Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Options

Comments

So when did she have the curative surgery and how did it work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

i'm going to write a book about been stuck in a back room working off a picnic table for the last year

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

What an awful title.
    Self published ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So when did she have the curative surgery and how did it work out?

You have to buy the book to find out.

I'm waiting to hear her stoma story, to compare notes. Because you are offered colectomy when it gets very bad.

• Advertisement

What an awful title.
    Self published ?
    for an engineer you would think she would of realised that there was not enough space on the front cover for that title

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

dvcireland wrote: »
    i'm going to write a book about been stuck in a back room working off a picnic table for the last year

Sounds riveting.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sounds riveting.
    people will buy anything these days

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

I read her story in a newspaper a while ago, lot of the interviewees seem to be sourced this way, I start listening and sounds familiar and then I remember I read the same story in one of the papers (same with Ray Darcy).
    NIMAN wrote: »
    It appears the latter. As usual.

I am not sure how they source these people for interviews. Did this woman phone into RTE and say "I'd like to tell my sad story on the Tubs Show".

AllForIt wrote: »
    You have to buy the book to find out.

It wasn't mentioned at all. Seriously I say this because in such a severe case that she describes herself as having it is par for the course. Also did she get the crippling arthritis and skin ulceration that often goes with it? It's a much more complicated disease than we are hearing.

• Advertisement

no balloons or hugs for aido?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I'm using a picnic table too.

Pro tip - you can use the hole in the centre of the table normally used for the parasol as a way to run the wires from the laptop / monitors through to keep things tidy.

Ryan was working in rte as a lad!

There was already a retirement party in rte !

for an engineer you would think she would of realised that there was not enough space on the front cover for that title

Well she didn't realise she needed a visa for Australia and just admitted to working on national radio to working illegally in Australia.

The book is 120 pages and self published. I can't imagine their is much left in the book that we haven't just heard in that interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I can't believe Ryan's show is only on for an hour. And the Late Late for 3 ish. So what's his hourly pay rate then? Must be the highest in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I can't believe Ryan's show is only on for an hour. And the Late Late for 3 ish. So what's his hourly pay rate then? Must be the highest in the country.

Welcome stranger,pity the pubs are closed,we would buy you a drink .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

can't tune in today, did the lady you're talking about eat into tubs 30 mins waffle time? that must have been awful for him.

I look forward to the morning he sees a buzzard steal a child.

he'd love tayto park, i brought my kid and her friend and they were fixated on a snowy white owl, just then the zoo keeper arrived with a bag, and seemed excited he had an audience of 2 7 year old girls, and promptly whipped out a selection of recently dead chickens. The girls are tough but what followed was what i can only describe as a blood bath, the cute little owl (massive yoke) had blood all over it's face and body and literally tore into the chickens like a savage!

I said to the girls, this is right up DLB's street.

I have just had a quick look at the reviews for Rachels book on Amazon. They are all weirdly similar describing it as beautiful and an easy read.

Some of the pages can be read in Google books. It's dull (at least the pages I read) with a unusual prose style ememplified by the lyricism of her title.

With all that said, I hope things get better for her and wish her all the best. It sounds like a particularly horrible illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Duffy is on more per hour actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭KevRossi

LLS is 2 hrs 15 mins at the most. Scheduled for 21.30-23.45 outside of COVID.

He does 5 x 1 hour on the radio. Put he spends a lot of the radio show talking about the LLS anyway. As well as that, there's the pre-determined 'specials' on the LLS such as the Toy Show, Valentine's Day, usually 2 Country & Western speicals etc. This is from about 32 shows they do a year.

When you then consider the revolving system of interviewing the same people, sometimes 2-3 times a season, interviewing RTE heads and interviewing people he had on his radio show, or who have been on other radio shows recently, then it's not exactly heavy lifting. Most interviews last 17 minutes max. He doesn't think on his feet, he just reads the prepared questions off his cue cards. Very little prep overall.

If he does revert to what Gay Byrne used to do and does an open forum discussion on something you can be sure he'll let you know about it a week in advance. It's gone very lightweight.

There are very few people in this country of 5 million people who have as cushy a job as Tubridy. Joe Duffy is probably the only one who springs to mind.

• Advertisement

2 books received! Shipped over night!

Edit a 3rd book was sent in as a preview

What ever kind soul that is looking after the freebies list is going to have a very busy morning ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

And we are back!!!

Free signed Rick Stein in France book
    Free American edition of Liz Nugent Book
    Free Frederick Douglass book (as asked for earlier this week).
    Free Sanatorium (Abi Palmer) Book

PieOhMy wrote: »
    2 books received! Shipped over night!

Edit a 3rd book was sent in as a preview

4 in total, caller! And no mention of payment for any of them.

I believe the term is dubbing Ryan.

Taking his foot off the C word to give it a break for a while!!!! Does he mean covid?

IF ANYONE IN RTE IS READING THIS THANK YOU SO MUCH! PLEASE STAY IN THE SUNSHINE!

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Taking his foot off the C word to give it a break for a while!!!! Does he mean covid?

IF ANYONE IN RTE IS READING THIS THANK YOU SO MUCH! PLEASE STAY IN THE SUNSHINE!

And Cancer, please????

4 in total, caller! And no mention of payment for any of them.

Another freebie V2 by Robert Harris.

Another freebie V2 by Robert Harris.

TYFYS.

Did I miss something about free coffee beans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rocky1813

Free coffee beans

Advertisement