Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish (ISEQ) share chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Gorteen wrote: »
    I'm relatively new to shares in Ireland. My first purchases were October last. I had been hoping to buy last June/July but it took absolutely months to get my Degiro account set up :(

My investments so far;
    October 2020. Bank of Ireland. Bought at 2.00. Close today 4.04
    October 2020. Glanbia. Bought at 8.09. Close today 11.56
    November 2020. Dalata. Bought at 3.17. Close today 4.40
    March 2021. AIB. Bought at 1.93. Close today 2.14

Happy days so far!

Fair play. Yes, if you had got in during the summer you would have even bigger gains, but then again if you got in, a full year ago you would have seen staggering losses in your first few days as an investor (probably sh1t your pants, sold at the bottom and never returned). I hope you see where I'm going with this?

As regards your 4 x ISEQ share picks... Solid if unspectacular!! But having said that, I see no reason that all 4 won't have a pretty good 2021.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Fair play. Yes, if you had got in during the summer you would have even bigger gains, but then again if you got in, a full year ago you would have seen staggering losses in your first few days as an investor (probably sh1t your pants, sold at the bottom and never returned). I hope you see where I'm going with this?

As regards your 4 x ISEQ share picks... Solid if unspectacular!! But having said that, I see no reason that all 4 won't have a pretty good 2021.

Best of luck.

Thanks. Yes, timing is everything. I was initially interested in Ryanair which was between 8 & 9 euro.... Degiro put an end to that idea...LOL

Good results yesterday for two of my ISEQ long term holds

-Yew Grove REIT
    -Mincon

Against a backdrop of a Covid disrupted 2020, they both comfortably beat 2019 results....thats pretty impressive stuff!!

I think both have got kinda expensive now to buy... but would have no hesitation to add more if they dipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Good results yesterday for two of my ISEQ long term holds

-Yew Grove REIT
    -Mincon

Against a backdrop of a Covid disrupted 2020, they both comfortably beat 2019 results....thats pretty impressive stuff!!

I think both have got kinda expensive now to buy... but would have no hesitation to add more if they dipped.

Any other good REITs on Iseq?

Been looking to invest in property.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

IRES is my biggest stock winner in 2021 , up 16% , Hibernia up less than 1%

great dividends too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Do you think REITs will take a significant hit when (if) housing supply meets demand? I was looking at IRES but can currently see big public outcry over new build-to-rent developments and a pressure to build more affordable homes so people can get out of rentals.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Do you think REITs will take a significant hit when (if) housing supply meets demand? I was looking at IRES but can currently see big public outcry over new build-to-rent developments and a pressure to build more affordable homes so people can get out of rentals.

Im not sure the REIT,s follow any trend at all , they completely failed to track the one the ground market since they were launched in 2014 , they are cheap relative to the on the ground market

the biggest risk facing the REIT,s is a SF led government

I think this is very significant and very good news this morning from IRES. The outsourcing contract was a drain on their returns (and the main reason I was staying away from them)

See attachment from Davy stockbrokers. Obviously Davy act as Stockbrokers for IRES soo DYOR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

ISEQ holding up remarkably well over past few weeks despite fairly serious turmoil in US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

bcklschaps wrote: »
    ISEQ holding up remarkably well over past few weeks despite fairly serious turmoil in US.

Iseq is skewed towards Banking, Insurance, Property all of which are interrelated and are on the up now coming out of Covid, along with Asset price inflation, and another Irish property Boom they are now cheap in comparison to all other sectors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Green Penguin

Anyone invested in VR Education,? small Waterford based outfit but announced some pretty impressive contract wins recently.

Iseq is skewed towards Banking, Insurance, Property all of which are interrelated and are on the up now coming out of Covid, along with Asset price inflation, and another Irish property Boom they are now cheap in comparison to all other sectors

Correct. This has kept the ISEQ fairly insulated from mad swings in the US.

Update on my own portfolio in the last couple of weeks I bought into

CRH at €39

Hoping Biden infrastructure spending will boost CRH.

IRES at €1.63

Hoping the termination of the outsourcing contract with CAPREIT will boost IRES profits considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

Holding CRH myself - took a nice bounce this morning after share buyback was announced. Onwards from here hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Kilough wrote: »
    Holding CRH myself - took a nice bounce this morning after share buyback was announced. Onwards from here hopefully!

