Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter's alleged bias towards left-wing trolls.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Has anyone posted the undercover video of Jack Dorsey saying banning the presidents account was only the first step and he plans to do more like it after the inauguration?

Does this even exist or is it just a fake news suggestion you came across?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

It seems lots of news outlets are carrying the story, Mail, Telegraph, etc. but yet to see the video or recording on line. Even LiveLeak has nothing ?

It hasn't existed (on any large scale at least) and not even the Soviet authorities claimed they achieved it, it was always over the horizon, a vague promise of a future of abundance and leisure.

Ah yeah.. but then, maybe Germany wasn't real fascism..
    You realize this is the typical bolshie teenager viewpoint?..

Utopia, across a sea of blood..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Ah yeah.. but then, maybe Germany wasn't real fascism..
    You realize this is the typical bolshie teenager viewpoint?..

Utopia, across a sea of blood..

You having an argument with yourself there sweetpea?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    It seems lots of news outlets are carrying the story, Mail, Telegraph, etc. but yet to see the video or recording on line. Even LiveLeak has nothing ?

• Advertisement

I listened to Jacks evidence to the Senate, my god he has to be the smuggest man on the planet, there is no way I could talk to him face to face..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

lmfo at the comment "Was this recorded in a truck stop bathroom?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

BC Billionaire Given Green Light to Sue Twitter over Pizzagate
    West Vancouver billionaire Frank Giustra has been given the go-ahead to sue Twitter in a B.C. courtroom over the social media giant's publication of a series of tweets tying him to baseless conspiracy theories involving pedophile rings and Bill and Hillary Clinton.

In a ruling released Thursday, Justice Elliott Myers found that Giustra's history and presence in British Columbia, combined with the possibility the tweets may have been seen by as many as 500,000 B.C. Twitter users, meant a B.C. court should have jurisdiction over the case.

It's a victory not only for Giustra — whose philanthropic activities have earned him membership in both the Orders of Canada and B.C. — but for Canadian plaintiffs trying to hold U.S.-based internet platforms responsible for border-crossing content.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/pizzagate-twitter-defamation-giustra-1.5874201?cmp=rss

Why, oh why, do Twitter ban people who post this kind of stuff? Hhhmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Has anyone posted the undercover video of Jack Dorsey saying banning the presidents account was only the first step and he plans to do more like it after the inauguration?

Here you go,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Parler CEO John Matze, family forced into hiding over death threats, security breaches

"There is a group called UGNazi that is targeting me," Matze said, noting the controversial hacker group has released many of his passwords and personal information on the internet. "They published my street address, they threatened to come through my front door."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/parler-ceo-john-matze-family-hiding-deaths-threats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

biko wrote: »
    Parler CEO John Matze, family forced into hiding over death threats, security breaches

"There is a group called UGNazi that is targeting me," Matze said, noting the controversial hacker group has released many of his passwords and personal information on the internet. "They published my street address, they threatened to come through my front door."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/parler-ceo-john-matze-family-hiding-deaths-threats

There is absolutely no excuse for the violence against this man, all he did was try to give a space for free speech, one which was badly needed. A tiny minority of people abusing that did not warrant his entire business being ruined

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Twitter is a private content, it is more than able to curate content by removing accounts that doesn't suit its base audience.

However surely moderating means its culpable for what's posted on it? Not sure how it can have one and not the other

Twitter and other media platforms including boards have Terms of Use.
    Anyone who doesn't follow the terms may be booted off the platform.

I hope Twitter shareholders think it was worth the $5 billion stock drop to get rid of Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I hope Twitter shareholders think it was worth the $5 billion stock drop to get rid of Trump.

Trump literally made Twitter what it is today.
    He gave it non stop advertising, the likes of which money can't buy.

Before he came along in 2016 it was struggling to make a profit.

I remember saying in 2019 that Trump really should have had some business arrangement whereby he received some free shares for his work in growing the Twitter profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I remember saying in 2019 that Trump really should have had some business arrangement whereby he received some free shares for his work in growing the Twitter profile.

Wait what? Twitter has been an absolutely massive platform since like 2012 or so?

In Q1 of 2015 (pre-Trump announcing his Presidential run) it had around 302 million users worldwide.

