research as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Can you show referenced articles or research as well?

Can 2 people with the same club head speed go different distance.

Same launch conditions

I repeat it's ok to be wrong sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Can 2 people with the same club head speed go different distance.

Same launch conditions

That question has no bearing on whether strength is a component of swing speed.

But to answer your question, I'd need to know what you mean by same launch conditions? Is that launch angle and spin? Are you including ball speed in launch conditions? And the same attack angle, club path and face angle? If they are all the same the ball would go the same distance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Adding this line makes you come across as a dickhead

Even more so when you have offered absolutely nothing to prove him wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

This thread is a mess.

Holding all other variables the same, increasing club head speed will result in hitting the ball further; it can't be denied.

However, in reality, it might not be always possible to increase club head speed but keeping everything else the same.

It doesn't really matter how the club head speed got increased, be it from increased strength, technique, flexibility, praying.... etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

[HTML][/HTML]
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    You are talking absolute nonsense now and purposely missing key parts of the discussion to make stupid nonsensical points.

You are trying to make your point by comparing highly skilled elite lpga golfers to hcap Male golfers.

The average driving distance for Male amateur golfer 219 yet for females of the same skill level is 148. Why?
    I'm making the point that strength isn't the be all and end all of distance, given everything else being equal, swing speed is.

Swing speed uses strength to a point, but just being stronger won't make you swing the club faster and so won't make the ball go further.

The key parts of the discussion I am referring to is the idea that stronger=further.

Why will getting stronger not make you swing faster?

redzerdrog has three articles referenced in his post above, all three talk about strength, are these three articles wrong?

It won't automatically make you swing faster, why would it?

But to answer your question, I'd need to know what you mean by same launch conditions? Is that launch angle and spin? Are you including ball speed in launch conditions? And the same attack angle, club path and face angle? If they are all the same the ball would go the same distance

Launch conditions

Ok, so given that, does it matter if one of those people is demonstrably stronger than the other?

Who is stronger between, wolffe, bubba and DJ?

Adding this line makes you come across as a dickhead

Even more so when you have offered absolutely nothing to prove him wrong

I just explained it

There's no denying it

He is just being deliberately obtuse

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]
    I'm making the point that strength isn't the be all and end all of distance, given everything else being equal, swing speed is.

Swing speed uses strength to a point, but just being stronger won't make you swing the club faster and so won't make the ball go further.

The key parts of the discussion I am referring to is the idea that stronger=further.

Ok so why then do Male hcap golfers average approx 70 yards more than their female counterparts of the same skill level?

I just explained it

There's no denying it

He is just being deliberately obtuse

No you didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

fungie wrote: »
    This thread is a mess.

Holding all other variables the same, increasing club head speed will result in hitting the ball further; it can't be denied.

However, in reality, it might not be always possible to increase club head speed but keeping everything else the same.

It doesn't really matter how the club head speed got increased, be it from increased strength, technique, flexibility, praying.... etc.

Complete mess, that said, I don't think all posters are contributing to the mess equally.

I've tried to increase my clubhead by all measures you've suggested except your final suggestion.

Do you have a means of quantitativing it's contribution ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

I started this thread and it is indeed a mess

Complete mess, that said, I don't think all posters are contributing to the mess equally.

I've tried to increase my clubhead by all measures you've suggested except your final suggestion.

Do you have a means of quantitativing it's contribution ;)

Did any of them work?

You really want to increase your explosiveness, just adding raw strength isn't going to automatically make you swing faster.

But before any of that, your swing sequence needs to be correct or adding speed isnt going to help, it will probably make things worse!
    If your swing contains compensations for swing/sequence flaws then swinging faster gives you less time to correct them and will alter the rhythm required.

ClutchIt wrote: »
    I started this thread and it is indeed a mess

Everyone wants to increase their clubhead speed so as a topic it’s quite interesting but clearly it’s adding little to no value in this format

The best structure for something like this would be an AMA with a TPI qualified trainer who could answer everyone’s questions leaving a catalogue of advice for people to look back and view.

If that could be arranged it would be a very good thread.

Ok so why then do Male hcap golfers average approx 70 yards more than their female counterparts of the same skill level?

Any chance you can answer this greebo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Worth research the term "explosive strength" or "explosive power" which both sides of this argument may be missing. Refers to acceleration or rate of force development, or "the neuromuscular system's ability to generate high action velocities".

Explosive power is a little different to raw strength. Here's a video of RS getting the world strongest man to hit balls (it doesn't go so well, skip to apprx 4:40ish to see first shots)

Long hitting in Golf requires good explosive power and good technique. The other ingredients raw strength, speed etc make up explosive power. There's many other variables too I think not discussed here. Flexibility, Limb length etc.

image.jpg

Tony's one of the strongest, most powerful guys on tour. Look at the length of his arms. He swings well within himself. Every natural advantage he has brings crushing ball speed to his game. There's vids of him swinging hard and he can literally bring an extra 20+mph ball speed at any instant. However he swings a shorter swing, hits everything well inside his means. Getting away from swing speed only, note that tony has well documented struggles closing on the last days and missed more then his fair share of short puts.

Part of the great thing about our sport is the number of different variables that combine. Many of these variables play against each other in different ways. My observation is that the most flexible/long armed golfers out there with the best swing technique are conversely noticeably weaker on the greens due to these physical traits being disadvantages where precision and a solid core/base is valued more for precision.

Each of these points above focuses on ball speed only and also completely skips over the mental side of the game which is more important again. The best thing about our game is the number of ways to get it done!

Any chance you can answer this greebo?

I thought it was obvious, but its because the men swing the clubhead faster then the ladies.

Since we are going this way, any chance you can answer the question around you saying that you would drop at least 4 shots by hitting it 26 yards further?

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Worth research the term "explosive strength" or "explosive power" which both sides of this argument may be missing.

Ahem!

You really want to increase your explosiveness, just adding raw strength isn't going to automatically make you swing faster.

• Advertisement

I thought it was obvious, but its because the men swing the clubhead faster then the ladies.

Since we are going this way, any chance you can answer the question around you saying that you would drop at least 4 shots by hitting it 26 yards further?

And why do men swing it faster than women of the same skill level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Ahem!

Respectfully though you followed up with "just adding raw strength isn't going to automatically make you swing faster". Raw strength as a variable w/ all other variables being equal, then adding extra will give the ability to swing faster. Even if only slightly, even if not really noticeable. Please read the instructions on the label as ball striking, ultimate distance or scoring may not be improved in anyway. You're dead right in that this is not always the proven way to get better at the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

And why do men swing it faster than women of the same skill level?

If they are swinging faster then they are not of the same skill level. How fast you swing it is also part of the overall picture.

To compare a man and a woman of the same skill level you would need them both to have the same swing speeds, IMO.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Respectfully though you followed up with "just adding raw strength isn't going to automatically make you swing faster".

Do you disagree though?
    I'm specifically separating explosive strength from raw strength btw.

Adding explosive power/speed will enable you to swing faster (you might not swing faster due to other issues though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

26 yards is basically 2 clubs.

Anyone hitting 2 clubs less all day has a massive advantage. And stats at any handicap will show . More gir and closer to the hole.

Then they are also hitting nearly a club or two less into a par 3 too.

Do you disagree though?
    I'm specifically separating explosive strength from raw strength btw.

Adding explosive power/speed will enable you to swing faster (you might not swing faster due to other issues though!)

Can you actually explain the difference here because that terminology is by no means technically correct but rather colloquial and pretty ambiguous.

It would make your points much easier to decipher.

Can you actually explain the difference here because that terminology is by no means technically correct but rather colloquial and pretty ambiguous.

It would make your points much easier to decipher.

Power/Strength is the ability to exert maximum force, explosive strength/power is ability to exert maximum force over minimal time.

etxp wrote: »
    If they are swinging faster then they are not of the same skill level. How fast you swing it is also part of the overall picture.

To compare a man and a woman of the same skill level you would need them both to have the same swing speeds, IMO.

That's a different point altogether. There is no point comparing highly skilled lpga tour members or senior tour member to your avarage hcap golfer.

As a general comparison hcap Male golfers and hcap female golfers have the same skill level regarding delivery and strike ect. Yet one group averages 70 yards further than the other, why is that?

I do agree that the ability to strike to ball with a faster swing speed is a skill in itself and not being argued here.

Power/Strength is the ability to exert maximum force, explosive strength/power is ability to exert maximum force over minimal time.

Again there is an incredible amount of ambiguity tied up in what you're saying.

Firstly the line you grabbed which I highlighted relates to "Explosive Strength", that is universally accepted definition of that.

You have gone ahead and tried to bundle "Explosive Power" with that which isn't how explosive power is defined because there is no definition of that, it's an ambiguous term.

Power inherently includes time so defining this as "Power/Strength" vs "Explosive Power/Strength" is incorrect and is closer to "Strength" vs "Explosve Strength" or Strength vs Power.

Again your points are generally poorly defined. When getting into the weeds on a topic like this, you need to be clearer in what you're referring to because it reads as pretty nonsensical.

• Advertisement

You keep telling me that more power will deliver more speed, the LPGA shows that this is not always the case.

Which is it greebo I thought power doesn't give more speed?

Advertisement