Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks ordered to pay customer €12,000 because of drawing on cup

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,757 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The **** does China have to do with this? It was an Irish woman of Thai descent. The quiet part out loud methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

Overheal wrote: »
    The **** does China have to do with this? It was an Irish woman of Thai descent. The quiet part out loud methinks.

I blame Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 81,757 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Newuser2 wrote: »
    I blame Donald Trump

I blame the Dutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The drawing was of slanted eyes.. not written "slanty eyes". I suspect they would have singled out the one Asian person in the cafe, and called to them to collect their coffee. I get the same kind of treatment in China where I'm often the only foreigner they'll see for ages.

Ehh yeah, but you still have to call the person over... Without knowing their name and hand them a cup with slanty eyes on it and explain why you thought a picture of slanty eyes must be them.

But thanks for explaining it, always helps makes things funnier...

Again, reading the transcript it was explained that the barista called out the particular type of tea that she had ordered, so no public embarrassment occurred.

Can people please read the official report here before making assumptions?

https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/cases/2021/january/adj-00028487.html
    Again, it was a joke.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Point being, there are gradations of racism and there seems to a trend lately of seeing racism everywhere thereby diminishing the seriousness of actual racist incidents.

Which should only intensify the severity of actual racist attacks but then there’s some overly sensitive people cooped up nowadays who don’t recognise actions, just words. Feelings; doodles... perceiving air circulation as hostile drafts, and the like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

Look boys theres no sense mincing words. If someone disrespects you, draws a caricature and generally tries to belittle you, just physically assault them. I agree, she was being a soft snowflake, going to court is just OTT. But if she had attacked the barista there and then the problem would've been solved to no cost of the taxpayer. More importantly no one here would even utter the word 'snowflake'

GreeBo wrote: »
    Ehh yeah, but you still have to call the person over... Without knowing their name and hand them a cup with slanty eyes on it and explain why you thought a picture of slanty eyes must be them.

But thanks for explaining it, always helps names things funnier...

The likely idea being that the person had slanted eyes, which seems obvious enough, considering how common it is with Thai people. It's hardly difficult to pick out the Asian person in the cafe, if they're the only Asian there, and call/wave them over. Dunno why there's this need to expect some kind of name calling to be involved. Most people are queuing/waiting by the pickup spot for their drink to be ready.

As for "helps name things funnier", that's why you continue to use slanty, as if to suggest it being more offensive.

The funny thing for me, is that for a long time, slanted eyes were considered sexy (dunno if that's changed now). After all, women have often used makeup to highlight the eyes, and encourage the impression that they're slanted.

Boe Jiden wrote: »
    I talk to South East Asian women online and some of them openly tell me they hate blacks, arabs and muslims. Some even hate their own men and only want a white bf.

But it's white people who are racist apparently.

We might be racist, but we’re not displacist. How some of these people wash up in our shores crying racism is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

I talk to South East Asian women online and some of them openly tell me they hate blacks, arabs and muslims. Some even hate their own men and only want a white bf.

But it's white people who are racist apparently.

Online? where?
    Asking for a friend

I think the whole writing the name thing on the cup is strange, kind open to creeps starting an unwanted conversation, I even wondering if the Barista was coming on to the girl? if so, it wont be seen as creepy, but it is just as much as if a male barista or another customer uses it to seize the opportunity to start up a conversation.
    Argos/McDonalds all give receipts with a code, if I ever go somewhere that asks my name Im just using Santa or R2D2,

Costa coffee and others are probably thinking, thank christ we didn't go down that dick route of pretending to be best mates with our customer, lets treat this like a business transaction

• Advertisement

Perhaps I can get an English guy to write 'Paddy' on my cup and get a sweet payout?

Paddy; mick taidgh you name it!

^^

Rofl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Besides all this, what the hell is the point of all this "oh whats your name for the cup". It is a stupid yankish gimmick. Just throw me out a cup of tae, no sugar, plenty milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Man, don't talk to South East Asian women online.... don't do it. You wanna stick with Irish women. Basically they're sound, and no cultural differences.

Man, don't talk to South East Asian women online.... don't do it. You wanna stick with Irish women. Basically they're sound, and no cultural differences.

