Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Sporting Venue Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

MCG.
    I think the atmosphere is slightly better and it can facilitate more sports than the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭hurlingman97

Mcg nicer looking, bigger capacity, has held bigger events.

And I don't like the Aviva

Imo neither deserve a semi final spot

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

MCG - I just can't get over how stupid the Havelock Square end of the Aviva looks. They may as well have gone the whole hog and not bothered putting any seating there rather than the few crappy rows that they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

MCG please, dont know much about it but looks like a better stadium, much bigger and help more important events. Aviva has done well to get this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Melbourne Cricket Ground advances to the semi-final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭tc20

Not a fan of either, but less a fan of the Aviva.
    MCG gets my vote.

Clash of the Celtic Nations coming in our next quarter final. Less than 10 minutes away.

St Andrew's

Home of the British Open

St_Andrews_Old_Fife_Scotland_17th_1_fsneuo.jpg

VS

Croke Park

Home of Gaelic Athletic Association HQ

croke-park.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Croke Park - Both have history and are the homes of their respective sports but I've enjoyed many a summer's day and endured many a cold winter evening in Croke Park whereas I've only seen St. Andrew's on the telly - as the GAA themselves say "Nothing beats being there". I'll be sticking with this all the way through seeing as my other regular stomping ground went out in the previous QF.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Croke Park

For me personally it's more iconic than St. Andrews. I'm aware that it probably isn't in all actualities but it's a deserving semi finalist for me for the years and years of historic moments - sporting and otherwise within the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Damn, thought it was going to be the Curragh and I had an incredibly witty anecdote about why I was voting for St Andrews but now...

Has to be Croker.
    A stadium like that, for an amateur, community based sport, it's incredible

Croke Park easy pick.
    Home of its sports, atmosphere unbelievable, it's every gaa players goal to play/win there.

As well as that has a massive history both sporting and political.

Thanks for the notification, Omackeral. Only seeing it now but my vote wouldn't have made a difference in first match anyway.

I'm following the thread but was on a call.

St. Andrew's. I'm not a GAA fan in any way, so I've no particular affection for Croke Park, and because there's no roof on it, the Hill end always looks messy and unfinished to me. And historical as Croke Park may be, St. Andrew's has history going back even further. It's one of the most iconic sporting venues in any sport, and golf has a much broader reach than GAA, so its iconic status is global. Plus it's my last remaining nomination. :)

image.jpg
    It has it all - one of the worlds great arenas
    Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Sporting venue - Croke Park as I've never been to St Andrews during a tournament. It has history but not history like Croker IMO. Croker has had many Irish iconic moments from GAA to the England match in the rugby, one of the very few times I've ever been so invested in a game.

Its an Irish forum and even though I'm not a huge GAA fan, Croker is iconic. St Andrews is a stunning venue though

Croke Park advances to the semi final

Next bout sees the sport of kings take on the sport of princes and sheiks

Circuit de Monaco

Home of F1 Monaco Grand Prix

f1-monaco-gp-2018-the-start-of-the-race-8482499.jpg

VS

The Curragh

Home of Tattersalls Gold Cup, Irish Derby

Curragh%2BRacecourse.jpg?content-type=image%2Fjpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Monaco for me.

For the glitz, the glamour, the boats, the beautiful people, the sunshine.

A muddy horsetrack on an Irish "summer's" day just doesn't do it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,855 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Circuit de Monaco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Monaco

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Monaco. I don't care that the race is often boring; that's not the question here. As a sporting venue, driving million-pound cars around a billionaires' town is better than a lovely horse in a bit of a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Monaco, personal preference I guess, would rather watch F1 than horse racing

Haven't been to the Curragh in years. Great galloping track perfect for horse racing.
    The atmosphere though has always been only ok and not nearly as good as Listowel or Galway or even Leopardstown christmas festival

Monaco gives great glitz and glamour and razmataz so I'm going for it.
    The weakest QF i think

I've already stated that I'm not a fan of the racing there, it's generally just not that exciting, but for everything else it brings as a venue it has to be Monaco. Show a non-F1 fan a picture of any random bit of another circuit and they more than likely wouldn't be able to identify it. But show them a picture of anywhere in Monaco and it will be instantly recognisable to them. That's how iconic it is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Gonna give the Curragh a pity vote here. Because it is a nice place to visit, just not as good as some others left in the contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭tc20

missed the first two QFS due to work..

have to give it to Monaco - it is instantly recognisable, the glitz, glamour, location, the yachts, the noise!!

Monaco is an iconic, world renowned venue.
    Don't follow either sport but even as an Irish person I've seen more of Monaco.

• Advertisement

The Curragh - Never been to Monaco, no particular desire to either.

Advertisement