Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightning Surlaw - BBC Sound of 2021 - The Reveal!

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Zaph wrote: »
    Although I should point out that Zaph rhymes with safe, not laugh :D

I literally just got what your username is short for... I am an idiot... Was pronouncing it like laugh in my head too...

You'd think once over the years I would've copped it. Can't even blame too many Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters, it was just stupidity...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I literally just got what your username is short for... I am an idiot... Was pronouncing it like laugh in my head too...

You'd think once over the years I would've copped it. Can't even blame too many Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters, it was just stupidity...

Well my avatar might just be a clue... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,612 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Mark_Wing-Davey_as_Zaphod_Beeblebrox.jpg

Yep, only just got it myself :o
    Yeah, you'd think...!

I got more an 80s vibe off them- Madness with a touch of Police and the Specials.

I heard a touch of Madness too, though the singer's delivery reminded me of Alex Turner. I had that song 6th in my list so it just narrowly missed the cut (perhaps because I don't like Madness! :pac: )

This was my full set of listening notes, in order of listening:
    ME! wrote:
    1. Alfie Templeman - Forever Isn't Long Enough
    He's 17???!!! That's actually depressing. Why am I so old? Quite like the music in this, verses are good. Chorus is a little flat compared to rest of song but still, if he wrote this himself then it's disgusting that this came from a 17-year old. Oh how I wasted my youth.

2. BERWYN - Vinyl
    Voice sounds vaguely familiar....who is this reminding me off? "Never got to send my Granny away" made me go WTF? at first but makes more sense in the rest of the context of the song. This one has a bit of a story in it anyway. Pretty nice, has a memorable chorus which some of the others are sorely lacking.

3. Bree Runway - APE****
    Definitely hear some Missy Elliott in the voice. Is there a sample in this - that descending scale when she says "ain't shÃ*t, ain't shÃ*t..." sounds familiar. Anyway this is pretty crap, not interested in listening to this again.

4. Dutchzilla - Bando Diaries
    Rap not really my thing most of the time. Like this guy's deep voice though. HAd to look up the lyrics to get what he was saying, I'm not 'down with the hood' so lines like "I made her whip majj with a kitchen fork" went over my head. Meh, it's grand I guess. It's short, so has that going for it.

5. girl in red - rue
    Had high hopes for this based off the description but it's a bit meh. It's not bad, perfectly listenable but was hoping for something better. Seems like an album filler track more than a single. Maybe it's a grower but after two or three listens I find it underwhelming, which is a shame because lo-fi Nordic female singers are normally my cup of tea.

6. Green tea - Hu Man
    "Ma stripped me naked" - well that escalated quickly! Interesting voice, suspect it's one of those that's nice in small doses but gets a little grating after a while (e.g. Amy Winehouse, who the Youtube commenters seem to like comparing this to). Like all the things going on the background here, it's well produced.

7. Griff - Say It Again
    Nice voice, another one that sounds vaguely familiar, like it's reminding me of someone else but I can't think who. This one's a grower, the song itself didn't really grab me initially but picked up by the end, and on the second full listen it clicked. Very nice.

8. Holly Humberstone - Falling Asleep at the Wheel
    Getting London Grammar vibes from this one, voice isn't as deep but musically this is who this is reminding me of. The synth at 2:17 picks it up a bit, could've done without the Imogen Heap-esque vocoder bit after but that's only a small part. On first listen this was the only one I could imagine myself putting on a playlist for regular listening. Actually, on second listen, I'm thinking Lorde now moreso than London Grammar. Either way, very good track.

9. The Lathums - I See Your Ghost
    Arctic Monkeys crossed with Madness is what I'm getting from this – his delivery is very similar to Alex Turner, even if the accent is different. But there's a ska-like tempo in the background, and I'm not usually big on ska. Overall this is pretty decent though.

10. Pa Salieu - My Family
    No idea what he's saying in that first verse. His delivery is.....unusual. I think this one just went over my head a bit - 'tis far from the backroads of rural Ireland so I can't really relate.

More than a clue. Couldn't be more flipping obvious, I even remember the Hitchhiker's Forum back in the day, and still I'm over here in my head saying... ZaUgH, zAfF, wOnDeR dOeS tHaT mEaN aNyThInG...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

The interesting thing with Berwyn:
    He didn't catch my attention at all when I listened to him - neither the song nor his voice
    Couple of days after I sent my votes, this song that is on the soundtrack of the Fifa 21 video game caught my attention and guess what, Berwyn is in it. Here his voice works perfectly.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    The interesting thing with Berwyn:
    He didn't catch my attention at all when I listened to him - neither the song nor his voice
    Couple of days after I sent my votes, this song that is on the soundtrack of the Fifa 21 video game caught my attention and guess what, Berwyn is in it. Here his voice works perfectly.

Coincidentally, after Arghus saying he sounds like Sampha, it was an Everything Is Recorded song that got me into Sampha!
    I won't post a link though as I've submitted it for a current* Walrus :D

Are there any "current" Walruses? Have they all gone to live on a farm?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Coincidentally, after Arghus saying he sounds like Sampha, it was an Everything Is Recorded song that got me into Sampha!
    I won't post a link though as I've submitted it for a current* Walrus :D

I'm dying to get cracking with mine - but I want more players!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Arghus wrote: »
    Bump it so!

ShaneU wrote: »
    Bump it so!

I did, but my inbox remains unstuffed!

• Advertisement

Think the next few people in line need to get their Sign-Ups up and running or we'll be looking at a massive Walrus Drought for 2021. Needs to be a couple of sign-ups open at once to get things back on track, and if those next in line ain't ready to host yet, let people know they can jump the queue. Somebody should go crack the whip, get the ball rolling, we need more Walrus... ;)

giphy.gif

My surlaw is ready but I don't think the forum is ready for it, you're all going to hate it :D

My surlaw is ready but I don't think the forum is ready for it, you're all going to hate it :D

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Do what I did, blame someone else for the list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Arghus wrote: »

The categories are too hard. I'll try come up with some stuff I love which is not related to the category at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

I love a surlaw. Do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Clarabel wrote: »
    I love a surlaw. Do it!

Yeah me too as I don't have a massive range to offer to a Walrus when the categories are challenging. Love Surlaws though

I love a surlaw.
    lassykk wrote: »
    Love Surlaws though

Oh do you now, your opinion may soon change ;)

The categories are too hard. I'll try come up with some stuff I love which is not related to the category at all??

I'm sure you can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Boards once again showcases it's horrendous taste in music.

• Advertisement

Boards once again showcases it's horrendous taste in music.

Enter the Walrus so.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058135148

Stun me with your impeccable taste!

Advertisement