Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tina Satchwell *Mod note in op*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

When has a Judge or Commissioner every been taken to task over an erroneous warrant?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cases have failed in the courts over errors within a warrant and one that jumps to mind is that against Brian Curtin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

And the brand new construction involving bricking up, ie concealing, a potentially very useful storage space for absolutely no apparently reasonable purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

look if you were doing the search and the husband had waited 4 days to report the wife missing and the garden was all dug up how would you proceed?

its not illegal to have a 6 foot by 4 foot square dug in your back garden, its not illegal to have a hole in your garden

its not illegal to have a shovel lime rope and some black bags in your car either

sure she probably with no history of it, up sticks with no car, no passport and some made up money

look at murders that take years to solve, they totally rely on big breaks, not police work, just like on TV, most of them even more mad than on TV

The suspect is Hat-less, I repeat Hat-less

Post edited by monkeybutter on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭BagofWeed

He always came across as a whackjob but to actually put the body in the house is total bampot stuff altogether. I previously had presumed if he had done it that he would have disposed of her body along the Blackwater where it would probably never be found.

Have a feeling he could have initially put her body in the house next door or possibly at the lock up near Killeagh, imagine digging a grave in your own house while her disappearance is a national news topic. At any moment guards could have arrived for something and that mad crackpot digging a grave with piles of earth, bags of cement and a shovel on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Rest in Peace Tina.

Cant begin to imagine how her family are feeling this afternoon, some form of closure at the least. I hope her family get the justice they deserve after 6 long years.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Irrelevant to my point.

But that warrant in that case expired. That is nothing to do with who issued it.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

So really only for the neighbour being quick to spot something the miss , she be still lying there today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

The Garda were absolutely incompetent in this case, the same squad that ruined Sophie’s case in Skull

• Advertisement

Apparently all of this work was done in the 4 days before reported missing. So it was complete by the time the Gardai arrived on scene - but I do wonder when the work started

sure he was only too delighted to be looking for his darling wife

and sure cobh police station only has one car and its out at an accident /chipper run right now

you dont even need to dig the whole house up, its obvious where he buried her

now imagine this is your sister

1. she goes missing
    2. 4 days
    3. reported missing
    4. brand new freshly laid floor in the bathroom that hed been working on for the 4 days she was missing
    5. has no answers to any of the logical questions asked that make any sense

now change the scenario

1. she goes missing
    2. he killed her buried body anywhere except the house which is mental
    3. reported his missing maybe that even or the next day
    4. you come down to talk to him, house is exactly the same as its always been
    5. isn't acting like a mental case

how do you deal with both scenarios

He managed to lay this on his own, poorly mixed diy concrete job done under duress and time constraints

SHOVEL

and plenty of cases have proceeded even after problem with warrants

Busy afternoon ahead so I may as well say it now.

IBTL

Hopefully this thread won’t be closed for too long

RIP Tina

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭BagofWeed

In drug searches guards routinely drill into wall cavities and use cameras and have cause structural damage to countless properties yet we are expected now to believe that despite them being in the Satchwell house before, crazy Richard even states that he gave them a key so they can enter at will, that they wouldn't have noticed there was work carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Juran

My heart goes out to her family.

And Tina's dogs. I hope her family are caring for them, or someone they know. I,d hate to think they are in kennels. Poor wee mites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Richard said on Red FM that Garda got a locksmith to break the lock and made a bad job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

Imagine walking down those stairs at midnight for the last few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Killinator

If I was doing the initial search o would have gone in and taken note/tried to find evidence of where the missing person has gone. I couldnt really do much else on a missing person search in someone's private property.

It's not illegal to have a hole in the garden or the other stuff you mentioned. But a grave in the backyard or implement all together in the boot of a car can be inferred a certain way (as opposed to lime in the shed, bags in the house and ropes in the boot). He'd be asked about those things and inference made with his answers. It's very easy to explain a new wall, less so a grave sized whole in the back yard or equipment to dispose of bodies all together in your car.

The Gardai had no reason to believe the construction work had only been done a matter of days, it could've been started weeks before Tina 'disappeared'. I have a patch of the yard here where the gravel is different to another area because it's laid recently. It doesn't mean there's a body underneath or even an indication of a body, even if my wife is missing or not (she isn't )

And her previous history is not an indication that she wouldn't have left all of a sudden in the manner suggested. Believe it or not I've had a couple of people do just that but we're found a few weeks later, suicide. No previous indications or issues, just got up one day and left.

I agree, many murders over the years have required 'big breaks'. That's how these things go. Plenty of unsolved murders/disappearance all over the world never get that big break and sometimes that's all the investigating body has to go on. But once the big break is given, it has to be acted on, and it was in this case. There's a hell.of a lot of paperwork between when this break occured and when hopefully this c*nt here's guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MMAbhoy

Hi a couple of genuine questions based on your knowledge/experience: was the reason there was no smell because of the depth he had buried the body? and 2 - could the Guards have brought a cadaver dog under the invite that satchwell had given them on previous ocassions to search, negating the need for a warrant?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Don't lock him up. Get him started on Metrolink.

Re smell, it's possible that due to Dept it was not noticed. He also could have had airfreshers working overtime in the house just in case.

They could have got a cadaver dog but they would have needed his permission to bring the dog in which he could refuse for any number of reasons, because he had his own dog and didn't want it upset, for example. He could also act offended and say it was a disgrace for them to bring in dogs like that, and did they think he was a suspect. This would have been at a time where she's still just missing and the Gardai (assuming they had suspicions)would be trying to keep him inside in the hope he slip up or say something contrary to previous explanations.

“Tina, I think we could do with installing a downstairs toilet, I’m going to start work on it there, will require some digging down to the drains to connect up.”

yes found a few weeks later is the key. People kill themselves all the time, it doesnt take 5 years

you know full well previous history makes a massive difference is how missing persons are treated, its one of the reasons people target prostitutes and why the police don't take a missing prostitute seriously. Of course opportunity is another one

Its why the missing middle class mom is found in weeks

freshly laid hole in a garden... i dunno what to say about you, you can go digging in a missing persons case based on the most dubious of tips, if that isnt enough evidence for you.. I'd be phoning in the tip myself

hey my missing sister is buried under the stairs, he told me himself

apparently the place was searched forensically.. not 100% but some one posted said this, why would you do that

this lad couldn't explain away anything, didn't even try

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Especially as they knew it was “that house” anything amiss would raise alarm bells *1000 times

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

There’s several women missing out there at the moment. Off you go with your shovel.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MMAbhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If he lived in a house in the country with no Neighbours, he would never have been caught, scary thought.

You can't go digging unless you have something to work on.

Someone calling a station and saying he saw you bury your wife in the back yard after she's been reported missing is a substantial potential eye-witness tip and would be questioned for more details. Also there's a big difference between a freshly dug hole in the garden and a freshly filled in one.

The open one would obviously be easy to inspect visually and would not likely have a body in it. A covered/filled one could be anything from new flower bed that Tina was working on to the grave she now lies in. If you've no concrete evidence she is dead, all you can do is note it for when you hopefully get a break for a proper search.

I don't know if it was searched forensically previously, that could just mean looking for fingerprints or blood, which Richard could have allowed knowing there was neither to cause concern.

Some people disappear and are found, often dead by their own hand, some people aren't, many people jumped into the sea never to be recovered. Missing people disappearing happens all the time. This ladies disappearence was out of the ordinary, correct, which is why it was still being investigated even after being reported in2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement