Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Christmas Out of Season 2021

  • 10-01-2021 2:05pm
    #1
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    Cheap Christmas Treats in January?
    Someone with their tree still up in February?
    A Christmas film on TV in the middle of March?
    Fairy lights for sale in April?

    Anything festive left lying around the house?


    If so, this is the thread for you! Come in and let us know if you've seen something magical and festive at any random time of the year.
    And photos of anything festive are always very welcome.


«13456711

Comments

  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    I’ve 2 The Snowman themed boxes of tissues left around the house and an USB light up Christmas tree in the converted office.

    The wife is a stickler for getting rid of all Christmas decorations but it’s my office my rules :P


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭ mirrorwall14


    I’ve nearly got the house sorted for decorations. But I think I’m leaving my mantelpiece decoration this year. And I haven’t taken down the outside lights!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭ mirrorwall14


    Loughc wrote: »
    I’ve 2 The Snowman themed boxes of tissues left around the house and an USB light up Christmas tree in the converted office.

    The wife is a stickler for getting rid of all Christmas decorations but it’s my office my rules :P

    My office desk is still decorated. And I actually still have snowman loo rolls in use!


  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭ Eskie


    Lol as I read this thread, I've just spotted jingly bells unintentionally left on the pantry door :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭ DvB


    My daughter asked us if she could keep her battery operated lights that we had on the kids beds up, so we said why not. So they'll stay up til they break basically.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens




  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    I went for a long walk this evening to get in the exercise groove again and I spotted 24 houses/apartments with either lights or decorations still up.

    It was 4 houses with trees up and 20 apartments with lights still on their balconies.

    While I hope they still lit a while longer I totally get taking them down cause if they were up all year they wouldn’t have the impact they have when they first go up.

    The Christmas playlist is retired now. I tried listening to it on a walk tonight and just wasn’t feeling it. I was trying to recapture the magic from the November/December dark walks. Alas it wasn’t to be. Back to podcasts for the moment.

    I’m at the stage where the dark evenings have lost their magic bring on the stretch in the evenings and the dark evenings can stay away until September.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭ DvB


    Loughc wrote: »

    The Christmas playlist is retired now. I tried listening to it on a walk tonight and just wasn’t feeling it. I was trying to recapture the magic from the November/December dark walks. Alas it wasn’t to be. Back to podcasts for the moment.

    I’m at the stage where the dark evenings have lost their magic bring on the stretch in the evenings and the dark evenings can stay away until September.

    With you on that 100%

    I think the last day of Christmas FM during the week was the last hurrah for the tunes until November.

    Roll on summer and the longer brighter evenings.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens




  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 26,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Posy


    Loughc wrote: »
    I went for a long walk this evening to get in the exercise groove again and I spotted 24 houses/apartments with either lights or decorations still up.

    It was 4 houses with trees up and 20 apartments with lights still on their balconies.
    I love that you counted. :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭ Autosport


    I constantly mix up DVB and Loughc am I alone in this :(

    I likes you both :D


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    Autosport wrote: »
    I constantly mix up DVB and Loughc am I alone in this :(

    I likes you both :D

    I’m the one when the santy hat avatar all year. Easy way to remember it :P


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 26,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Posy


    Autosport wrote: »
    I constantly mix up DVB and Loughc am I alone in this :(
    Yes. Yes you are. :pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,211 ✭✭✭✭ freshpopcorn


    There’s s shop called DV8 and I thought for ages that was DVB username!


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    There’s s shop called DV8 and I thought for ages that was DVB username!

    Same I kept getting the 2 names mixed up.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭ mirrorwall14


    Listening to Ariana grande something about December this morning. I want to learn it and record it for next year (I sing and play piano). I got a mic from my husband for Christmas!


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 26,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Posy


    Oh, mirrorwall, you talented thing!


    I ordered a book of Christmas songs for the piano last night, so I can learn them during the year and have them good to go for Christmas. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭ DvB


    There’s s shop called DV8 and I thought for ages that was DVB username!

    I use a small v though, that (on other forums anyway & back in my DJ'ing days) has avoided the B being mistaken for the number 8.

    Simples:D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens




  • Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭ TRS30


    Left lights on tree in front garden and inside all fairy lights are staying up for awhile yet as well.

    Saw one of those 'save for Christmas' ad on the TV last night.


  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭ pigtail33


    I was watching The Way We Were on RTE 1 last night, all about how our shopping habits have changed over the last few decades, and they played a snippet of the Penneys Christmas ad. They really should bring that ad back, or at least the jingle.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    pigtail33 wrote: »
    I was watching The Way We Were on RTE 1 last night, all about how our shopping habits have changed over the last few decades, and they played a snippet of the Penneys Christmas ad. They really should bring that ad back, or at least the jingle.

    I know a couple of years ago the jingle played as a radio ad. Obviously they weren’t advertising in late 2020 as they weren’t even sure if they could open or not.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭ TRS30


    pigtail33 wrote: »
    I was watching The Way We Were on RTE 1 last night, all about how our shopping habits have changed over the last few decades, and they played a snippet of the Penneys Christmas ad. They really should bring that ad back, or at least the jingle.

    I knew Penneys was popular however never knew how popular till it was forced to close during the different lockdowns.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭ pigtail33


    TRS30 wrote: »
    I knew Penneys was popular however never knew how popular till it was forced to close during the different lockdowns.

    I'm the same, it's mad. I haven't been in Penneys since at least the start of last year, but can't say I've missed it. According to that programme last night, they rarely advertise either, well at least not on TV. Apart from the Christmas ads they used to run.


  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭ Eskie


    I'm currently wearing my Grinch slippers, purchased in Penneys :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭ Eskie


    On the way home from work today, I was delighted to see one of the neighbours still has their tree up with the lights on :) I'd had a tough day at work so it really cheered me up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭ DvB


    Still seeing the adverts for that Christmas savings club on TV3 in the breaks for the chase.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens




  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    DvB wrote: »
    Still seeing the adverts for that Christmas savings club on TV3 in the breaks for the chase.

    Yeah same here. They’ve been advertising for the past 2
    Weeks. I wouldn’t go near them after what happened to the Christmas hamper company last year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭ DvB


    Loughc wrote: »
    Yeah same here. They’ve been advertising for the past 2
    Weeks. I wouldn’t go near them after what happened to the Christmas hamper company last year.

    Agree. Those savings clubs have history for collapse and ordinary hard working folk losing their savings. Wouldnt touch them.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens




  • Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭ Autosport


    Loughc wrote: »
    Yeah same here. They’ve been advertising for the past 2
    Weeks. I wouldn’t go near them after what happened to the Christmas hamper company last year.

    Which one was that?


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc




  • Registered Users Posts: 8,731 ✭✭✭ Caranica


    Was on a zoom call tonight and people got all excited about my tree being up and lit. I love it. Definitely up until at least the end of January :D


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    Merry Britmas’ first podcast of the 2021 season is up today. I love when they release episodes out of season makes it feel Christmassy anytime I throw one on.


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement