Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

There was a deal to pull troops of of Afghanistan on May 1st, Biden delayed it 6 months and people are framing it like its a good thing. I must be missing something, could someone explain pls?

There was a deal to pull troops of of Afghanistan on May 1st, Biden delayed it 6 months and people are framing it like its a good thing. I must be missing something, could someone explain pls?

I would say exiting a volatile situation likely needs preparation to safely achieve it. So them needing an extra few months to do so is sensible. Imagine they also need time to prepare Afghani officials etc. It's definitely not something that should be rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,200 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yeah,

It only took 50 days for him to fulfil his promise of 100Million vaccinations.
    A recovery package providing stimulus cheques and help for the economy
    Cancelling the Keystone pipeline
    Protections for LGBT people
    A commitment to end the war in Afghanistan

He should have just pretended his healthcare and infrastructure bills were coming in 2 weeks and be done with it.

Wait...hasn't he proposed an infrastructure plan, too?

But yeah, where's the healthcare reform? Oh wait...Healthcare is hard.

And in terms of cheap talk: "We have killers, too." Lest we forget that #IMPOTUS gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I would say exiting a volatile situation likely needs preparation to safely achieve it. So them needing an extra few months to do so is sensible. Imagine they also need time to prepare Afghani officials etc. It's definitely not something that should be rushed.

The chaotic evacuation of Saigon will be long remembered in the American military.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

WrenBoy wrote: »
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/us-intel-walks-back-claim-russians-put-bounties-on-american-troops
    Turns out the Russian bounties on US troops story has been walked back and revealed to have just been an Afghan jailhouse rumour. Intel Services now state they only had "low to moderate confidence in the story.... at best unproven and possibly untrue"

Remember couple of boardsies loved to throw that out every now and again.

It was a silly story at the time for sure.

Their was an element online who were content to constantly blow up stories like this to appeal to old boomers who still think we are living in the cold war era.

I don't think its really fair to blame Biden here though, it wasn't him who reported the story just the dailybeast looking for clickbait and a partisan element online content to elevate it for their own needs.

He may have scored some political capital from it, but I'm skeptical if anyone else would have said "lets hold fire here" that sadly is politics in a nutshell.

Probably more suited to the Trump thread this debate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Like a lot of the things Trump announced, there was no actual plan to implement it. He shouted it for headlines and the Pentagon had to scramble to find a way to make it happen.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Brian? wrote: »
    Like a lot of the things Trump announced, there was no actual plan to implement it. He shouted it for headlines and the Pentagon had to scramble to find a way to make it happen.

He did want to pull out the troops but he bottled it sadly.

They screamed Putin at him and he obviously was more worried about getting blowback from the likes of Rachel Maddow etc then actually implementing a good policy.

ALPHA. :pac:

Oh and actually would have meant some hard work involved as majority of the GOP would oppose that, so he said ""**** it, I will just tweet about doing it instead every few months".

Biden will get a lot of blowback and it also will be cynical and sadly bipartisan,,some neocons "warning" about "female equality" etc trying to to use social justice as a cover to keep them their forever.

If he follows through , then its something he should be praised on, lets hope he doesn't fold like Obama and obviously Trump did.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,234 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

They had 20 years, but they had to scramble?

Where are you getting that as the reason he delayed it?

It was framed as Biden ending the war not delaying it further

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What was Trumps plan? What was the exit strategy?

He didn't have either. Trump was good at announcing things, his failure always was his ability to actually deliver.

A combination of lack of planning, lack of including experts and lack of interest in doing the actual work.

He simply gave up on healthcare, tax reform, trade wars and most damningly he simply gave up on Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Biden slurring is words now on Bloomberg live from the White House. Is he drunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Cody montana

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Biden slurring is words now on Bloomberg live from the White House. Is he drunk?

Nothing on Twitter about it.
    Are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Sigh...

Is that an improv prompt, a running comentary or what?

I appreciate that not all people are capable of making a coherent point but come on. Try to up your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Are you?

It's a rerun of something. Possibly a Steve Martin skit with Martin Short. He sees something, he posts something. Simple enough, really.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What was Trumps plan? What was the exit strategy?

He didn't have either. Trump was good at announcing things, his failure always was his ability to actually deliver.

A combination of lack of planning, lack of including experts and lack of interest in doing the actual work.

He simply gave up on healthcare, tax reform, trade wars and most damningly he simply gave up on Covid.

I'm not arguing with you, Trump was a very **** president to put it mildly.
    Biden didn't mention any of this when announcing the delay, it was framed as a win.

So in Feb 2020 they said 15 months and they're out, and now the time has come they say the 15 months and 18 years before that wasn't long enough for the biggest most war hungry military ever to beat one of the poorest countries on earth and they need another 6 months.

Maybe i'm being cynical but I just don't believe them, and I cant understand why some people think its a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,463 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Are you?

i dont know if he was drunk but the fact its not on twitter is irrelevant as they have censored things in the past.

They had to scramble because there was no timetable for a full withdrawal. It’s hardly shocking that Trump took the Pentagon by surprise. He was a bull in a china shop.

they/them/theirs

i dont know if he was drunk but the fact its not on twitter is irrelevant as they have censored things in the past.

Yeah, the president of the USA got drunk and went on live tv.
    The second problem being he doesn't drink alcohol.

Are you saying twitter is censoring comments for a live feed?
    How exactly would they do that?
    I use twitter, it's very relevant.
    If something is happening, it's there.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    He did want to pull out the troops but he bottled it sadly.

They screamed Putin at him and he obviously was more worried about getting blowback from the likes of Rachel Maddow etc then actually implementing a good policy.

ALPHA. :pac:

Oh and actually would have meant some hard work involved as majority of the GOP would oppose that, so he said ""**** it, I will just tweet about doing it instead every few months".

Biden will get a lot of blowback and it also will be cynical and sadly bipartisan,,some neocons "warning" about "female equality" etc trying to to use social justice as a cover to keep them their forever.

If he follows through , then its something he should be praised on, lets hope he doesn't fold like Obama and obviously Trump did.

He wanted to pull the troops out, no doubt about it. But he didn’t actually ask anyone how it would be done when he announced it. He flummoxed his own staff.

Biden is actually planning.

they/them/theirs

2/10 for effort

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,316 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

2/10 for effort

generous

generous

He gets 2 for quoting Bloomberg and not some alt right twitter account.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,463 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Yeah, the president of the USA got drunk and went on live tv.
    The second problem being he doesn't drink alcohol.

Are you saying twitter is censoring comments for a live feed?
    How exactly would they do that?
    I use twitter, it's very relevant.
    If something is happening, it's there.

i quite clearly said i don't know.

what i was questioning was the veracity of twitter. they have censored national publications, so why would you rely on that platform for news?

They had to scramble because there was no timetable for a full withdrawal. It’s hardly shocking that Trump took the Pentagon by surprise. He was a bull in a china shop.

It was a surprise to be told to end a 19 year on war that no-one wants? C'mon.
    Even if they had no exit strategy 15 months is enough to make one, less than a month after 9/11 they went in but...............

what i was questioning was the veracity of twitter. they have censored national publications, so why would you rely on that platform for news?

How would they censor live responses to Biden speaking?

Well since you guys haven't provided anything to back it up... And you guys have a history of onerous statements, I'm inclined to say searching "Biden" on Twitter or Google news is infinitely more reliable. Also twitter has plenty of negative tweets in relation to him that are going uncensored so this conspiracy isn't ringing true.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,131 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

shadowban something something?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

How about some examples of what has been censored and why...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,234 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"Check his ear, maaaaaannn, it's not really him maaaannn"

• Advertisement

It was a surprise to be told to end a 19 year on war that no-one wants? C'mon.
    Even if they had no exit strategy 15 months is enough to make one, less than a month after 9/11 they went in but...............

I think you’ve an entirely too simplistic view of what withdrawing those troops means. It would take a day to get them in the air and out of the country.

It’s the mayhem that would leave behind that needs to be mitigated with a plan.

And, yes, Trump did surprise the Pentagon. They were stupid enough to think he would have asked their advice before he did it.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement