Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Any details yet on what exactly Fox have admitted to and what exactly they are now required to do (other than hand over the money)?

Will they have to make public statements during Prime-time shows explaining what they did wrong?

In short - Do we get to see Hannity/Carlson et al having to publicly admit to lying their assess off to their adoring audience???

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

huh, this autoplayed after a beau vid and I think I heard a nail hit a head at the end - that Fox, OAN etc. will still platform Trump etc. over election lies, but they will do it in a way where there is no victim by name like Smartmatic or Dominion, but simply 'democracy' which is intangible, not a person, and not someone who can claim injury or sue for defamation.

CNN anchor asks Dominion lawyer: Was Fox lawsuit about money or truth?

@Quin_Dub per video above there is no settlement stipulation for on air clarifications or mandated apologies.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Well, that's disappointing..I really wanted to see Carlson crawl , if only for a few moments.

Yeah, the language will change to "people are concerned" and "How do we restore confidence in the Electoral process?"

Completely ignoring that they are the ones that has destroyed that confidence in the first place.

Effectively, it will change back to what it always was: JAQing off and "many people are saying"

It's just that in the immediate aftermath of Joe Biden winning the election "from his basement etc" and getting so high on their own supply in the echo chamber for so long not seeing that coming from ten miles away, on a bicycle with finicky pedal clips, that they started to collectively have a PublicFreakout tm and started giving over to emotions and wants (QED: maintaining an audience base when your entire narrative that Biden was clearly prophesied to lose tanked like Daenerys Targaryen doing a flaming genocide, and wanting Trump to win the election).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

CNN points out, Murdoch's 'news of the world' phone hacking scandal has cost more (though, I don't think CNN adjusts the figures for inflation):

Especially inflation in the UK😛

At least News of the World went away as a result. Fox won't. Pity.

MTG gets sanctioned at committee, gets the remainder of her time and recognition revoked after baldly calling a sitting witness a liar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Didn't the Fox statement on the result include some line about "great that we have agreed to stand up for journalistic integrity" or some such other rubbish? Basically they have admitted nothing and will just pretend it never happened and if it did happen then they won.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

So here he is, the Donald, possibly the next US president, speaking about the homeless issue in the US.

Which is clearly an issue.

Anyway, a nod is made to Donalds brand of 'America first' isolationist-leaning outlook at about 1:15, mentioning the cost of fixing homelessness vs the costs of funding the Ukraine war.

Not unreasonable, a presidents first priority is to his/her own country. Im neutral on the guy by the way, before I start getting pigeon-holed, I see him firstly as a bottomless pit of laughs. But it does show, Europe can't depend on America as an ally as much as previously. They can go full 'America first' at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

"But it does show, Europe can't depend on America as an ally as much as previously. They can go full 'America first' at any time."

Agreed, this is my concern too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,111 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You can't be neutral on a guy like Trump. You either accept the horrible human being he is or you don't.

If you claim to be neutral what you are saying is that none of the stuff you know about him makes any difference to you.

In terms of homelessness, what did Trump do while he was POTUS? He increased military budget by 50bn, instead. That was his choice. But now he cares?

He gave massive tax cuts to the richest, he could have used that money to fight poverty.

I assume his plan to tackle homelessness will be published in the next two weeks, alongside his health care plan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users Posts: 28,165 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The first 1.20 of Trumps speech, if it had been spoken by someone else, was not unreasonable. Unless you think that people should be sleeping and living on city streets, it is quite reasonable that some action should be taken to both take care of them and take care of the city.

However it was Trump speaking so the phrase 'we want to take care of them' has a whole different interpretation. Quite apart from the fact that, as has been said, he has already had one chance to help the homeless. This is just Trump making righteous noises.

Well then find some fuking proof.

My profile is about 5 years old.

If Ive mentioned the guy more than 3 times in as many years Id be shocked.

Prove it.

You easily triggered ideologue.

What makes you "neutral" on him as a matter of interest ?

Are you neutral on him from a policy perspective or from a personal one?

People claiming "neutrality" on someone so utterly polarising is hard to reconcile for most people.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,137 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

For the Four years of his reign homeless figures actually rose.

Go pull the other one you orange buffoon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Homelessness was better under Trump than under Biden , of course that will be ignored.

The worst homelessness in America is concentrated in Democrat run cities , that will also be ignored because echo chambers only give people information they want to hear and shield them from info they don't want to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Come back to us after you've worked out the increase in those numbers under Trump versus Biden.

It looks like there was a 30,000 increase under Trump's 4 years of 2017-2020 versus a 2,000 increase in Biden's 2 years.

To present that as homelessness was better under Trump cannot be reconciled with the data.

Desperate fail at misrepresenting statistics when anyone who looks closely at them can see how after a decline under Obama it increased noticeably under Trump.

Homelessness got a lot worse under Trump than under Biden.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

As you can clearly see, the numbers are worse under Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

"The worst homelessness in America is concentrated in Democrat run cities".

How are you showing that the cities are "democrat-run" in that graph? It's OK, you don't need to answer, I know the post is just mindlessly repeating something read on the internet. Again.

Is it surprising that the majority of homeless people are in cities? It is, after all, where the people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Rawr

To echo Quin_Dub, it's the whole "Neutral" position that sets off a lot of alarms and could make some assume that you are actually a closeted Trump fan.

Like with Quin, I am curious of how anyone can take a Neutral position with Trump. It's almost akin to taking a neutral position with the Ukraine war. A person is either ok with Russian invasion, or opposed to it. Being Neutral is almost the same as being OK with it. Not supporting the Russians, but not condenming the actions either.

With Trump, it appears that people are OK with the damage he's done to the political process or they are not. If he was unproven in office, it might have been easier to imagine a neutal "let's wait and see" stanse on Trump. But now we know what he's like in the White House and now we know how much damage he is willing to do if his ego is not satisfied.

Do please enlighten us. I am anti-Trump, but am genuinly curious to see how a person neutral to Trump views all of this.

Biden doubled the housing budget to 8 billion and homelessness is still worse than it was under Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

No, the numbers were worse under Trump because they got far worse on his watch.

Homelessness was dropping under Obama and when did it start to jump? When Trump was elected.

SO that shoots down your theory about Democratic cities.

Homelessness got a lot worse under Trump than under Biden. As you can clearly see. Any other spin on the data is completely disingenuous.

There was a 30,000 increase under Trump's 4 years of 2017-2020 versus a 2,000 increase under Biden's 2 years.

More people were being added to homeless lists under Trump than Biden, and had Trump stayed in office that trend clearly shows there would be more homeless than on Biden's watch.

You're ignoring the massive increase in homelessness under Trump yet pretending to care about homelessness? Totally without foundation.

Trump put more people on the streets.

There was a 30,000 increase under Trump's 4 years of 2017-2020 versus a 2,000 increase in Biden's 2 years.

It's clear who made homelessness worse and it wasn't Biden or Obama. Homelessness was falling under Obama and Biden is recovering the situation from how much worse Trump made it.

All of what?

I only ever watch the guy for comedy if he happens to pop up in the news. I see the guy as the basis of the southpark mr garrison character, and little else.

He happens to be useful to me in my European politics on this occasion.

We cant rely on the American electorate to consistently not elect a president who might lean in a more isolationist direction. That could be the next president or the one after, or the one after. Its not restricted to 1 character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

See Trump is starting to backpedal on abortion as the numbers don't support the position:

Advertisement