Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interclub 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

It stands out like a sore thumb the small clubs popping up with unerring regularity in interclub comps. It stands to reason that no club should perennially successful and more so the smaller clubs with success in Bruen/Purcell etc recently

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NedBagg

I dont think anybody knows yet .. but one thing for sure is if it is the first of Jan 2022 then it will be carnage... based on this assumption I think certain golfers will be working their handicaps out in order to play Interclub off higher handicaps... This new system is much easier to manipulate particularly as you will be able to play casual rounds of 9 or 18 holes that will count for your handicaps right through the year. Actually if you having a willing accomplice you may not even need to play many holes...and my understanding is you can go out 5 shots with this new system.. open to correction here... I think it will have to be your lowest index this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Infoseeker1975

The new system is great for kids and people starting out as you can get lots of scores in without having to play in a competition.

In terms of inter club, I agree there will problems next year especially with Bruen & Purcell.

I have been too low for Junior cup for a few years and nowhere near good enough to play Senior/Barton Shield. However, if one wanted to come late Sept/Oct then in a couple of weeks you could post 5-10 scores for 9 holes and move into the 2.5 or even 3.5 for both Junior cup & Bruen. I will be trying to stay as low as possible though as that mentality imho is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭big_drive

Someone earlier mentioned 8 of same team playing at Pierce Purcell. That's a bit mad at that level, guys should be improving and not still at that handicap level

How about a rule that if you win all Ireland you can't play at that level again for 3 years?

Obvious downside is some genuine lads ruled out, but after a win you'd probably find it easier to accept.

Would allow more players in a club to get a shot at playing for the club too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

We beat Roscommon in the Fred Daly Connacht Final on Sunday. 3 in Roscommon and we won one. Won both at home. A really good performance by our young lads to beat Galway Bay in semi and then Roscommon in the final: we were 2nd favourites in both games!!

Cian O'Connor from Roscommon won his match on 15th and was -5, our lad was -1, some golf...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

fairplay to ye. Thats a cracking win. Roscommon are a quality outfit. Sligo boys are no slouches either obviously ;)

This was the scene in Roscommon carpark huddled around a phone awaiting updates of the deciding match at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Neewollah

Is there any was of seeing current how draws are progressing in each competition at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

https://www.golfireland.ie/inter-club#/customer/1759/schedule

Most of the competitions are in under the January Tab. SP still on for another PP title 🤐

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Neewollah

Excellent, thank you. I see a lot of the teams who did well in the Bruen last year doing well again.

• Advertisement

Heard that next years comps will be off your Jan 1 index again.

Carnage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

7 of the 10 players on Elmgreens fourball team in the semi final today would not be eligible next year. Would have been 8, if there was full availability

Thats how it should be

Rosses Point lost to Portumna in the Senior Cup Connacht Final yesterday. We had three at home, lost both away and lost one at home on 18. There was some great golf played in really tough conditions. Fair play to Portumna, a really good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I think its ridiculous that a final is played like that. It should either be 2 rounds, 1 home 1 away or in a neutral venue and one round. I know in this instance it didn't give yourselves any advantage. Portumna have a great team. Did Sam Murphy win his match?

Jack O'Sullivan does 2 rounds for the final and i think its a good format. Also when the final is over the team can celebrate together rather than having to wait until they get home that evening.

Where was the presentation? I presume not on the night?

Didn't hang around all that long but as far as I know, the presentation wasn't on in Rosses Point. That's the way all of the competitions have been this year regarding home/ away. I suppose the powers that be decided it was a safer way to get the competitions played rather than relying on the availability of neutral venues.

Yes, Sam Murphy won his match on 18. He went 1up on 14 by holing a greenside bunker shot (lucky to find his teeshot!). Our lad missed from about 6ft on 16, so 2up. Sam 3 putted 17th (in fairness, it would have been a really good 2 putt) to go back to 1up and halved 18 in par.

Fine margins...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LockedBoy

Tramore and Dungarvan through from East Munster for Senior Cup and Barton Shield - sounds like they beat Douglas well in both finals

Amazing consistency from the reigning All Ireland Bruen champions to get back into the All Ireland series again this year. 🙄

ah well, with the reduced handicap brackets, its to be expected that this year and last years finalists teams would be largely consistent

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Walter Alright

Spanish Point got beat by Nenagh in the Munster West semi final in the Pierce Purcell. Thurles are in the final of Munster East. I think Nenagh & Thurles have 2 Pierce Purcell each in the last few years. Should be a good Munster final if they both get there.

The last time a team from outside Munster won the Purcell was 2010 when the curragh won it.

Since then it's been

Clare, limerick, clare, clare, tipperary, tipperary,tipperary, tipperary, cork, clare and youd be hard pressed to not see a tipperary team do it again.

They build them different down south!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Just better golfers handicap artists down here

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Where's the Pierce Purcell final being played this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Golfer365

All Ireland QF SF and Final are in Limerick GC on Sept 16th 17th 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Beech Park are Leinster South Jimmy Bruen winners defeating Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Aliasjones

Where did ya hear that?

I wouldn't think its been decided yet...

Although given the dry conditions a few weeks ago and how easy it was to lose shots with new system maybe it would be harsh to take lowest index of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

The Country Clubs final ( which is for clubs with less than 18 Holes in Munster) was played today. It is 7 singles matchplay for 9.5 HI or above. Raffeen Creek were in the final at HOME and got beat 5-2. Any guesses who beat them??

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭plumber77

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

Are all the other Cup finals on there then, cant seam to find it on the Golf Ireland Website (link?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Senior Cup Finals was on over the weekend in The Castle G.C., Dublin

Thankfully question marks over WHS doesn't come in to conversation for this event.

Advertisement