Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

everlast75 wrote: »
    Saying goodbye to Lou, in the only way that's appropriate..

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1358936400213643265?s=19

It's impressive how he managed to remain so impartial during his time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

What's the betting that the focus on all Republican contributions throughout the senate trial will be that it is unconstitutional to impeach a removed President.
    They can pin use this to both profess their undying faith in the Constitution of the United States of America, and to absolve them from not voting to impeach.

And once he is voted to not be impeached with this logic, his supporters and media will use it to say that he has been absolved entirely.

There's something depressingly inevitable about it.

It seems the constitutionality will be voted on today. (this apparently only requires a simple majority)
    The initial presentation is pretty damning (which we all knew it would be).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Tippex wrote: »
    It seems the constitutionality will be voted on today. (this apparently only requires a simple majority)
    The initial presentation is pretty damning (which we all knew it would be).

Yeah, I'm thinking that it will be passed that it is constitutional to impeach him. But they won't have the numbers to actually impeach him in the trial itself.

Neguse is a good speaker. Better than Raskin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Even the GOP aren't claiming he is innocent. They are claiming that its too late, or failing that it doesn't matter, or if it does matter its time to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Is it not a win win situation for Donald Trump?

Democrats won't get the votes and he walks with his full pension and perks in place.

Its a badly needed victory for Donald trump after a hard few months and can be presented to his followers as such.

I'm failing to see how he doesn't walk away the winner from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭threeball

First time I've seen the full extent of the capitol riots. Fairly shocking stuff. If that happened in Eastern Europe the yanks would be crowing about the fall of democracy and wanting to send some troops to restore it. Now half of them think its justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Democrats won't get the votes and he walks with his full pension and perks in place.

Its a badly needed victory for Donald trump after a hard few months and can be presented to his followers as such.

It's about more than Trump. GOP senators will have to nail their flags to the mast one way or the other. Whatever way they vote will be used against them in the next elections (mid-terms for some, 2024 for others). They risk either losing part of their own base, or losing independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭bewareofthedog

This is one for the 'Both sides are as bad as each other' advocates.

Genuinely vomit inducing.

RAiNClr.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If this was the case, the GOP wouldn't be trying so hard to shut it down. This allows all the dirty laundry, all the crackpot ideas to be spouted, and the GOP senators then have to vote for it, and then live with voting for it personally and electorally for the rest of their days.

They will be those that voted to allow insurrection, voters won't be allowed to forget that.

trump is a spent force, even a re-run would probably lead to a worse result against Biden, if he even lives that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

astrofool wrote: »
    If this was the case, the GOP wouldn't be trying so hard to shut it down. This allows all the dirty laundry, all the crackpot ideas to be spouted, and the GOP senators then have to vote for it, and then live with voting for it personally and electorally for the rest of their days.

They will be those that voted to allow insurrection, voters won't be allowed to forget that.

trump is a spent force, even a re-run would probably lead to a worse result against Biden, if he even lives that long.

Yes I agree with you it's a nightmare for the GOP senators 100 percent.

But would you not agree that Donald trump is going to come out of this in a much stronger position than he went in?

His followers will see it as a victory against the Democrats and twice they tried to get him twice he's proved they were wrong?

With to regards to wether he's a spent force in politics I personally agree with you at this current moment but do the 74 million Americans who voted for him agree?

Yes I agree with you it's a nightmare for the GOP senators 100 percent.

But would you not agree that Donald trump is going to come out of this in a much stronger position than he went in?

His followers will see it as a victory against the Democrats and twice they tried to get him twice he's proved they were wrong?

Not really, he's ending his presidency with scandal. Public opinion towards him is worse than ever and in general, people will continue to view him as egging on the coup. He won't be running in 2024 for the GOP and he won't win as an independent. So he's not going to be president again.

With to regards to wether he's a spent force in politics I personally agree with you at this current moment but do the 74 million Americans who voted for him agree?

One in three Republicans believe that the election was fair, i.e. one in three Republicans think that Trump is a compulsive liar, and that number is growing with time now that Republicans have had had time to think for themselves. So, yes Trump is a spent force.

https://morningconsult.com/form/tracking-voter-trust-in-elections/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

One in three Republicans believe that the election was fair, i.e. one in three Republicans think that Trump is a compulsive liar, and that number is growing with time now that Republicans have had had time to think for themselves. So, yes Trump is a spent force.

https://morningconsult.com/form/tracking-voter-trust-in-elections/

It's literally not my opinion. I provided the source, namely a survey from an ongoing research project.

It's literally not my opinion. I provided the source, namely a survey from an ongoing research project.

I see nothing in that source, claiming one in three republicans think Trump is a compulsive liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Impeachment, impeachment trial, a second impeachment, and another impeachment trial.

All with no outcome, no substantive effect.

No future president has anything to fear with impeachements.

I see nothing in that source, claiming one in three republicans think Trump is a compulsive liar.

He tweeted that the election was rigged, that he would have won if the election was fair etc. You cannot believe that the election was fair without also believing that he is a compulsive liar.

• Advertisement

Impeachment, impeachment trial, a second impeachment, and another impeachment trial.

Do you have tomorrow's lotto numbers handy?

Do you believe any past president did?

He tweeted that the election was rigged, that he would have won if the election was fair etc. You cannot believe that the election was fair without also believing that he is a compulsive liar.

In your source, one in three of all voters also believe that the election was not free and fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

In your source, one in three of all voters also believe that the election was not free and fair.

Yeah because they were dumb enough to believe a compulsive liar.

Yes, and what does that have to with what you said about compulsive lying? Or have you decided to completely change the topic?

https://twitter.com/jchaltiwanger/status/1359271668544393216?s=20

The impeachment was worth it for that alone then so

Yes, and what does that have to with what you said about compulsive lying? Or have you decided to completely change the topic?

One in three of all voters, Trumps your claims of one in three of republicans. :p

One in three of all voters, Trumps your claims of one in three of republicans. :p

What is the point you are trying to make? Someone asked if Trump is done in politics, I pointed out that yes he is because roughly one third (32%) of republicans don't trust him. I'm not sure what the opinions of Americans as a whole has to do with the question that was asked.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1359266906574880773?s=19

I have that quote from Mortal Kombat in my head...

"Finish him!"

• Advertisement

What is the point you are trying to make? Someone asked if Trump is done in politics, I pointed out that yes he is because roughly one third (32%) of republicans don't trust him. I'm not sure what the opinions of Americans as a whole has to do with the question that was asked.

My point is, I think your wrong, and proven by the source you linked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement