Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

link dump

Mod

Please contribute your own thoughts / opinions with your posts, rather than just dumping a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lol, now it's #ExpandTheCourt in NewSpeak.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/04/10/markey-calls-to-expand-supreme-court-other-massachusetts-pols-say-theyll-wait-on-biden-commission/
    Jones tweeted, “My colleagues and I need not wait for the findings of a commission. We know the obvious: we must #ExpandTheCourt before it’s too late.”

Did you just source that quote from a severely biased media source that has been shown to have constantly made false claims in the past?

https://100percentfedup.com/left-wing-supreme-court-justice-publicly-scolds-biden-do-not-pack-the-supreme-court/

Stephen Breyer is a moderate liberal. If that makes him one of the most left-wing justices on the Supreme Court then things certainly do need to change.
    I'll add a trigger warning next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

biko wrote: »

Well, plenty of people head into commissions with prior views. The point of the commission is to come to a consensus. You don't think that only people that have no feeling, either way, should be involved, as that would rule out many of those that actually follow and understand it.

But the commission is there to hear all sides of the argument and try to ascertain what is the best course of action going forward.

Well, there is nothing inherently wrong with expanding the court. Why is 9 the magic number? Should it be more, less?

As I said previously, I think they are abusing the Supreme court system to avoid and try to manipulate laws to suits themselves, but as that is unlikely to change in the short term, why is having more judges a bad thing?

GOP didn't seem to worry that 8 judges existed for Obamas last year, so 9 can't be that important a number.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Trump nominated 3 justices and now Biden wants to add 4, not to replace anyone but to add Dems influence.
    Doesn't sound like unmaking anything. Sounds like making the pendulum swing the other way.

The 'packing the court' precedent started when the Republicans ignored Merrick Garland for a year because 'election'.

They then fast-tracked ACB after over 50m people had voted in. If that isn't packing the court I don't know what is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Faugheen wrote: »
    The 'packing the court' precedent started when the Republicans ignored Merrick Garland for a year because 'election'.

They then fast-tracked ACB after over 50m people had voted in. If that isn't packing the court I don't know what is.

Exactly. One of Trumps actual achievements (his only) was that he had stacked the court. It was one of his key selling points.

For the GOP now to feign concern that the court might be stacked is nothing but hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It is going to be funny watching the GOP act all aghast at this proposal when their behavior in the senate has directly caused it :)

The legislation isn't going to go anywhere anytime soon, anyway.

But if it did and it passed through the House, and Senate, where do we think it will end up?

Faugheen wrote: »
    If that isn't packing the court I don't know what is.
    It's not.
    Packing the court means adding more justices to the US Supreme Court.
    ACB simply replaced RGB.
    These 4 won't replace anyone, they will be an addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Exactly. One of Trumps actual achievements (his only) was that he had stacked the court. It was one of his key selling points.

For the GOP now to feign concern that the court might be stacked is nothing but hypocrisy.

GOP and Hypocrisy???

They are one and the same thing.

• Advertisement

It's not.
    ACB simply replaced RGB.

Spare me. They blocked a Democratic on the pretence of 'an election year' when fact is it was the seat of an ultra-conservative Justice.

Then, after 50 million people had voted, they replaced a liberal justice with a one of Scalia's proteges just days before voting closed and ignored their own precedent set four years earlier.

Defend it all you want but that is packing the court. Maybe not in a literal definitive sense, but anyone with eyes and half-a-brain can see it for what it is. It's not a simple 'ACB replaced RBG' as that would remove all context.

If Republicans stood by their precedent in 2015, this conversation wouldn't be happening right now. However, they went back on it in true Republican fashion and did whatever they want when it suited them.

Now, they're getting that attitude back with this and suggestions of adding DC and Puerto Rico as states and they don't like it.

F*ck them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

It's not.
    ACB simply replaced RGB.

These 4?

Biko do you realise it isn’t Biden putting this forward? It’s 1 senator and he doesn’t even have the support of the House Speaker so it’s not going to happen until and unless Biden’s bipartisan commission reports on it.

You’ve shot your load too early here.

I'll add a trigger warning next time.

Why did you purposefully remove the question I asked you when you quoted me? Do you not want to answer it?

It's not.
    ACB simply replaced RGB.

And why didn't Merrick Garland simply replace Antonin Scalia?

And why didn't Merrick Garland simply replace Antonin Scalia?
    I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,251 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't know.

you do know. don't pretend to be naive.

I don't know.

If you don't know then you're not paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I don't know.

Nobody here believes this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Biden running away from questions on Russia yet again

• Registered Users Posts: 81,923 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BanditLuke wrote: »

If only we had Trump back, you couldn't get the guy to shut up badmouthing Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Do i need to post the pictures of "Reek" in Helsinki?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What questions? Can you show his responses? Hard to have a discussion without context

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Is that an improv prompt, a running comentary or what?

I appreciate that not all people are capable of making a coherent point but come on. Try to up your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Did he slip while running ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Yeah he's "running away" so fast he's actually delivering remarks on the matter shortly. There's a link on the Potus Twitter page seeing that you're so interested. Might be a better use of your time than posting dumb comments here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,923 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Along with new voter suppression measures doing the rounds, the GOP in Oklahoma today passed through the legislature a bill to the Gov's desk that will give protections against criminal liability to motorists who run over pedestrians exercising their first amendment rights:

https://thehill.com/regulation/legislation/548396-oklahoma-senate-passes-protections-for-drivers-who-hit-protesters?fbclid=IwAR0zS8PHqNv2hpRpGxpTrQPHlYyvnHWzREEoY8tjIfF83bN2FWrrIE60Qus

I don't agree with this bill but why are you standing in the road?

blm_37648339_ver1.0.jpg

Wrong thread.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058091617

blm_37648339_ver1.0.jpg

It's called a peaceful protest. I thought we all supported peaceful protests?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Along with new voter suppression measures doing the rounds, the GOP in Oklahoma today passed through the legislature a bill to the Gov's desk that will give protections against criminal liability to motorists who run over pedestrians exercising their first amendment rights:

https://thehill.com/regulation/legislation/548396-oklahoma-senate-passes-protections-for-drivers-who-hit-protesters?fbclid=IwAR0zS8PHqNv2hpRpGxpTrQPHlYyvnHWzREEoY8tjIfF83bN2FWrrIE60Qus

Disgraceful

they/them/theirs

Advertisement