Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Rawr

God, I can already imagine the dimwitted speeches too:

Trump: You know; they had a sign up in New York….not many people know this….they had a sign….and it said "No Dogs…and No Irish"…..It's true….it said "No Dogs…and No Irish"…and it was everywhere, on all the doors in New York City. Even on Trump Tower, which was the tallest building in Manhatten at the time….so tall…so strong….

In fact it was so tall that when General Lee came to the tower one faithful day and said with tears in his eyes: "Me boys…this is ye largest of towers Me Boys…ye largest and strongest"

But the Irish should thank me. I have a Golf course there….amazing…wonderful…it gives jobs to half of Ireland…it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭Christy42

True but he is also a Christian family man who has cheated on multiple wives. I am not sure his supporters will ever see his failures as failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Alibaba

I only hope we're never invaded by Russia.

You can imagine him telling Putin you can take the entire country if you just stay away from Doonbeg !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ex-press secretary SHS under scrutiny for misspent state funds and a coverup attempt to hide from an audit. Srsly, 20k for a lectern?

https://archive.is/E4paR

The best people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,177 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Oh, his supporters will accept anything he tells them , but he needs the undecided and the Independents and they are the ones he's considering here.

The MAGAs literally don't care what he says or does , they will support him regardless.

Hopefully she doesn't follow Bill's career trajectory.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Stanley 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Poon Tang

What are the total numbers of MAGA would you say?

It's hard to imagine that he would even still be in the running, never mind polling as favourite, if he mostly just had MAGA support? Surely his appeal is much wider than this right now?

My experience of watching US elections over the years, is that the average American does not like weakness in their leaders. Whatever you want to say about Trump and his failings, he does come across as being far more self confident and strong than Biden, who is looking frail and weak by comparison.

These might be superficial things on the face of it, but I think the average voter in America can be somewhat superficial in their voting preferences. It's very hard for the dems to make Biden look strong and assertive at this point, as his public image is kind of ruined with all the gaffs and blooper reels out there in social media land…

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭randomuser02125

Ha ha ha. Self confident and strong? Oh my sides. Only in the mind of Trumpanzees. If you can't see that Tiny is a weak, weak man who can't take an ounce of criticism I simply don't know what to say. The story below is truer today than it ever was.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/donald-trump-the-most-unmanly-president/612031/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

As a % of the overall voter base , the hard core MAGA's are probably 10-15% overall but they are 40%+ of the GOP base.

That gives them an outsized influence in the process of choosing who gets to run for election so all the GOP reps are terrified of them as if you get on their wrong side you get primaried and lose out.

The US electorate is probably split something like 40:40:20 in terms of GOP, Democrat and Independent voters so to win a National election you need to get all your sides vote plus more than half of the Independents.

That is Trump and the GOPs problem , the MAGA's have demanded more and more extreme positions to ensure their support in the GOP Primaries but those positions make it harder and harder to win over the Independents that are needed to actually win the election.

Trump is doubling down on those positions basically working on the premise and hope that he gets 100% turn-out from his zealots and that Independents and a chunk of Democrats don't bother to vote due to apathy with Biden and the general state of things, because he is certainly doing absolutely nothing to convince them to vote for him and not Biden.

That's why stuff like Abortion is such a problem for him as it offsets that potential apathy and makes it more likely those voters turn up and vote..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Juror No. 1 - the Irish guy - gets his news from … the Daily Mail.

American justice is fecked!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The previous users question is still valid though, despite what you saying about Trump being true.

Clearly Trump has support outside MAGA. Ignoring 3rd party candidates, and Don't Knows, and also ignoring states which don't matter electorally like California, Texas or NY, Donald Trump is polling at >50%, including in many of the crucial swing states where the election will be decided, so it is beyond his core MAGA vote.

So logically that is something to do with what Trump is bringing to the table or what Biden is (failing to) bring to the table.

I, and most of us, don't want it to be true, but clearly it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭randomuser02125

The poster declared Tiny as coming across as the stronger man. That is laughably incorrect to anyone neutral. Just ask the UN audience who laughed at him.

A sizeable percentage of Tiny's voters talk about Ukrainian Nazis, Democrats aborting babies at 39 weeks etc etc etc. So yes, there is a perception problem in how the 2 of them are viewed but it's not grounded in anything close to reality. I don't know how the Biden campaign overcome the poisoning of the American mind by the Bannons and Millers, I just hope they do. It's definitely going to involve women's rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,261 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

And you just know he would pronounce "ye" with a Y instead of a Th.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Alibaba

Think you have a promising future in the Ennis Politburo comrade.

On the DJT front, will they manage to get a jury selected by the end of the week?

For the Jury , they had burned through 50+ people to get the 7 they have and I think I saw that there were only 35 people left in the 1st Jury pool - I can't see them getting the additional 5 plus the 6 alternates from that group.

Not sure what happens when they run out of bodies - Assume they have another block of people in line , but there might be a delay getting them onsite for the selection process.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the break down. Perhaps the end of the month is more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

someone from Ireland made it onto the jury.

This is all Melanias fault anyway. The Donald had to go elsewhere to get his hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,338 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Trump annoyed that they can't just strike whoever they want from the jury.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trump-hush-money-trial-live-updates_n_6619742ee4b084e936f11ad0/liveblog_661fd079e4b0d6337658551f

Writing on Truth Social Wednesday, the former president complained that his team “only” has 10 preemptory strikes to use during jury selection, when he thought he would have as many as he liked.

“I thought STRIKES were supposed to be 'unlimited' when we were picking our jury? I was then told we only had 10, not nearly enough when we were purposely given the 2nd Worst Venue in the Country," Trump wrote. "Don’t worry, we have the First Worst also, as the Witch Hunt continues! ELECTION INTERFERENCE!”

While each side can object as much as they like, in theory, to a juror’s ability to be fair and impartial in the case and allow the judge to make the final call, they only have a set number of passes to wield without having to explain themselves. The prosecution team also has 10 preemptory strikes, and the same rules apply. If the attorneys were allowed unlimited strikes, jury selection might never end.

Apparently not being able to choose your own jury is election interference now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

If strikes were unlimited, there would be cases from Washington's time going on, still at the jury selection phase.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,046 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

The criminal hush money trial will consume 4 days per week for Trump. 7 jury members selected so far. Like his 3 earlier civil trials, which he lost, Trump is gagged so that he shall not use social media to threaten them or their families, or have his followers do so by proxy.

Perhaps by Monday or Tuesday the 12 member jury will have been selected, plus 6 alternates? It appears that Team Trump has exhausted all attempts to stall this criminal trial after 8 or more attempts?

Of course there is the filing for a day off for his son’s graduation 17 May, but the judge has not officially ruled on this pending trial progress.

Hopefully bias stealth jury members are discovered and eliminated before selection has been completed. It only takes one of 12 to hang a jury for a mistrial in criminal court, unlike Trump’s earlier 3 civil trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,338 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm sure from Trump's point of view, he should have unlimited strikes, but the prosecutors shouldn't have any strikes, because the prosecutors being allowed to strike out jurors is election interference. So Trump would just have to wait until they found at least 7 MAGA-jurors.

Also forcing Trump to be at the trial every day is election interference. Not giving him the day off to go to Barron's graduation (which he likely wouldn't have gone to anyway because it's not about him) is election interference. Having to go through security to get into the courtroom is probably election interference. Journalists reporting that he looked like he fell asleep is election interference. Basically, absolutely everything in the world ever is election interference.

Y'know, apart from what happened on Jan 6th, which was just a few people walking through the Capitol. That was completely innocent and fine and definitely not election interference by people trying to interfere with the certification of the election.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Think they had several hundred in reserve, but just dragged the first 96 in for the initial selection. Probably not an unusual number to drag into the court each week assuming there might be a couple of jury trials going on at the same time normally that would give them plenty to pick from for most cases... Just it being Trump they have more in the backup list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,046 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

There are approximately 1,694,250 citizens in Manhattan, NY. Less than half may be eligible to be called for jury duty. I would guess that there are over a half million that could be drawn from.

One of the potential jury members, who had been eliminated, was interviewed by CNN. She said that she did not know which trial she was being called for until she entered the Trump courtroom. There are other trials with jury selection needs ongoing. This suggests that the jury pools may be larger than reported by the media? And that for jury secrecy needs for the gag order Trump criminal trial, there may be more potential jurors to pull from than the 500 pool reported by the news media?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Unlikely to be any delay. I've gone through the process in both California and Texas, it's a bit different, but the end result is more or less the same. Bearing in mind that folks need to arrange time off work, childcare, etc, potential jurors get notified many weeks in advance (and they also get the option to defer once or twice). This means that the courthouses generally have to anticipate juror requirements on an average basis, and also tend to over-request jurors to make sure they have enough.

In California's case (Specifically Alameda County), I would show up to the courthouse and be put into a consolidated juror pool. One of the courts would send a message down saying "We need X many potential jurors" and numbers would be called to go to the court for juror selection. Eventually all the courts would say "we've enough for today, thanks", and anyone left in the consolidated pool would be sent home (and they are safe from future call-ups by the same jurisdiction for X many years….). I made it into a courtroom once, I ended up getting sent home from the consolidated pool twice.

In my Texas experience (Specifically Bexar county), we would have to call or check a website the night before reporting in, and then report directly to the specific courtroom. In this case, there is no consolidated jury pool physically in the building, instead the courtrooms themselves simply get a lot more jurors than they are likely to need for that particular day's proceedings. Jurors who are not needed are sent home once it is determined that they are not needed (Note, only if they are not needed. If the court just didn't get around to them yet, they come back the next day), and are safe from future call-ups by the same jurisdiction for X many years. I've only been called up once, they got barely a third the way through the pool before the rest of us were sent home.

Whichever method NY uses, it's presumably going to be some variation on one of the above, and either way, I don't think the wheels of justice are going to be held up by a lack of jurors awaiting the selection process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Interesting to see the stock is creeping up again, went from around 23 to almost 28.

Advertisement