Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Sporting Venue Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Collie D wrote: »
    I think there’s a miscalculation after Electric Nitwit’s post in your count, Omackeral...Aviva went from 1 point to 0.5 points.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    You are correct! Stand by for enquiry....

Ok so it appears Collie is correct and that I mistakenly subtracted 0,5 from Aviva. When it's put back on, it leaves us with a scoreline of 5.5 - 5.5. Now, in this instance I revert to the best reason. It would be easy for me to just pick one from the original ''winning'' side but I do pride myself on fairness and objective judging.

With all that said, I feel the best reason belonged to BrianBoru00 as it really went indepth.
    I'm again plumping for the Lansdowne Road stadium. It has all the history of the Aztec and more really.
    Great matches in two sports.
    I like the new design -
    Great atmosphere for rugby certainly.
    Great location.
    The oldest international rugby stadium in the world.

The Azteca is half the age and on the outskirts of the city.

Decision overturned

Aviva Stadium advances to quarter final

Augusta National Golf Club

Home of The Masters

AUGUSTA%20NATIONAL%202020%205.956x538.jpg

VS

Circuit de Monaco

Home of F1 Monaco Grand Prix

f1-monaco-gp-2018-the-start-of-the-race-8482499.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Augusta National Golf Club
    Stunning place, I'd love to go here someday to watch The Masters

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Augusta National Golf Club - Beautiful looking place on TV and more often that not the final round on Sunday throws up some drama.

Not much of an F1 fan since the demise of Jordan but judging by previous rounds, Monaco isn’t even the fans’ favourite track in this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭hurlingman97

Just 1 point on the best reason, the Aviva is newer than the azteca, Aviva is different to old Lansdowne road
    Anyway...

This is difficult, both huge venues in their respective sports, unfortunately for a reason point if view I have no interest in either so I'm gonna vote Monaco because I'd prefer to go there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,055 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Circuit de Monaco

A F1 race in the middle of the city impressive

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

So many iconic parts to Monaco. That bend in the photo, the tunnel, the ships at dock, and the cars racing on normal roads at 150mph.

The most coveted of Grand Prix wins; the ultimate test of a driver's ability.

Gives it the edge over Augusta for me

Circuit de Monaco

Because I've been there and drove the circuit and Monaco and glamour and stuff.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Augusta National. Even though I'm a big F1 fan, Monaco simply isn't the best circuit. It's a fabulous setting and it's one of the most glamorous events in the world, but the race itself generally turns into a procession based on how well drivers qualified, which detracts massively from it's sporting appeal. Augusta, on the other hand, well anything can happen at Amen Corner on Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Circuit de Monaco. My favourite of the Grand Prix Circuits. Used to be a passionate follower once. Jean Alessi was my favourite. He only won one Grand Prix.

Any way Monaco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,665 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Monaco, impressive city and race course

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Jean Alessi was my favourite. He only won one Grand Prix.

Montreal, one of my favourite circuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Augusta.

I was dithering until a poster above pointed out that anything can happen, and I remember (despite not being a golf fan in any shape or form) being absolutely GLUED to the telly for the final days of championships there. I'm not an F1 fan either but might watch the odd big one, and don't ever remember being riveted in the same way

And it's always sunny, and the azaleas looking like they were plastic, installed for the occasion, they were so fecking perfect.

I'd love to see it IRL.

So, it's close, but golf gets it.

Zaph wrote: »
    Montreal, one of my favourite circuits.

That's right. On his birthday or on that weekend anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭tc20

Monaco.
    It knocked out Spa which I voted for, its got the glitz, the glamour, the money, the location..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Very close. Both are iconic so I'll judge on their faults

Yes, Monaco is too slow, but the greens at Augusta are too fast.
    Monaco is too narrow, but the fairways at Augusta are too wide
    The Monaco clientele are a bit posh, but patrons at Augusta shout "get in the hole"

Yeah, that settles it, I fecking hate Americans shouting "get in the hole" :p

Monaco please

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

2 places I watch as much for the venue as the sport. But Augusta is just beautiful and I always associate it with birdsong and the soughing of the wind in the trees. Somewhere I really really want to go - Augusta

Augusta for me just for the sheer and utter excitement that can happen on a major sunday and Augusta has a highlight real that would put nearly any venue to shame

Very close. Both are iconic so I'll judge on their faults

Yes, Monaco is too slow, but the greens at Augusta are too fast.
    Monaco is too narrow, but the fairways at Augusta are too wide
    The Monaco clientele are a bit posh, but patrons at Augusta shout "get in the hole"

Yeah, that settles it, I fecking hate Americans shouting "get in the hole" :p

Monaco please

Fairways arent that wide at Augusta just ask bryson Dechambeau :D

Its a shot makers course have to be able to flight the balls both ways.

Also if you shouted get in the hole at Augusta you'd be turfed out and banned for life.

Close but not as controversial!

Circuit de Monaco advances to the quarter final.

• Advertisement

Irish derby up next... and one of them hosts the Irish Derby :P

The Curragh

Home of Tattersalls Gold Cup, Irish Derby

Curragh%2BRacecourse.jpg?content-type=image%2Fjpeg

VS

Valleymount

Home of Valleymount GAA

is-this-the-most-beautiful-gaa-pitch-in-ireland.jpeg

Valleymount GAA the vision of people who thought to make a sportsfield here. I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

The Curragh
    The other place is nice looking but The Curragh is more of an iconic venue, been there before and it was good fun

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Interesting roof on the Curragh but otherwise racetracks are very meh to me. Valleymount is in a gorgeous location so gets the vote

The Curragh

It's a proper sporting venue, the races are a great day out and the views are not bad either.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The Curragh. Neither probably deserve to advance over others but that's the draw. If we're talking Ultimate it has to be the Curragh over some field with nice scenery.

Ya plus one for the curragh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The Curragh - If I’m going to Valleymount I’m going for a nice walk, not a match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭hurlingman97

Gonna go Valleymount
    Looks unreal, unique, beautiful.
    I'm just trying to imagine the amount of sliotars in the water

Advertisement