Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your line is weak but your point is strong: Liveline from 10th January

Options

Comments

Psychologically difficult knowing you are the offspring of a rapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

National "We Made A Bollix Of Things In The Past" Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,770 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Young man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Red Fred

His wife is still alive. Joe's voice changes to an air of disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Outrageous behaviour from Duffy. Broke this man live on the air for his own gratification.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your work Joe, and your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Hard to believe but they are warming up for liveline on the news now. Talking about bereavement and grief and funerals in times of covid. The reporter even has a Joe Duffy style sad voice! Rte = perverse.

I was listening to that. Cian Mccormack. He went to the same school as I did. Don't know where he picked up that stupid accent since.

December 16th is a week before Christmas. Who knew?

cozar wrote: »
    joe trying to imagine the pain of a salt bath.

He'll be trying it out this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

J f Kennedy whose father had his sister incarcerated in an institution and operated on because she was different

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

"I have a certain understanding of the business". i.e. Like all the rest of the callers, I used to work in RTE

TYFYS Joe

Joe will lash out the adbreaks now and sign off at 3 and go into another adbreak before news

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Red Fred wrote: »
    Joe will lash out the adbreaks now and sign off at 3 and go into another adbreak before news

Wonder if you bought a primary ad slot so to speak and it ended up dumped in at 3pm would you get a discount?

Red Fred wrote: »

You wouldn't have Saturdays lotto numbers, by any chance?

Wonder if you bought a primary ad slot so to speak and it ended up dumped in at 3pm would you get a discount?

That's what I keep saying about Joe's cramming the ads in at the end, when likely people are either switching over or gone out to the jax after holding in the tea throughout the show, or making another one or putting the rubbish out etc. People are paying less attention at that time in the show so the ads should not be considered as useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,898 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Thanks for your work Joe, and your team.

Bejabus, I thought for a minute your account had been hijacked.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

When you get into de Dead Sea you find out very quickly where you have raw bits, Joe. He obviously never tried floating in it. Aptly named for him, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

What is wrong with some of the posters on this thread? Some nasty mean spirited posts not only about JD but also about the callers who contribute to the show.

Todays show was was quite upsetting to listen to and it has been the same since that M&B Homes report was released last week. Many of the callers had very sad and harrowing stories to tell of their own experiences so no fairy tales or fiction - real stories that our fellow citizens went through and they had some really tough times.

It was heartbreaking to listen to that very upset man on the show today. Some people on here seem to forget that we don't live under the same regime as many of our grandparents or even parents did. Things were very different back in the 1950/60/70/80's. A little bit of compassion and kindness for anyone who had difficult experiences and chooses to share them so that future generations will not have to suffer them is not too much to ask IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Oh hello!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

What is wrong with some of the posters on this thread? Some nasty mean spirited posts not only about JD but also about the callers who contribute to the show.

Todays show was was quite upsetting to listen to and it has been the same since that M&B Homes report was released last week. Many of the callers had very sad and harrowing stories to tell of their own experiences so no fairy tales or fiction - real stories that our fellow citizens went through and they had some really tough times.

It was heartbreaking to listen to that very upset man on the show today. Some people on here seem to forget that we don't live under the same regime as many of our grandparents or even parents did. Things were very different back in the 1950/60/70/80's. A little bit of compassion and kindness for anyone who had difficult experiences and chooses to share them so that future generations will not have to suffer them is not too much to ask IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭golondrinas

That's what I keep saying about Joe's cramming the ads in at the end, when likely people are either switching over or gone out to the jax after holding in the tea throughout the show, or making another one or putting the rubbish out etc. People are paying less attention at that time in the show so the ads should not be considered as useful.

The auld tae wouldn’t be strong enough. Hendricks Gin or Grey goose vodka to numb the pain then you would find yourself gibbering to yourself and refusing to come out. (Of the jacks).

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I tuned out very early today, looks like that was a smart move on my part.

Why are you defending Joe Duffy? The man is a disgusting grief vampire who gets off on the pain and misery of others, if you were more familiar with the man’s presenting style you would know this? I only heard a small part of the show today but I would speculate that almost all of the comments were aimed at Duffy rather than any caller. Perhaps you should direct your anger at RTÉ/Joe Duffy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Some fantastic jokes about Denny and sausages, though.

If you're looking for empathy, or humour, you're in the wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Some fantastic jokes about Denny and sausages, though.

If you're looking for empathy, or humour, you're in the wrong thread.
    TYFYS

The posting on this thread is pointed towards the way the incumbent host handles such calls, as opposed to eg. Katie Hannon, a much more genuinely compassionate presenter who fills in. I grew up in the 60s, remember the Ireland of the times and was extremely lucky to have worldly-wise parents who weren't obsessed with the social status quo of the times. My friend, on the other hand, had parents with a horrific attitude typical of the worst of old Ireland, they only died last year and have left a very bitter legacy to her. A work colleague committed suicide as a result being raped by her "religious" father who was a major pillar of his community and church, and well known in RC circles. A lot on the thread here are quite familiar with the horrors of old Ireland.

This thread often provides a safety valve from the grief and worries around us, there's a supportive element here, and it shouldn't be taken too much at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have total respect for the survivors of those hell holes

The issue is the man getting his weird kicks over the details of their harrowing stories

I don't subscribe so can't read the full article but this is likely to be the only topic discussed today:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/can-any-of-the-top-10-earners-at-rte-put-hand-on-heart-and-say-im-worth-it-39997753.html

And by likely I mean not a chance in hell.

• Advertisement

I don't subscribe so can't read the full article but this is likely to be the only topic discussed today:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/can-any-of-the-top-10-earners-at-rte-put-hand-on-heart-and-say-im-worth-it-39997753.html

And by likely I mean not a chance in hell.

Will he incorporate the current song " Money Talks" into the promo?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement