Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This VP will likely be one of the mob. This time round Trump wouldn't feel he needs a centrist Republican alongside.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

I don't think anyone outside the mob would be willing to do it. He had a hard enough time finding someone willing to do it the first time around. I'm sure he'd rather not even have a running mate, as he doesn't want someone else involved that might take some of the credit away from him if he wins. But with the way US elections are structured that isn't an option.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Given the people that are supposed to be on his short list , he won't have any issues getting any of them to say yes.

Apparently he wants to have a female VP so the current list includes

• Sarah Huckabee Sanders
    • MTG
    • Kristi Noem
    • Nikki Haley
    • Kari Lake

Hard to see how any of those broaden the appeal of the ticket really.

Although Kari Lake has apparently ruled herself out because "She cannot run for VP whilst being Governor"

So, she seems sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Marjorie Taylor Greene or Kari Lake, I'd say. Trump is never going to accept anyone who doesn't completely and fully agree with election denial, how Trump is a gift from God himself, how every single legal case against Trump is corrupt FBI etc etc. Also been claims he's looking for a female VP who can strongly debate/argue on TV.

Trump has nothing but his base, and at this stage is never going to be able to appeal to anyone outside his base. He's going to aim at mobilising his followers in the swing states and trust that there's enough GOP voters in all states who'll just vote for the GOP candidate anyway, even if they don't like him or his VP pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Kari Lake isn't actually a Governor though... she has a different form :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agreed - That's why it was so important that none of the real nutters won key roles in the swing states (despite what Kari Lake thinks).

Can you imagine the absolute catastrophe if Kari Lake was in charge in Arizona for example??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Marjorie Three Names would be my guess too.

She would do anything for him. Here she is, grabbing Trump by the *****

Lake is just continuing the grand MAGA tradition of just pretending like you won when you lose.

The fact Trump may want to keep MTG in Congress to be on committees etc as one of his acolytes makes me inclined to believe it could be Kari Lake as Trump's pick for VP. Though that might not make MTG happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I actually nearly went back and added ‘other’ myself. I don’t get the giving politicians money thing, I get why corporations do it but if a TD asked me for money they’d get the slap they deserve. They follow politics in the US in a very peculiar way and it’s not healthy for a country to hoist their politicians so high up or to push them so far down.

Indeed , it's always been something I could never understand.

I'm interested in Politics and read a lot about it , but the idea of attending a rally or putting up flags,stickers etc. in support of a candidate or party is just really really weird.

Outside of an Ard Fheis, it's unimaginable for a Politician here to get a crowd of several hundred to turn up to hear them speak.

You could have a large protest rally where a politician might be a speaker , but the idea of going somewhere specifically to hear a candidate speak is just very very cultish.

The only problem there being that he'd have to convince her to stop pretending that she was Governor of Arizona. Although I suppose while I believe there is a law in Arizona that prohibits the Governor from running for other office, I'm pretty sure there isn't one prohibiting someone from pretending they're Governor while running for another office. 🙂

It's why I always find it hilarious that half the time Trump is criticised, or even just to try and deflect from Trump's actions, rather than defending Trump his followers will throw out "What about Clinton? What about Biden? What about Obama?"

As if non-Trump followers are automatically huge Biden/Clinton/Obama fans. I could have easily gone to see Biden in a few places when he was over here in the last few weeks. Did I bother my arse? No. Couldn't give a f*ck. There was a chance of rain, and it was an old guy waving at people.

Likewise, I wouldn't have gone out to protest Trump either if he was the one visiting. I wouldn't do either for our own actual politicians.

There's a huge difference between discussing things on the internet, and the type of people who spend hours travelling, waiting in line, at a rally, decked out in Trump gear. It's such a bizarre mentality.

I made that point too here before.

I even hate the phrase "chip in". Chip in? **** Off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Hoop66

There're few countries where the amount of money you can raise is as important as it is in the US. That might be why there's so much of that bullshit.