Come on that’s how I met my wife.... well northeast Indian? Oof but she’s okay and she swears by the christian rock. Timewarp, the both of us

Besides all this, what the hell is the point of all this "oh whats your name for the cup". It is a stupid yankish gimmick. Just throw me out a cup of tae, no sugar, plenty milk.

tae, no sugar, plenty of milk, is that even on offer?

Its a grande this, a vente that, they are big upping their product, it has to be a big deal, if you go in and you dare to ask whats what, they look at you like you are some kind of philistine troglodyte, Its just coffee.
    Reminds me somewhat of the Restaurant in the film "Office space" OTT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

1874 wrote: »
    tae, no sugar, plenty of milk, is that even on offer?

Its a grande this, a vente that, they are big upping their product, it has to be a big deal, if you go in and you dare to ask whats what, they look at you like you are some kind of philistine troglodyte, Its just coffee.
    Reminds me somewhat of the Restaurant in the film "Office space" OTT

Yeah. Starbucks is full of bull's notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 biobot

If Starbucks had just said the doodle referred to her eyebrows, they probably would have gotten away with it.

biobot wrote: »
    If Starbucks had just said the doodle referred to her eyebrows, they probably would have gotten away with it.

I think yer wan (the barista) was coming onto her (the customer), they should just give out receipts and call out the order,

2 grande vente machiowhatevers, there you go, goodbye, end of

• Advertisement

For some of us, that's the point. The differences are attractive.. and Asian women can be just as sound as Irish women.

But sure, i agree... talking to SE Asian women online is meh. It's most likely a scam of some kind anyway.

But maybe she has to draw them on herself.

Which might result in a very angry; vengeful eyebrow you can imagine...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 biobot

Bobblehats wrote: »

That's the thing I was getting at, it does look like she draws on her own eyebrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Bobblehats wrote: »

That's the thing I was getting at, it does look like she draws on her own eyebrows.

Fúckin hell at least debate the veracity of the claim or perhaps the sum of the award. But really going down the personal insults about the claimants appearance.

Real fúckin classy

Well sh*t I know my girl does....

The likely idea being that the person had slanted eyes, which seems obvious enough, considering how common it is with Thai people. It's hardly difficult to pick out the Asian person in the cafe, if they're the only Asian there, and call/wave them over. Dunno why there's this need to expect some kind of name calling to be involved. Most people are queuing/waiting by the pickup spot for their drink to be ready.
    Indeed, so you are automatically linking slanty eyes to the Asian person.
    If its offensive to draw it, its offensive to draw the conclusion.
    As for "helps name things funnier", that's why you continue to use slanty, as if to suggest it being more offensive.

No, explaining the joke is what makes things funnier, as *everyone* knows, irrespective of the angle of their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

1874 wrote: »

I think the whole writing the name thing on the cup is strange, kind open to creeps starting an unwanted conversation, I even wondering if the Barista was coming on to the girl?

Bah, its the corner stone of most romantic comedies.

Stalking is not stalking, its being interested.

Being told no is just someone playing hard to get....

Harassment ? No, its just resilience:pac::pac::pac:

I live in Asia most of the time... and the vast majority of Asians from certain countries tend to have slanted eyes. Which is what I said about Thailand. Whereas I said that round eyes are more common with China and Korea.. although again slanted eyes are still very common.

I don't automatically associate/link slanted eyes with Asian people because I've met so many of them, but before I came to Asia, I actually did. Since that's what we tended to see in movies/tv, which favored Japanese people.. again, slanted eyes being very common.

I doubt many people would have considered it offensive to draw an Asian person with slanted eyes.. before this case anyway.

Has anyone seen a photo of the woman in question? Does she have slanted eyes?
    No, explaining the joke is what makes things funnier, as *everyone* knows, irrespective of the angle of their eyes.

So, if I draw a picture of you with round eyes, which you presumably have, then that would be offensive to you?

People get offended by far too much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,055 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That’s a massive stretch dude.

By your logic, this cartoon depict a person of unknown ethnicity- and anyone who draws any other conclusions is a racist.
    AmericanBornChinese-48-e1475118880543-1024x1024.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement