Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is a pretend football country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭RedCardKid

Why doesn't the national team have a sponsor?

Genuine question, 3 had the gig for a good while.

Seems like no one wants to touch them since the whole JD tripe. Not exactly what you would want your brand connected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ligerdub wrote: »
    Would you by any chance support Liverpool?

No, he just loves beating that particular “drum” on this site. I don’t know if he’s “convinced” himself it’s true but he loves repeating it “ad naseum” nonetheless. Quotation marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fair play to the Norwegians fans.

They are going to vote on whether Norway should compete in the Qatar World Cup

Over 6 thousand migrant workers have died already in Qatar building stadiums etc for the World Cup

For those who aren’t aware Qatar is a human rights cess pit. Shocking conditions. Basically slave Labour.

The Qatar World Cup should be boycotted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Why doesn't the national team have a sponsor?

Genuine question, 3 had the gig for a good while.

It's not bad thing if you're a fan looking to buy a jersey. We're the only country that I'm aware of that supporters couldn't buy a jersey that was sponsor-less before now. International soccer teams play without sponsors -it's not a true replica if it has Opel, Eircom, or Three plastered across it.

As someone in their mid-30's I bought the new jersey for this reason. For the first time in my lifetime I can buy an Ireland jersey without a sponsor. So for the first time in nearly 20 years I bought a jersey even though Ireland have never been as poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

I wont be watching it. Have to draw the line with the cesspit that is modern football somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Fair play to the Norwegians.

Over 6 thousand migrant workers have died already in Qatar building stadiums etc for the World Cup

For those who aren’t aware Qatar is a human rights cess pit.

I got fair embarrassed when they didn't kneel last night... I know its only expected of us sort but we were effectively kneeling before them. Probably used to that type of thing over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Bambi wrote: »
    Another reason Irish soccer should be allowed to die a death, and end to the insufferable hipster bohs supporter :D

Bohs are basically an NGO at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

It's not bad thing if you're a fan looking to buy a jersey. We're the only country that I'm aware of that supporters couldn't buy a jersey that was sponsor-less before now. International soccer teams play without sponsors -it's not a true replica if it has Opel, Eircom, or Three plastered across it.

As someone in their mid-30's I bought the new jersey for this reason. For the first time in my lifetime I can buy an Ireland jersey without a sponsor. So for the first time in nearly 20 years I bought a jersey even though Ireland have never been as poor.

Snap

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

:eek:

are you fukin kidding me??? how come this isn't headline news?

shameful if true, shame on FIFA too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

fryup wrote: »

FIFA have no shame.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

FIFA don’t have any shame, only business plans. It’s an absolute disgrace they’ve been given the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

nullzero wrote: »
    FIFA have no shame.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they asked for the Norwegians spot if they boycott

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Link from the guardian but there’s lots of reports from various sites out there

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/feb/23/revealed-migrant-worker-deaths-qatar-fifa-world-cup-2022

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

begbysback wrote: »
    Wouldn’t be surprised if they asked for the Norwegians spot if they boycott

Thought Stephen Kenny made some good points about the tournament being hosted there. As did Toni Kroos.

Boycotting probably isn’t the way to go but the “issue”, itself, should be highlighted.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Fair play to the Norwegians fans.

For those who aren’t aware Qatar is a human rights cess pit. Shocking conditions. Basically slave Labour.

It ended up in Qatar because of money and politics, no other reason.

Not one fûck was given by anybody in that shîtshow FIFA about actual footballers, participating nations, or their supporters.. they fûcked league and cup competitions worldwide, clubs and players, football supporters under the bus completely going November to December to facilitate ‘Qatar’.

Just weeks prior to Christmas they figure football fans worldwide are going to jump on long haul flights spending thousands of euros, dollars, pounds supporting their teams just to suit Qatar ? Plus the politics of the situation?

Football and football supporters should be the foremost consideration.

If your climate does not suit the hosting of this tournament when it’s scheduled to be played which the Qatari one does not, June / July is plus 40 C often, then it’s not suitable location to host the tournament... poxy for players and supporters but fifa... rank corrupt shîtshow of an organization that it is, moves heaven and earth, fûcks supporters, players, football lovers under the bus en masse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Shouldn't the people who protest about Israel be up in arms about this?

Shouldn't the people who protest about Israel be up in arms about this?

To be honest, everyone should be. There is so much wrong with having it over there, the winter kick off being one, very small, example.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

To be honest, everyone should be. There is so much wrong with having it over there, the winter kick off being one, very small, example.

Yes I agree. There is nothing and I mean NOTHING right about it from a football perspective for having it there.

It’s pure and simply politics.... you’d have to wonder what was the catalyst for it. Fifa haven’t given too much of a fûck about football in the Middle East, so were they leaned on by the US ?

Strumms wrote: »
    Yes I agree. There is nothing and I mean NOTHING right about it from a football perspective for having it there.

It’s pure and simply politics.... you’d have to wonder what was the catalyst for it. Fifa haven’t given too much of a fûck about football in the Middle East, so were they leaned on by the US ?

I’d say it was just good old fashioned money. Like the way that FA Lord Triesman was “caught” saying the Spanish and Russians were out trying to bribe the refs in the 2010 World Cup so that Spain would, in turn, vote for Russia to host a future tournament.

There is massive amounts of bribery that goes on in soccer, particularly at World Cups. This stems from FIFA not paying the players directly. Instead they pay the associations and in some of the Mickey Mouse type places that money never goes past the blazers. This leaves the players open to bribery from gambling “interests” as they aren’t getting a bean from their associations and this would be big money for them, and their families.

Not hard to see the Qatar lads throwing money around, a few FIFA officials here and association members there.

Want a pint of beer in a hotel, 10-14 euros in Qatar...

Want a room ? 3 star can be 140 euros a night.

Some basic 4 stars over 240, that’s off peak times.

It’s simply a cod. FIFA just can’t be trusted, simply a big political and corrupt wañkfest.

No way should a World Cup be ever allowed to happen in November / December... every fûcking player, association, referee, whatever should have told them NO.

Anti football, anti fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Hopefully **** all fans go to it.

Hopefully **** all fans go to it.

if Ireland qualify ? I’d say you’ll have fûck all atmosphere, there won’t be many of us there...

Incidentally I had to laugh at the German National team protesting before a recent game, wearing anti Qatar pro human rights shirts, when every one of the fückers will be lining out in Qatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

maybe if covid lasts for another few years, the whole charade will go belly up...every cloud

2026, another political shîtshow thanks to FIFA...CANADA, MEXICO, USA....

US already hosted a fantastic World Cup. Canada has the infrastructure and facilities...

Yet the dîckheads in FIFA are burdening the football loving public, by hosting a tournament over two continents and three country’s instead of a country...scandalous and shows how completely out of touch they are with the average supporters of the sport they are supposed to be the gate keepers of...

Mexico City to Edmonton is about an 8 hour flight. Do supporters get compensated ? Nobody is hardly going to be able to follow their side around from venue to venue.... an 8 hour flights .. DUBLIN to Chicago is about 8 hours, that return flight 500 quid minimum... FIFA are such a shower of pricks it’s untrue, just political, trying to keep the politics of life massaged, happy.

Football and football supporters are the priority, not greasing the wheels of world politics. Pathetic.

I’m not of the mind as an Irish fan if we qualified to go, i was there in ‘94 but fûck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

US already hosted a fantastic World Cup. Canada has the infrastructure and facilities...

Yet the dîckheads in FIFA are burdening the football loving public, by hosting a tournament over two continents and three country’s instead of a country...scandalous and shows how completely out of touch they are with the average supporters of the sport they are supposed to be the gate keepers of...

Mexico City to Edmonton is about an 8 hour flight. Do supporters get compensated ? Nobody is hardly going to be able to follow their side around from venue to venue.... an 8 hour flights .. DUBLIN to Chicago is about 8 hours, that return flight 500 quid minimum... FIFA are such a shower of pricks it’s untrue, just political, trying to keep the politics of life massaged, happy.

Football and football supporters are the priority, not greasing the wheels of world politics. Pathetic.

I’m not of the mind as an Irish fan if we qualified to go, i was there in ‘94 but fûck that.

It's one continent. Mexico is in North America.

It's one continent. Mexico is in North America.

Yep, sure is, but that error aside the point still stands re: distance and potential burnden on the average fan, teams and officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This is not likely to be a problem for Irish fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Imagine it came down to the last game of the group, you are in Toronto on a Tuesday. If you win your next game is in new York on friday, if you draw its in Mexico city on Saturday and if you lose you are going home. It would be chaos

FIFA being loyal to political maneuvers in the dark having probably been lobbied to fûck by various governments... “ ohhh it’s important for political and social reasons in the area”..

Meanwhile the honest football fans don’t matter, they get fûcked under a bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I salute the Irish football team, they have taken this boycott thing seriously, not trying a leg in their 2 games so far.

Advertisement