Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Michelle Obama so.

Can you imagine the apocalyptic rage?

“Mitch McConnell: “A sitting president cannot nominate a Supreme Court Justice less than one year before midterm elections.””

Hah!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It needs to be for something that is irreversable. Republicans can easily just do the exact same thing and then it becomes more of a circus than it already is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

How about actually appointing the best candidate for the job instead of more identity politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is that an actual quote from him ? More goalpost moving than a hurling blitz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Like someone who struggles to remember the 5 freedoms granted by the first amendment?

Or maybe someone who never tried a case as an attorney before being appointed as a Federal judge?

Do you think they are likely to have been the best candidates for the job?

When was the last time the 'best candidate for the job' was appointed to the bench?

On that actually, who do you think the best candidates for the job are?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its seems bizarre that there is no Protestant on the Supreme Court considering that 49% of Americans are Protestant.

Roman Catholics account for a bit more than 20% of the U.S. population, yet they hold six of the Supreme Court’s nine seats.

It’s odd given that for most of its history, it was almost entirely populated by white male Protestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Did you have any particular colour in mind? 😁

You were giving out about 'identity politics' a couple of hours ago.

Who are the best candidates for the job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

I can see Mitch throwing a spanner into the works with the supreme court nomination if this is anything to go by:

"But the nuclear option can go into motion only if the Judiciary Committee reports the nomination to the floor, a procedural move that says whether a majority on the committee recommends the full Senate consider the pick. Well, in a little-noticed backroom deal that took more than a month to hammer out, McConnell and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer agreed to a power-sharing plan in February that splits committee membership, staffs and budgets in half. (A full nonpartisan analysis from the Congressional Research Service regarding the current process for nominees is here.)

Why does this matter? If all 11 Republican members of the Judiciary Committee oppose Biden’s pick and all 11 Democrats back her, the nomination goes inert. (A pretty safe bet in a committee where at least half of the Republican members have White House ambitions of their own.) The nomination doesn’t die, but it does get parked until a lawmaker—historically, the Leader of the party—brings it to the floor for four hours of debate.

A majority of the Senate—51 votes, typically—can then put debate about the issue on the calendar for the next day. But that’s the last easy part. When the potential pick comes to the floor again, it’s not as a nomination. At that point, it’s a motion to discharge, a cloture motion that requires 60 votes. In other words, 10 Republicans would have to resurrect the nomination of someone already blocked in the Judiciary Committee."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

A rumored frontrunner: Ketanji Brown Jackson, on the DC circuit court, confirmed by the Senate a couple years ago, and married to the twin brother of Paul Ryan's brother-in-law. That'd be former Speaker of the House under the #2xIMPOTUS.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Christ on a bike.. The more you get to understand about their form of Government the more you realise it's an utter bloody shambles.

I mean who on earth decided that that utterly ridiculous level of votes and approvals was a good idea??

Talk about complexity for complexities sake.

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

As far as I'm aware Biden followed through on Trumps decision to pull out of Afghanistan. It's not Trumps fault Biden made a hash of it.

And you mustn't be keeping up to date with world affair because what I can see is a very serious problem emerging in Ukraine.

And, you'd expect employment to go up now hat the effect of vaccines are kicking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think this is the biggest lie I've ever heard on boards.

Every bookmaker not only thought Biden would win but that hardly anyone would vote for Trump. That Trump would be completely trounced.

What happened was he wasn't trounced at all, and ended up getting the second biggest vote ever in terms of numbers, second only to Biden. And how does that look? That Trump got more votes in actual numbers the second time around. You could argue higher participation but even taking that into account it wasn't by any means the trouncing the polls suggested. Not even close. Totally wrong in fact.

At least some commentators, who I know despise Trump, at least recognized the polls were way way off, in fact some of them were surprised he lost, despite the polls showing he hadn't a hope in hell.

I'll never believe polls in the western world again. They've got it wildly wrong so many times in the last decade that I think they can't be trusted. Who oversees polling? Nobody I guess. It would be so easy to manipulate the polls if they are done without any independent oversight. And polling does influence how people vote, perhaps enough to swing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

This is doom mongering thankfully. Looking at the senate members of that committee their is not enough people who are certain to be obstructive for the sake of it.

Its probable whoever Biden picks gets about 5 or so Republican votes, Graham, Mc Connell, Collins, Murkowski, and maybe even Mitch himself if feeling trollish.

