Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Bryan getting all #woke on Hamilton, only a decade later. :rolleyes:

“Sein-FIELD”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

What was Ryan’s take on the rugby?

As insightful as you would expect.

He doesn’t understand why Italy were allowed in the tournament, by the way.

“It’s all going to get better soon”, more empty promises.

Stomach churning sycophantic nonsense as usual, when Tubs interviews an American.

• Advertisement

When did Claire Byrne start doing a sports segment on her show? Serious question - is that a new feature?

Also serious multiple #woke boxes ticked by having Lyndsey Peat do the sports analysis. Great to see people there on merit.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Woke central this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Jaysus, is the export of food during the famine now in doubt.
    According to Toyman's little intervention there, it is.
    Is that official RTE and/or official FF-FG narrative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

"I worked for the Obama's for a number of years".

Well surprise surprise. Did you ask them how they got Jussie off his charges?

Tubridy does a shout out for a copy of a book he wants, hurriedly followed by stating he will pay for it, as he said: "not a freebie"

Seems as if someone has had a word in his ear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Jaysus, is the export of food during the famine now in doubt.
    According to Toyman's little intervention there, it is.
    Is that official RTE and/or official FF-FG narrative?

That was strange. I only caught the last few minutes. What exactly was he saying about it?

It's a very strange thing for Tubs to be a contrary on.

Tubridy does a shout out for a copy of a book he wants, hurriedly followed by stating he will pay for it, as he said: "not a freebie"

What is the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

When did Claire Byrne start doing a sports segment on her show? Serious question - is that a new feature?

Also serious multiple #woke boxes ticked by having Lyndsey Peat do the sports analysis. Great to see people there on merit.....

So many posters on boards seem to routinely believe a woman is incapable of doing sports analysis.

Its nuts that that this can be an viewpoint that goes unchecked. And this on a thread that bangs on relentlessly about 'woke'.

Oh but I forgot, this thread is a wry and sardonic look at the Tubridy show.

What is the book?

Something Hamilton related. I was only half listening.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    So many posters on boards seem to routinely believe a woman is incapable of doing sports analysis.

Its nuts that that this can be an viewpoint that goes unchecked. And this on a thread that bangs on relentlessly about 'woke'.

Oh but I forgot, this thread is a wry and sardonic look at the Tubridy show.

Not what I said at all.

I just asked since when is CB covering sports as this was new info. to me. Even you would surely accede it’s not what she is known for?

No issue with female sports analysts as long as they know their stuff. I watch an awful lot of American Sports. Jackie MacMullen and Doris Burke are two excellent NBA analysts, and I listen to Chiney Ogwumike’s basketball podcast. I also have 2 books penned by MacMullen on basketball fwiw.

What about merit however? I don’t know how much you know about Peat but she ticks a lot of boxes. Is it fair for example that she gets the gig over another female analyst who doesn’t tick said boxes? Just asking.....

I criticize Alan Quinlan on radio and rugby threads for being an appalling sports analyst, because he is exactly that. Quinlan got his gig because of who he was, rather than ability. That’s the problem, but if I dare say the same about a woman it’s sexist?

Mod - Please bring issues relating to Claire Byrne Show to relevant thread. Thanks.

Mod - Please bring issues relating to Claire Byrne Show to relevant thread. Thanks.

Aologies, only mentioned it as there was an ad. for the Cb show during the few minutes of Tubs that I caught.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Shut up about bloody American Presidential crap! Shut up! Just shut up!

A message to Mr. Bryan Turdriddy of RTE NK Management:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Members of the Irish Republican Army – Easter Rising & Irish War of Independence: 1916-1922
    Óglach Christopher Stephen “Todd” Andrews (6 October 1901 – 11 October 1985) was an Irish political activist and public servant. He participated in the Irish War of Independence and Civil War as a political and military activist in the Irish Republican movement. Tod Andrews never ran for election and was never a government minister. He was a supporter, though not a member, of Fianna Fail.
    Early life
    Andrews was born in Dublin, but soon acquired the nickname “Todd”, because of his perceived resemblance to an English comic strip hero. He was educated by the Irish Christian Brothers, and at University College Dublin.
    Nationalist revolutionary
    He joined the Irish Volunteers at the age of fifteen and had an active role in the Irish Republican Army during the Irish War of Independence. He was arrested and imprisoned in 1920, however he was released after ten days on hunger strike. He was interned at the Curragh in 1921 but he escaped. Andrews took the Republican side during the Irish Civil War. He was interned by the government of the Irish Free State until 1924. He then continued with his studies and graduated with a Commerce degree.
    Political career
    He got a job with the Irish Tourist Association and later with Electricity Supply Board. When the Fianna Fáil government came to power in 1932 Andrews was put in charge of turf development. He advocated the setting up of a properly managed commercial enterprise. In 1946 Bord na Móna was set up with Andrews as managing director.
    In 1958 he was appointed chairman of the Irish transport company, Córas Iompair Éireann. Aping the widescale closures in Britain (the Beeching Axe), he presided over closure of significant sections of the rail network which by 1962 included
    the Bray to Harcourt Street railway, now partially reopened as part of the LUAS Green Line
    the substantial railway network west of Cork city (Bandon, Bantry and Macroom and the associated branchlines to Clonakility, Skibbereen and Kinsale)
    the West Clare Railway and the legacy tramway around the Hill of Howth inherited from the Great Northern Railway.
    Caheriveen, Kenmare & Kanturk lines
    In 1966 Todd Andrew was appointed chairman of the RTÉ authority. Asked the difference between his new job as director of RTÉ and his old job as head of the national transport system, he is reputed to have declared, “RTÉ carries more passengers” (though this was a fairly common joke among Dubliners at that time).[1] He resigned in 1970 when his son, David Andrews was appointed Parliamentary Secretary to the Taoiseach.
    Later life and family
    He was the recipient of several honorary doctorates and degrees from various universities. He published his autobiography in two volumes in 1979 and 1982, under the titles of Dublin Made Me and Man of No Property.
    Andrews died in Dublin at the age of 84.
    He was widely known in his neighbourhood of Dundrum as being an arrogant, demanding & self-absorbed man (see the letters to his mother from his prison days)
    Two of his sons, Niall Andrews and David Andrews became TDs, with David Andrews becoming Minister for Foreign Affairs.
    Todd’s grandson, Ryan Tubridy, is a radio presenter and television chatshow host on RTÉ, while grandsons Barry Andrews and Chris Andrews were Fianna Fáil TDs. Ryan Tubridy has just been appointed (in May 2009) by RTÉ to be the next host of the television station’s long-running chat show The Late Late Show, whose legendary first host (and producer) was Gay Byrne. Byrne, in his memoir The Time of My Life relates how Andrews, when appointed chairman of the RTÉ Authority phoned the Director-General of RTÉ and ordered him to “sack that ****er Byrne” . The management politely declined.
    An interesting read... Must admit I never heard Ryans grandpa was known as arrogant around Dundrum, where he lived

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The aforementioned Todd.. bears a resemblance to Ryan I believe

• Advertisement

The aforementioned Todd.. bears a resemblance to Ryan I believe

Same Fido Dido head.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Stumbled upon an article on Todd andrews and his name isn’t actually Todd, he just resembled a cartoon character called Alonzo Todd. I attach a picture of alonso, can you see the resemblance?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I can see the family likeness.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/opinion/columnists/gerry-ocarroll/ryan-woos-laura-with-that-classic-james-bond-line-27892852.html

Ryan woos Laura with that classic James Bond line
    Gerry O'Carroll

November 19 2008 09:51 AM

ONE of the stars of morning radio, Ryan Tubridy, is purported to have ensnared the heart of the beautiful young model Laura Toogood.

Laura (23) has many strings to her bow.

She's beautiful, a championship horse rider, a successful model and she is studying for a Ph.D in IT.

The gallant Ryan was allegedly bowled over by her at the Burlington Hotel a month ago. So smitten was he that he invited her to the premier of the latest Bond movie, Quantum of Solace.

Like the dashing hero of the movie, Ryan swept her off her feet in true James Bond fashion.

At their first introduction, he is alleged to have said: "My name's Tubridy, Ryan Tubridy."

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/opinion/columnists/gerry-ocarroll/ryan-woos-laura-with-that-classic-james-bond-line-27892852.html

Ryan woos Laura with that classic James Bond line
    Gerry O'Carroll

November 19 2008 09:51 AM

ONE of the stars of morning radio, Ryan Tubridy, is purported to have ensnared the heart of the beautiful young model Laura Toogood.

Laura (23) has many strings to her bow.

She's beautiful, a championship horse rider, a successful model and she is studying for a Ph.D in IT.

The gallant Ryan was allegedly bowled over by her at the Burlington Hotel a month ago. So smitten was he that he invited her to the premier of the latest Bond movie, Quantum of Solace.

Like the dashing hero of the movie, Ryan swept her off her feet in true James Bond fashion.

At their first introduction, he is alleged to have said: "My name's Tubridy, Ryan Tubridy."

Not checking de date, at first I thought this was a recent hook-up and was going to suggest he be fined for failing to social distance from non-household/family members :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

That's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Business as usual with “illness” flagged in today’s promo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Heard him requesting something yesterday (can't remember what) but he made a point of saying "no freebies".

He always seems to have trouble finding stuff he wants, the poor lad. Someone should tell him about eBay. Plenty of independent Irish sellers there he can support if he wants.

He loves a bit of aul trolling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I think we will get an education on how the Beatles broke onto the American scene today.

• Advertisement

amlinopta wrote: »
    Business as usual with “illness” flagged in today’s promo.

Not at all meaning to make little of the poor woman, but this is so typical.

Advertisement