Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Do you have a widely accepted definition of a cult and evidence to back it up? /S

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

That's definitely a weakness of the US system. This binary approach is toxic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You earlier said that you believed he was the better choice because of Biden's "open borders" and that you were sick of the "woke" stuff?

So like I said - support for his views on Brown people and the LGBTQ community.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You have no idea about my "position". I haven't offered any opinion about Trump and/or fascism.

You stated that the article was an "informed piece". I simply quoted verbatim from the "informed piece". Those quotes represent the opinion of the author of the "informed piece" regarding Trump. You say it is "realistic". I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

F*cking lol.

I give you the decency of showing you how I read your article, yet despite being asked numerous times, you steadfastly refuse to engage back by answering my very simple, polite request:, "Please show the class what you define fascism as". Not an article on how Trump isn't a fascist (even though the article shows he is, as I have pointed out - Just not a very good one).

It's like asking a kid to point out a picture of a dog, and he points to a cat and says, "well, this is not a dog".

You have now proven to me anyway that you have no idea what fascism is. You know it's bad, so you can't publicly say you're in favour of fascism, and therefore your dear leader can't possibly be fascist.

Get out of here with that codology, you're fooling no-one. Thank God our education system in Ireland is so far better than anything America produces, or we could sleepwalk into where they are.

When you want to discuss something you can prove you know about, fire ahead, until then, good night.

Edit: Dunno why, but I just went to look for my old sparring partner RapidAsh, but their profile has been deleted. I wonder are they back…?

• Advertisement

@concerned_tenant

One more question, why do you insist on having an incorrect bastardisation of a quote in your sig? I mean, I'm not going to give you the benefit of doubt here that you didn't know that as I've seen another poster point it out.

The actual quote is, “Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity. For the crowd believes that if it cannot see to the bottom of something it must be profound. It is so timid and dislikes going into the water.”

It's actually so well known people do those motivational pictures with it

The actual quote can also be quite apt for Trump.

“Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity." Trump has never been clear. Even today he did a u-turn on what he'll do with contraceptives.

"Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity." And we all know, Trump sees himself as the cleverest man, the most profound, everyone should look up to him in the room. Even when there's actual experts in the room, he refuses to defer to their expertise. "Maybe we could shine a light, or inject bleach into us. It's a good idea" What Trump is striving for is the obscurity of facts. Don't mistake this as plain English where Nietzsche is saying, "Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity (for themselves)"

"For the crowd believes that if it cannot see to the bottom of something it must be profound." And this is the nub, isn't it? If Trump muddies the water so much, that you can no longer see whats going on, well, that must be great. Trump (more than likely someone like Steve Bannon) is a genius at throwing sh*t non-stop to muddy waters. And his followers lap it all up. As has been pointed out,

Trump is a hateful , horrible excuse for a human being with nothing close to a redeeming feature who would happily burn the world to the ground as long as he got what he wanted out of it.

We can sit here and dance on the head of a pin arguing whether it is more accurate to call him a Fascist or an Autocrat or a Dictator or whatever you like but it doesn't change the core facts.

He's a criminal, a scam artist , a serial adulterer and a sexual assaulter worthy of nothing but scorn and vilification.

Can you disagree with any of that? But let's be realistic here. If that had been any other politician in the last 50 years, they would be long gone. Definitely not up for re-election as president anyway!

"It is so timid and dislikes going into the water.”

They are really, aren't they? No-one likes to do their homework, and no-one likes to read links that informs them that their dear leader, is a fascist and that they themselves possibly may be a little more fascist than they thought they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

….

• Registered Users Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Is this the new level Trump supporters have gotten to?

Yes he is a terrible person, sexual assaulter, attacks democracy etc etc etc.

But...calling him a fascist, which incidentally most people don't and the MSM certainly rarely label him as such, is a step too far and I must support him to stop this terrible injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭combat14

looks like trump is after getting a major boost just before his court ruling too

Nikki Haley says she is voting Trump for president

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ck77rvmp8xno

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Another trump supporter who didn't read beyond the headline

• Advertisement

It has nothing to do with the binary system. It's about making sure everyone bends the knee to trump.

Don't try and "both sides" this.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Amazing how so many women will endorse and vote for a rapist who wants to take away the reproductive rights of women and boasts about it at his rallies that he got Roe vs.Wade overturned.

I think it's fair to say they're terrified of him. Justifiably so.

Post edited by Flaneur OBrien on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Opposed the equality act, joked about Mike Pence hanging gay people, banned transgender people from the military, started rolling back discrimination protections. Tbh, it's a pretty long list so I've included a pretty lengthy summary. Now I'm pretty sure you're gonna declare as a gay person, you're fine with all of this and you've made it clear that you very much so favour targeting trans people.(Or you'll go the route of saying LGB to avoid admitting their part of the community)

https://www.hrc.org/news/the-list-of-trumps-unprecedented-steps-for-the-lgbtq-community

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Pretty sure he has said he's gay on his previous account.

I can't be expected to give my opinion on 30 - 40 policies at the same time.

But the article is clearly very, very biased.

On the Trump comment regarding Mike Pence; it is well-established that Pence is an evangelical Christian who takes his faith very seriously — and so Trump made a joke that, "Don’t ask that guy—he wants to hang them all!” — exaggerating Pence's hard-line Christian attitude. I personally find that joke funny. It's a joke for God's sake. Not everything has to be taken literally or seriously all the time when it comes to Trump.

Second, the article mentions, "kicked people living with HIV out of the military because of their status". Approximately half the number of total HIV cases are gay / bisexual people; the other half are straight. This isn't an "anti-gay" position. You can disagree with the policy, but it's not a specific "anti-gay" policy.

It also mentions, "HHS created a new office whose sole purpose would be to defend physicians and other medical professionals who decide to refuse care" based on their religious beliefs. I can only speak for myself, but I would rather be treated by a doctor that wanted to treat me rather than by a doctor that is uncomfortable treating me.

I can go through others, but you'll have to mention which. I'm sure there are some on that list that I personally disagree with, and others I agree with. I loathe the catch-all label, "anti-LGBTQIA" — it is unspecific and it doesn't outline the full nature of the policy in question. I would rather assess the policy for myself and come to my own conclusions rather than uncritically responding like an automaton that a policy is "anti-LGBTQIA".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Aside from the obvious gutlessness of this announcement the reasons she gives are just so unbelievably laughable .

Mr Biden, she said, oversaw a "debacle" in Afghanistan, "did nothing to deter the invasion" of Ukraine and, most recently, "threw Israel to the wolves".

"As a voter, I put my priorities on a president who's going to have the backs of our allies and hold our enemies to account, who would secure the border, who would support capitalism and freedom, who understands we need less debt not more debt," she said.

"Trump has not been perfect on these policies but Biden has been a catastrophe. So I will be voting for Trump."

Trump will "have the backs of our allies and hold our enemies to account?"

Really???

Is Nikki sure that the people Trump considers Allies & Enemies in places like Ukraine are the same as everybody elses?

"We need less debt not more debt"

Again - Trump will lower the debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I thought I had dreamt that bit about "having the back of our allies", the same guy who said if a country hadn't paid their dues to NATO he would let another country invade them?

I have to ask, what the hell happened to Nikki Hailey? Someone who was defiant and likable and people were still voting for her in primaries even after she stepped back to turn into someone not kissing the ring she's blowing smoke up it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

She knows at this stage there's pretty much no chance of any SCOTUS or legal case stopping Trump from running in November. So as is usual with the GOP, if there's no benefit to acting like you're part of the solution, be part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭accensi0n

The popular vote is going to be at least 55% to Biden this time, no question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,397 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That was at least 2 accounts ago. Obviously has become straight for this one. Next one might be trans.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Before 2016, polling showed Clinton ahead of Trump — and Trump still won.

Today, Trump is leading Biden before the election itself — latest polling:

Former President Trump is leading President Biden across multiple swing states by 4 points, according to a survey released this week.

The Bloomberg/Morning Consult poll found that in a hypothetical rematch between Trump and Biden across seven battleground states — including Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — the former president brought in 48 percent of the vote to Biden’s 44 percent.

The results are similar to those from a recent poll from The New York Times, which found Trump ahead of Biden by 3 percentage points in Pennsylvania, 5 points in Michigan, 7 points in Arizona, 10 points in Georgia and 12 points in Nevada.

Most importantly, perhaps, is this:

Roughly 51 percent of registered voters in the survey said the economy was more robust under the former president. About 36 percent of voters said it was “better off” under Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,397 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

She lost. Only options are for her to retire from politics and flee or submit to Lord Donnie the Great.

Trump, expert in debt.

Multiple bankrupt, despite claims of being a financial genius.

Ran up the deficit manyfold despite campaigning on halving it.

Trump, friend to allies.

Vowed to shaft those who didn't contribute to the UN.

Happy to throw Ukraine to the Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I'm 100% sure, all the key markers are pointing that way. I'm hearing there's some discontent forming even amongst hardline trump supporters too.

But almost all polls consistently show Trump leading the way.

This, despite all the court cases and legal challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,331 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I asked you to list any policy of Trumps and you couldn't do that. Couldn't give us 1, never mind 30/40.

Yeah but the trial against him will be over in a week or two. Declaring allegiance now, which is what she has basically done achieves nothing for her. Why not just keep schtum until the verdict comes in?

All Trump's policies regarding migration I fully support.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement