Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Well that was quick!

The link on the Commission website to the EU Regulation implemeting the use of Artucle 16 of the Protocol no longer works.

Easy come, Von Der Leyen go?

This is all coming across as very incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I feel like there is something missing here because the 0 - 11 response from the EU in relation to this is very unusual for the EU, they're more often criticized for being too slow to react to something, so it's a strange how quickly this has gone to 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

The Regulation that never was?
    Daniel Schade @danieldschade
    This luckily hasn’t been published in the EU’s official journal yet. The fact that it’s also disappeared from the Commission website despite planned entry into force for tomorrow makes me think it never will-at least in its current form.

https://mobile.twitter.com/danieldschade/status/1355250986311430147

• Registered Users Posts: 67,285 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If you were Irish in GB, you could fume just as much. The simple fact of having an "EU" passport doesn't make you immune from the stupidity of Brexit, and this one event is a reminder to all who live in NI (and elsewhere) that NI does not benefit from the best of both worlds. It is still part of the UK, and there will be situations when it is treated as part of the UK ... unless the people there decide to review and revise that status.

Edit: it's also a convenient reminder to all who still believe that the EU is a slow-moving behemoth that it can and does act with remarkable speed when the need arises. A lesson that should not be forgotten by anyone who thinks that they can exploit apparent weaknesses in the new trading relationship with little risk to themselves or others.

It was obvious a long time ago that the Irish were going to be collateral damage, as you say. The stupid belief that the protocol and deal were going to save them was a stupid belief.
    Brexit is bad for this island, that never changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Unilaterally imposing vaccine controls in an attempt to divert attention from their spectacularly inept handling of the vaccine situation in the EU. After months of huffing and puffing the EU has come to the same conclusions as the rest of us in the world.
    the corrupt English kleptocrats have stolen hundreds of millions of vaccines from the EU thereby deliberately murdering tens or hundreds of thousands of innocent EU citizens - how should the EU have expected the British to act in such a perfidious manner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I feel like there is something missing here because the 0 - 11 response from the EU in relation to this is very unusual for the EU, they're more often criticized for being too slow to react to something, so it's a strange how quickly this has gone to 11.

Not that unusual, when the circumstances require it. When the Swiss voted to restrict freedom of movement, the EU response was fast and brutal. What's missing, as you say, is only the background info to which we are not (yet) privy, but you can be pretty damn sure that "Brussels" has found a suspiciously Brexity smoking gun - probably, given the timing, in the Astra Zeneca archives they've been going through this week.

Edit: my hunch - they found a delivery note for an early consignment of vaccine, supplied from the Belgian site, to a NI distributor amongst others. NI has quite a healthy pharma sector (I've been using some made-in-NI products in France this week).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I see all the EU skeptics have appeared just in time to declare this a "major blunder" by the EU.

It's inflammatory perhaps, but necessary given all the messing that's been going on with Astrazeneca.

They haven't "broken" the Brexit agreement, or otherwise overstepped the bounds.

Article 16 is designed to permit either side to take emergency action to protect economic or social interests, AND it triggers both parties to engage in discussions to rectify the problem.

In effect the EU are twisting Johnson's arm. The UK has so far refused to get involved in the Astrazeneca mess, presumably because it benefits the UK.

Now he has no choice but to get involved. Most likely the outcome will be an agreement to split delivery of vaccines more equitably between the UK and EU rather than the UK having their entire order fulfilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

fash wrote: »
    the corrupt English kleptocrats have stolen hundreds of millions of vaccines from the EU thereby deliberately murdering tens or hundreds of thousands of innocent EU citizens - how should the EU have expected the British to act in such a perfidious manner?

If van der layden and brussels want to act like tin pot dictator Idi Amin that`s up to them but blaming others for their own shortcomings does`nt cut it.

seamus wrote: »
    I see all the EU skeptics have appeared just in time to declare this a "major blunder" by the EU.

It's inflammatory perhaps, but necessary given all the messing that's been going on with Astrazeneca.

They haven't "broken" the Brexit agreement, or otherwise overstepped the bounds.

Article 16 is designed to permit either side to take emergency action to protect economic or social interests, AND it triggers both parties to engage in discussions to rectify the problem.

In effect the EU are twisting Johnson's arm. The UK has so far refused to get involved in the Astrazeneca mess, presumably because it benefits the UK.

Now he has no choice but to get involved. Most likely the outcome will be an agreement to split delivery of vaccines more equitably between the UK and EU rather than the UK having their entire order fulfilled.

So your view is that the commission has not shown themselves to be utterly incompetent today but rather are playing 4D chess?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭yagan

RobMc59 wrote: »
    If van der layden and brussels want to act like tin pot dictator Idi Amin that`s up to them but blaming others for their own shortcomings does`nt cut it.
    If the EU portion of vaccine went to the UK thanks to a bribe then the real question mark is over the trustworthiness of their output.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

So your view is that the commission has not shown themselves to be utterly incompetent today but rather are playing 4D chess?

Given it's not clear what has actually happened, then I'm not sure we can say either.

Most reporters who've been reporting on this have said they've received conflicting reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Not really. The EU has every right to be outraged at Astra Zeneca who have clearly not paid any heed to the provisions of their contract with the EU concerning supplying the EU with vaccine doses from production facilities in the UK, specifically set out in the contract, which also contains a declaration from AZ that they were not aware of any provision in any other contract that would inhibit or prevent them from performing their contract with the EU.

The EU has every right to prevent companies that it has contracts with from sending vacvine doses out if the EU until the doses they have contracted to supply to theEU have been supplied, and it has exempted most if its neighbours (with one obvious exception!) and ALL of the least-developed countries from this.

We're not talking about office supplies here. These are life-saving vaccines and AZ has screwed the EU over, with or without the participation of the UK.

The Commission has screwed up by invoking Article 16 of the NI Protocol without consulting Ireland even if it has got the legal power to deem this an emergency and do so (normally neither party can).

Judging by the reaction of the Irish government, and the disappearance of the proposed Regulation from websites, the screw up has been dealt with.

Now we sit back and see who takes responsibility...

I suppose it really depends on the details of the contracts signed between all the parties concerned, If Astrazeneca's legal team have screwed up by promising both parties the equivalent of over 100% of production then it's their mess to sort out.
    The EU throwing the toys out of the pram by demanding product that was already destined for another customer is simply not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I suppose it really depends on the details of the contracts signed between all the parties concerned, If Astrazeneca's legal team have screwed up by promising both parties the equivalent of over 100% of production then it's their mess to sort out.
    The EU throwing the toys out of the pram by demanding product that was already destined for another customer is simply not on.

Except that's not the case. The contract was made public today. Very reluctantly by AZ with good reason as it turns out.

Except that's not the case. The contract was made public today. Very reluctantly by AZ with good reason as it turns out.
    With huge (& important) sections redacted, what was in the blanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I guessed you missed the 5 years of nationalistic (English nationalism that is) rhetoric aimed at Ireland and EU up to and including a threat to starve Ireland and send in warships to shoot fishermen.

Now that the boot is on other foot your posts seem hysterical. You will find it hard to find many people in Ireland sympathetic to UK anymore. The amount of reputation and soft power damage done is incredible. Truly a nation led by donkeys.

I`d disagree with most of your post and despite my frequent `breaks` from this thread have been here for some time.

Don't we have a Commissioner? What is Mairead McGuinness's role here. Should she not be relaying back to Dublin what is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

With huge (& important) sections redacted, what was in the blanks?

I don't know because it was redacted. What was made public clearly shows that AZ's claim that they should supply the UK before the EU is not valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭squeekyduck

If you were Irish in GB, you could fume just as much. The simple fact of having an "EU" passport doesn't make you immune from the stupidity of Brexit, and this one event is a reminder to all who live in NI (and elsewhere) that NI does not benefit from the best of both worlds. It is still part of the UK, and there will be situations when it is treated as part of the UK ... unless the people there decide to review and revise that status.

Edit: it's also a convenient reminder to all who still believe that the EU is a slow-moving behemoth that it can and does act with remarkable speed when the need arises. A lesson that should not be forgotten by anyone who thinks that they can exploit apparent weaknesses in the new trading relationship with little risk to themselves or others.

We know that Brexit is a car crash,but we are where we are. It would still be wise for the EU, from a diplomatic point of view to treat NI as if it part of a United Ireland and get Dublin on board to resolve. Its a major EU muscle flex that the Brexiters are loving, especially the DUP!

When you've largely funded the development of said product under the stipulation that you receive priority access to it - access that is enshrined in contract, then I think some throwing toys out of the pram is justified.

• Advertisement

Don't we have a Commissioner? What is Mairead McGuinness's role here. Should she not be relaying back to Dublin what is going on?

Was thinking the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Jizique

She is in charge of financial services, nothing to do with this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭squeekyduck

Just because one criticises the EU does not make them EU sceptics!

Jizique wrote: »

It's your understanding that just the relevant Commissioner and the Commission President make a decision on something like this alone? That the rest of the Commission isn't involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Amirani wrote: »
    When you've largely funded the development of said product under the stipulation that you receive priority access to it - access that is enshrined in contract, then I think some throwing toys out of the pram is justified.

But that isn’t what happened. It’s been widely covered now that the EU simply funded the expansion of AZ European plants, in the hope that that would yield faster supplies. Unfortunately due to issues at the Belgian plant this hasn’t as yet been the case.

Also, the contract does not mention priority supplies. It simply states that the initial 300 million doses will be supplied exclusively to EU countries from the EU plants, with a clause for an additional 100 million from EU, U.K. plants and plants in other countries.

Jizique wrote: »

Is she not a member of the Commission?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Staggering behaviour from the EU. No consultation with the Irish Government and they invoke Article 16 and bypass the cherished Northern Ireland Protocol in one rash decision. If the UK did this there would be outrage. People you need to wake up. The EU have shown in two seconds exactly how important Ireland and the peace process is......i.e not at all important in their eyes and only something to be used when it suits them (i.e during the Brexit negs to bash the UK).

UK are making serious progess with the vaccine roleout, EU have made a total hash of it and now throwing toys out of the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Staggering behaviour from the EU. No consultation with the Irish Government and they invoke Article 16 and bypass the cherished Northern Ireland Protocol in one rash decision. If the UK did this there would be outrage. People you need to wake up. The EU have shown in two seconds exactly how important Ireland and the peace process is......i.e not at all important in their eyes and only something to be used when it suits them (i.e during the Brexti negs to bash the UK).

UK are making serious progess with the vaccine roleout, EU have made a total hash of it and now throwing toys out of the pram.

It’s worse than that. Remember the outrage at the proposed internal market bill from the Tories!! The EC have invoked article 16 and completely ignored the process. They should inform the U.K., they should then both sit down and discuss with the new joint committee to try to resolve before invoking it.

Effectively they’ve broken international law.

And let’s not forget it’s looking like we weren’t even informed!!

And as you say, if the Brits has done it they’d be outrage, especially from old Bernie and the impact of effectively creating a border and the GFA.

It’s gone very wrong at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Staggering behaviour from the EU. No consultation with the Irish Government and they invoke Article 16 and bypass the cherished Northern Ireland Protocol in one rash decision. If the UK did this there would be outrage. People you need to wake up. The EU have shown in two seconds exactly how important Ireland and the peace process is......i.e not at all important in their eyes and only something to be used when it suits them (i.e during the Brexit negs to bash the UK).

Seemingly it only took a phone call from the Taoiseach to reverse the decision to trigger Article 16.

As for the EU making a hash of the vaccine, I don't see why its the EU's fault that AZ has proved to be so unreliable.

• Advertisement

Is there a link to this decision having been reversed?

Advertisement