Its a low stake victory for the Dems while the GOP people like Romney etc can chat about how they are all for bipartisanship unlike the other side (not my opinion but that will be the talking point),,,,Mc Connell does not have the numbers to keep the seat open for 3 years nor does he even need to looking at the senate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Try reading the thread. I've frequently called out Manchin and Sinema and said that Biden is being too politically correct in not pushing through with policies that he said he would

How does he push through something if he doesn't have the votes? He can call out Manchin and Sinema all he wants, they don't care. He didn't hire them, he can't fire them, and they don't work for him. I also suspect they are a little more in tune with what it takes to get elected in their constituencies than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It would have been a lot easier if trump hadn't made the deal before he left office that released 5000 imprisoned taliban fighters in February 2020 before the pull out, or had you forgotten about that?

You’re accusing me of lying yet you go on this diatribe?

I specifically said ‘election night’. Trump was a clear odds on favourite when it looked like he was well ahead in the Rust Belt and Georgia. Go back and find the thread(s) if you don’t believe me because odds were regularly updated. Learn to read posts properly before you start accusing others of lying (lol at someone defending Trump doing this btw).

Also, he lost by over 7 million votes and lost by the same margin in the electoral college that he referred to as a ‘landslide’ in 2016. As I pointed out, Walter Mondale got closer to Ronald Reagan than Trump did to Biden in the popular vote. That’s how much of a trouncing it was.

He got his arse handed to him yet people here are still banging on about ‘but but the polls’ and trying to gaslight us into thinking it wasn’t a bad result.

It’s so utterly predictable. No doubt someone will be along to say ‘you’re still talking about the election ugh get over it’ and be completely devoid of any self-awareness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

They don’t forget, they ignore.

Trump did his level best to ensure the Afghanistan pull out would be a disaster and then Biden had to attempt to clean up his mess. There’s a pattern there.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What is it with Trump worshippers and betting?

And polls. They were constantly told the polls mean **** all unless people go to vote and yet they’re now claiming some sort of moral victory around the polls being wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

Another new day another new record low for Bidens approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,297 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Fox news, Oann, Newsmax, Facebook groups constantly post negative news about Biden.

Republicans when Biden's numbers are affected:

Any answer as to why you think independent voters will go back to Trump?

I know you’ve been lurking and avoiding the question so an admission that you don’t have a clue would be sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

He is leaking heavy especially among independents.

Independents don't align or identify with anyone they react more to day to day effects on their lives like the economy inflation gas prices etc which are all going against Biden.

The federal reserve will be increasing interest rates this year several times it is forecasted which will play into Trump's hands aswell.

These independents voted for Trump before remember in 2016 so it's not like it would be something new for them.

Why do you think the independents will stay with Biden is the more interesting question?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Independents who voted for Trump in 2016 did so because they were willing to "give him a shot" as a comparative unknown quantity.

That no longer applies , everyone knows EXACTLY what Trump is and will vote accordingly.

Biden is not polling well at present , but the best thing that could happen to any Biden 2024 campaign would be for his opponent to be Trump.

Right now , Biden probably loses to any other GOP candidate - Running against Trump though and barring GOP Vote rigging bullsh!t Biden wins again.

As has been pointed out already , unhappiness with Biden does not automatically mean willingness to restore Trump to the Whitehouse in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The only people harping on about polls now, or then were and are fans of Trump.

That's not true at all though. When Trump's approval ratings were in the toilet, there was plenty of comment on those polls in CA. And when some election polls had Biden looking hopeful in certain traditionally red states (I remember the polling on Texas being discussed at length here when there seemed to be a hint that Biden might swing Texas), there was plenty of interest in those polls too.

There's nothing unusual at all about being interested in polls when you like what they say, and then dismissing them when they don't. The exact same thing was happening when Trump was president.

• Advertisement

This post says nothing about why Trump will win them back over at all, which is what you are suggesting when you say the ‘right’ forecast is that Trump will win. He can’t win without the swing voters.

Its not about whether they’d stay with Biden, if he runs and it’s against Trump then it’s a no brainier where the swing voters go and that’s blue.

They're the ones that are, for the most part, thinking rationally and not just along party lines. You believe independents would vote for Trump knowing what he did in his four years in office?

Any other GOP candidate and it’s a completely different story. Trump only appeals to his base and loyal GOP voters now. He had an appeal of independent voters in some states because of the unknown factor and he wasn’t a standard politician. All of that rope is long gone.

Also, I never said the Indies would stay solidly with Biden no matter what and what I’ve highlighted above signifies that. However, if Trump is on the ballot, then he won’t win them back over. He’s part of the elite political class now, he can’t claim otherwise anymore.

Advertisement