As of Q1 2019 it had 330 million users after a dip in 2018 of like 336 million.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/282087/number-of-monthly-active-twitter-users/

I mean, don't get me wrong, Trump's nonsense on Twitter totally dragged in more viewers, just to see what madness he was showing that day, but it's madness to say Trump is the reason for it's success. Hell, it was projected to only become profitable by like 2020 back in 2015 due to it's extremely different approach to user information, lack of market place and ads than Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Wow people trying to credit Twitter's success to Trump.
    There is absolutely no excuse for the violence against this man, all he did was try to give a space for free speech, one which was badly needed. A tiny minority of people abusing that did not warrant his entire business being ruined

Parler being about free speech is laughable. Political stunt nothing more

Gonna need proof for the claim that Twitter was profitable as a result of Trump. Twitter stock was higher valued prior to 2016 generally. They've had a bit of value knocked off as late from Trump ban but that'll recover. The reality is he was becoming toxic to the brand.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-much-money-was-president-trumps-twitter-account-worth-11610395998

Twitter should be shut down by Amazon.
    There is nothing found on Parler you cannot find on Twitter.

It's not about speech, it's about Twitter making AWS kill off the competition.

That's branching off into conspiracy theory territory, got any proof that twitter had anything to do with Parler being taken down? I'd also suspect twitter don't view them as a notable competitor.

I think it was more about just silencing the Trump crowd over the last couple of weeks to get Biden's dodgy election over the line..

Between that and the ruckus at the capitol he got no hearing on the iffy election..

If they have to roll it back in a while they won't mind..

• Advertisement

lmao yeah okay Biko. Twitter is making Amazon and the worlds richest man kill off competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

The crying can stop, Parler is back online hosted by Epik, in fitting company with 8chan, Daily Stormer and Gab.

Parler get their free speech of what content they host. Amazon get their free speech of what content they host. Everyone can now be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The crying can stop, Parler is back online hosted by Epik, in fitting company with 8chan, Daily Stormer and Gab.

Parler get their free speech of what content they host. Amazon get their free speech of what content they host. Everyone can now be happy.

Brilliant. Good to know atleast one hosting provider isn't afraid to run content that isn't just good for PR

Sonics2k wrote: »
    lmao yeah okay Biko. Twitter is making Amazon and the worlds richest man kill off competition.
    It's what Parler claims.
    AWS is the world’s largest cloud service provider, controlling approximately one-third of the market, followed by competitors like Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure. Parler argues that getting kicked off AWS was a “death knell” for the site, since it’s been unable to find another host.
    And it claims Amazon made the call to protect Twitter, since the two companies signed a multiyear deal for web services last year. It also says it was banned because of “political animus.”

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/11/22225072/parler-amazon-web-services-lawsuit-antitrust-twitter-capitol-riot-incitement-moderation

Parler also claimed there were dozens of providers lined up and ready to provide their services. That was a lie and he was forced to admit it when the platform shut down.

They've managed to tell an awful lot of lies.

Hopefully right wing dopes will stop moaning about free speech now.... not a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

If Parler said the moon was made of cheese would you believe it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Manach wrote: »
    Leftists making gross simplifications:

Classic.

It was a Republician president, T. Rooseevlt that put in place the key Anti-trust provisions that kept in check the equivalent of Big-Tech back in the day from abusing their dominant free market position: Just as Apple, Google and Twitter are doing now.
    But try not to let historical context intrude into that hermatic world view.

The Republicans weren't really a more conservative party back then. Roosevelt represented the progressive faction within the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Look out everyone, the free speech understander has logged on!

• Advertisement

IMO

I would strongly recommend anyone who has doubts about free speech to get a short wave receiver and listen to the rubbish and blatant interfering our governments do with targeted SW broadcasting. Even as a 10 year old listening on a valve radio to the "Voice of America" broadcasting to China, Russia, I was quickly able to work out that a lot of what most governments tell you is heavily controlled and manipulated. Election interference was perfected by the UK and US and continues via world service broadcasting to this day.

When I got my amateur radio (Ham) licence I, like all other radio amateurs, had to agree not to discuss any politics on air. This is part of the licence conditions.

The UK + US spend $300,000,000 + per year producing short wave content and transmitting to other countries - why.

Its been going on for 50+ years and no surprise it continues now with the internet, the same tactics are implemented, why spend hundreds of millions on radio only to be side stepped by the internet.

I think no one worldwide, regardless of country, enjoys free speech its an ideal that we have yet to get close to and you could argue its unobtainable and possibly not beneficial to the human race as a whole. Humans are a pack animal, we run in packs, my family my village my party my country my race my Healy Rae.... This is demonstrated daily on platforms like twitter (and Boards), say something against a pack's beliefs and you will suffer the wrath of the pack..

Until we lose the pack mentality (maybe a few more hundred years of evolution) the free speech mess is unsolvable, there will always be a pack (state sponsored or not) to jump on you.

EDIT: Have a read here if you doubt my opinion, I believe their annual budget is in excess of 1 billion US$:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Agency_for_Global_Media

Advertisement