Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks ordered to pay customer €12,000 because of drawing on cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    I have a three letter Irish name, which I spell out, and they still get it wrong. They'll never master Tadhgh.
    Dicks. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,492 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Should be a million.

Why should I care what a billion dollar company has to pay?

What is the OP expecting from me? Sympathy for the poor racist? For the poor little rich company for whom 12k is a sneeze?

Sorry.

They should be punished more.

I feel nothing but coldness toward them.

Was I supposed to feel sorry for them? Weird.

Such a nuanced response.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,311 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's really not clear how our awards are calculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,985 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Should be a million.

Why should I care what a billion dollar company has to pay?

What is the OP expecting from me? Sympathy for the poor racist? For the poor little rich company for whom 12k is a sneeze?

Sorry.

They should be punished more.

I feel nothing but coldness toward them.

Was I supposed to feel sorry for them? Weird.

So you think one moment in time of silliness and childishness, and immaturity which is what reads to me should see a whole global company have its name down as being involved and complicit in racism?

This was a ridiculous overreaction that was pursued out of making a quick buck. Nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

I know lots of taximen whom brought many a thai girl + a sibling or 2 back to ireland because they are generally more attractive than our natives so I have been told
    I suspect this is home grown compo culture google surname lol
    Compo culture is not free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,001 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

And an apology and gesture would have sufficed, which is exactly what was offered, but she refused. You really think 12K is a reasonable outcome? This will set the scene for many more such claims, clogging up the courts from putting away some actual criminals.

Its not a court though.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

agoodpunt wrote: »
    I know lots of taximen whom brought many a thai girl + a sibling or 2 back to ireland because they are generally more attractive than our natives so I have been told

wha?

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    That's not a good comparison. A drawing of an Asian is not the same as calling a gay a "queer".

Perhaps a better comparison would be if they drew a rainbow flag on a gay customer's cup. Is that bigotry? I don't think so. You could argue it's annoying or stupid, but I think we need to stop lumping anything uncomfortable into the bigotry category.

no, it would be the same as drawing a stereotype "jewish nose" on a cup which would also result in a payout

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's not a good comparison. A drawing of an Asian is not the same as calling a gay a "queer".

It's exactly the comparison Starbucks used in their defence (ironically digging themselves a deeper hole rather than exonerating themselves).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

no, it would be the same as drawing a stereotype "jewish nose" on a cup which would also result in a payout

Not a good comparison either, as in Asia they use slanty eyes when drawing themselves. Most Starbucks drinks I get will have a drawing of a face with slanty eyes on it.

I asked my friends and wife about it here (all Japanese), and none of them thought it was racism. They do think it is stupid though.

I don't think Jewish people draw themselves with a big nose.

Again, I'm not saying it's without offence, I just think we should stop lumping everything into the racism basket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭pgj2015

it would be like a Swedish woman drawing a person with black hair for an Italian customer in a Swedish starbucks.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    it would be like a Swedish woman drawing a person with black hair for an Italian customer in a Swedish starbucks.

No it isn’t

No it isn’t

it is. why is slanty eyes an insult?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

No it isn’t

It is when you have irish compo culture
    Am sure her family in thailand are on the backs laughing at stupid farangs

• Registered Users Posts: 40,280 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is that a genuine question? you really don't know the history behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ah here

agoodpunt wrote: »

their surname is Foley. what exactly should we be looking for when we google that surname?

Its a disgrace Joe, foreigners coming over here racially abusing us Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Stark wrote: »
    That was very bizarre.

Like imagine a gay person walked in and an employee wrote "Queer" on their cup. "Oh I heard you guys had re-appropriated the term".

Nonsense.

In the context of what happened, your example would be more akin to a barista drawing a rainbow on someones cup.

Context matters, and in the context of what happened you have to ask the question, 'was offence or distress intended'?
    IMO, no it was not. There seems to have certiantly been a determined effort to take offence however.

Personally I loathe those whole cutsey 'para-social' attempts by corporate entities to present the appearence of a 'personal relationship with the customer' that scrawling smiley faces and such on your frickin' takeaway coffee constitutes.

It's abnoxiously American and very fake.

conorhal wrote: »
    Nonsense.

In the context of what happened, your example would be more akin to a barista drawing a rainbow on someones cup.

Context matters, and in the context of what happened you have to ask the question, 'was offence or distress intended'?
    IMO, no it was not. There seems to have certiantly been a determined effort to take offence however.

Personally I loathe those whole cutsey 'para-social' attempts by corporate entities to present the appearence of a 'personal relationship with the customer' that scrawling smiley faces and such on your frickin' takeaway coffee constitutes.

It's abnoxiously American and very fake.

you are really bad at analogies. it is nothing like that at all.

• Advertisement

you are really bad at analogies. it is nothing like that at all.

Well that makes two of us then and a lot of self righteous huffing over a storm in a coffee cup.
    It was a barista consciously drawing attention to a characteristic of a customer in a rather odd way in which no offence was intended.
    IMO the manager acted appropriately and that should have been the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Well that makes two of us then and a lot of self righteous huffing over a storm in a coffee cup.
    It was a barista consciously drawing attention to a characteristic of a customer in a rather odd way in which no offence was intended.
    IMO the manager acted appropriately and that should have been the end of it.

Thankfully the courts didn't see it this way and acted in a manner that has made an example out of the situation.

Thankfully the courts didn't see it this way and acted in a manner that has made an example out of the situation.

The law is an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The law is an ass.

For the umpteenth time, this was not in the courts.

if the plaintiff thought it was done as an insult then she was right to bring the matter further but from the sounds of it, she didnt, so she should have just let it go.

I don't get how this is racist.

I live in Japan and Asians literally have slanty eyes.

I can understand how the drawing might be a bit annoying for her, but I don't understand how it is racist.

As an example, I've probably received Starbucks coffees here where they drew a smiley face with big eyes (to suggest the coffee is for the white guy), but I don't get how that's racist either. If anything it's kind of amusing.

I feel the meaning of racism has changed to include things like "a little bit annoying".

Ditto. In China, they won't be able to write my name, so usually they write 'foreigner' on the cup in Chinese characters.

And since Asia is the epicenter for all things "cute", I could easily see them drawing a stick insect to represent me. (Being tall/Thin). The anime aspect is strong throughout Asia, and most Asians are themselves represented by other Asians as having slanted/small eyes.

As for all Asians having slanted eyes, not so much. Round eyes are very common in China and Korea... added to the massive cosmetic surgery industry which will alter them. Admittedly, from my experiences, slanted eyes tends to be far more common in Thailand than other countries. Although, they're not really slanted, it's just the case of the eyes being covered more. My ex was so cute when she smiled or laughed because her eyes would close every time.

In any case, I don't really see the racism here either. It's not like the cup was being shown to all the other customers, with everyone laughing over the image. It was a single drawing shown to the customer.. of a physical feature she probably had.

Yup. I'd consider this to be compo culture.. Something that definitely wouldn't be considered offensive in her own culture, but seeks to make it offensive in ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

As for all Asians having slanted eyes, not so much. Round eyes are very common in China and Korea... added to the massive cosmetic surgery industry which will alter them. Admittedly, from my experiences, slanted eyes tends to be far more common in Thailand than other countries. Although, they're not really slanted, it's just the case of the eyes being covered more. My ex was so cute when she smiled or laughed because her eyes would close every time.

Yeh that's the Siam crowd a lot of Chinese have large, rounded eyes moreso than most my missus is classic oriental albeit naga she asks why you like my chinky eyes! I tell her that's why; honey then it gets awkward hah. But usually resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 54,985 ✭✭✭✭walshb

12k isn't really a lot of money so it's not unreasonable that she get's that payout. Nonetheless, I'm not bothered by name calling or similar discrimination as I have healthy self esteem so I'd happily be discriminated against every day if it meant I could get 12k a pop.

It’s a whole lot of money for a whole lot of nothing. That is the point..

Reading the details here, this, for me was nothing more than a cash-grab..

And they got away with it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I don’t class this as a normal BS compo claim. What that employee did was racist and this sends a message. And it’s not a small, struggling business. This is a slap on the wrist for Starbucks but probably just enough of an amount for them to take notice.

The ‘writing on cups’ thing in Starbucks is open to abuse by arsehole employees. I’ve seen other examples of them writing “funny” things on cups that are actually just mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

.anon. wrote: »
    Sounds like the employee might have been very, very innocent and genuinely didn't understand how offensive it was.

Starbucks' defence was bizarre, to say the least:

"A legal representatives for the Starbucks outlet put it to Ms Foley that an American band called 'Slants' had sought to re-appropriate the depiction of eyes in the same way that 'queer' had been re-appropriated by the LGBT community."

Anyone who is old enough to hold employment should know better. I mean, I learned and understood as a young child why the old version of the “Eeny meeny miney mo” rhyme was not okay. There’s no excuse.

Advertisement