CRH announced a share buyback in March, was there another announcement this morning, nice increase whatever the reason

bcklschaps wrote: »

I'll reply to my own post of a Month ago. This has turned out to be soo prophetic. US Stock market (up until Friday) is really in the toilet. I have had to jump out of once promising positions because I don't let losses mount. (my cut off is usually if a share position goes -20%).

Meanwhile my ISEQ portfolio is chugging along nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Yeah US tech is having a torrid spell atm sold out most, banks are making some ground have added BOA start of the year.
    On the irish market picked up BOI on its dip this week should see more growth in the future imo

Can't find the post (thanks to Boards re-design). But whoever nudged me towards Glenveagh Homes a couple of months back. Thank you. Its been a nice winner ...bought in the €0.80's now at €1.08 and flying and even looks like it will benefit from Government housing policy to boot 🥾

They will be starting regular dividend soon and talk of a large one off dividend/cash redistribution on the grapevine also. Happy days 😁

Soo this cash redistribution looks like its going ahead (vote next month). Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems a no brainer, MALIN will simply buy back your shares for €8.30 sometime next year... I bought some more this morning on the ISEQ for €6.70

Post edited by littlevillage on

Gone very quiet on this thread..

Anybody in on any of the value plays here of the banks/dalata etc?

Apologies, meant to update on this. Soo it didn't turn out to be the windfall that I thought. Malin only bought back 22% of individuals holdings. Soo made a nice profit on that bit of my holding, but now I am stuck with the remainder which is trading around €6 per share. Undecided on the next step here. In theory each Malin share is now worth 22% more (cause there are less of them) but I think I'll just wait and see for now

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm in all 3 Irish banks, Dalata, CRH, Malin, Cairn, Glenveagh, Kingspan, Kerry, Mincon, Kenmare and Providence.

Providence and Malin the only dogs... the rest are all very nicely in the green for me

Cairn flying today, up 8% in early trade based on very upbeat trading statement

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/cairn-homes-records-strongest-ever-performance-in-second-half-of-2021-41231578.html

FYI : I did my buying in back in 2020 and 2021, not looking to buy anything on the ISEQ at the moment. In fact (Malin aside), I have been selling recently... and focusing more on the US.

If I were buying though, it would be the banks and Dalata, exactly 👍

Post edited by littlevillage on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I'm tempted to take a punt on FBD Holdings... Can't base my decision on anything other than knowing they provide a good range of insurance services in Ireland and I'm a customer with positive experience in any of my dealings with them. Priced at 8.5 today. Over the past 5 years the price has ranged from a low of 6.36 to a high of 13.

Found them really good to deal with on a personal level, but wouldn't know their business well enough to advise on whether they are a good stock investment.

FBD should be a steady enough performer but wouldn't expect to be doubling my money on them. On a pe of round 8ish which looks about reasonable. Main issue I'd have on this one is that any real increase in profits will draw the ire of the media/politicians etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

AXA are targeting their core farming market very agressively

They started slowly in 2018 and last year got more aggressive in targeting the sector and they see it as a major growth area

This could see fbd's traditional stronghold get eroded

Glenveagh up 32% since I bought it

Ires up 20%

hibernia up 15%

ryanair up 13.5%

Glenveagh has been great. Looking forward to some kind of dividend too..... although I think they are more focused on share buybacks at the moment which has the effect of propping up the share price which is a more tax effecient method of putting money into shareholders pockets.

Once again kudos to whoever tipped me off to this company (thanked them already on this thread some months ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭carrickbawn

Whats happening with FBD. Iseq shows a 25% increase ar 1 stage today but no news on why this increase would be justified. And when you google their share price there is no significant change. What's going on there????

• Registered Users Posts: 81,179 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There was a High Court clarification on Friday of how the pubs should be compensated for disruption during Covid 19, I think that may have been responsible. I suppose it allows them to give a final calculation of impact in claims.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2022/0128/1276442-pubs-compensation/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭carrickbawn

Yes. I appreciate your response, but when I Google the share price I am still getting 8.45 on london and other indices.

Nothing on media about a huge price increase.

Advertisement