Here, and in the UK, the party a prospective TD/MP is standing for would normally cover the election expenses, wouldn't they?

To hear some of the US news on elections, they might as well just count up the money each candidate raises and not bother with a vote.

That's the core issue though.

Politics is bought and paid for in the US and it's all right there in the open.

You have an entire industry (lobbyists) whose sole function is to spend money to buy the influence of Politicians, that is just fundamentally wrong.

It's an utterly broken and corrupt system from the ground up.

Here in Ireland , the maximum any one person can donate is €6,350 per party and €2540 per candidate in a calendar year.

There are also maximums that can be spent on a campaign based on the seat you are standing for.

Running for the Dail you can spending the following :-

5 Seat Constituency - €45,200

4 Seat Constituency - €37,650

3 Seat Constituency - €30,150

Everyone can get €8700 of that back through reimbursement (the "deposit" as was).

For Local Council elections it runs from €9750 to €13,00 depending on the size of the district.

It has always been bad, but the Citizens United decision (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._FEC) that basically declared money spent on political campaigns to be speech protected by the First Amendment took the corruption up several orders of magnitude. Now corporations in the US can just funnel a virtually unlimited amount of money into politicians legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I presume they are from the Russia doll collection and the one they promoting is the “smallest” one.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

3.3 Million views in under 24 hours. 280K likes to 9.5K likes. His popularity is back on the up. YouTube might remove the podcast like they did last time because he left are anti free speech and pro censorship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,258 ✭✭✭✭looksee

3.3 Million views in under 24 hours. 280K likes to 9.5K likes. His popularity is back on the up.

I imagine most of those were people falling about laughing (or crying) and saying 'look how the Orange one is promoting himself now!'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Tiny numbers. It’s hardly surprising a fanboy of his has a massive victim complex. What happened to the crowd constantly bleeting on about snowflakes this and that being the biggest sensitive triggered melts going. How many people has Donnie tried to silence throughout his life, he’s only for free speech if it suits him, like the rest of his cult. And censorship lol how many books have the right banned in the US schools lately. You can’t pick and choose which parts you like and dislike unless you’re a massive hypocrite with zero self awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It constantly amazes me that people still don’t know what free speech means and bandy it around every time someone suffers consequences of their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They like to think it means freedom from consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Lol rookie numbers.

Mr Beast going to win the nomination you think?

A whole new batch of fools scratching their heads in November 2024, “how did we lose to Biden AGAIN didn’t they see his slow YouTube view count!!!!”

• Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The pushback against the extremist right is being seen in activism at local level:

This is the ground war that defeats Trump and his followers.

Well like I said, in 2016, when I did the calculus, if a Republican didn't win, the SCOTUS would lose its ideologically conservative slant for the first time in a generation. Instead it's now firmly conservative for perhaps another generation.

The SCOTUS was already supposed to have issued a ruling about the Mifepristone FDA approval being blocked by a texas judge. That ruling was supposed to happen Wedneday, 2 days ago.

Samuel Alito extended that by 2 days to hold off publishing a decision until:

Tonight, Friday, at 11:59 PM.

Of course that's when you publish the best, wonderful news.

It's gonna be bad folks and it's another told you so over how important the 2016 election would turn out to be, an election majorly overshadowed by the death of Antonin Scalia. I don't think Trump would have had the turnout otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,258 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The pushback against extremists and the success of Democrats (who spent $300,000 on the elections) is all well and fine but in the end it is still a case that school boards are still a political exercise and depend on who can spend the most money. What does that have to do with education?

Audio from a donor retreat of Republicans last Saturday (namely, Cleta Mitchell, a Trump coup attorney) strategizing how to suppress the college vote for 2024

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Apparently you don't know your left from your right. Trump and the Republicans are the biggest snowflakes out there. Google "Trump and Chrissy Teigan" to start with and you might learn something new.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement